S

submarine/carrier

Started by superhornet1015, January 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteWow,nice drawing.Looks like a cross between an A-4 Skyhawk and that F-119 stealth fighter that came out a few years back. I like it.
Thanks!!
Actually, my inspiration was the A-4 Skyhawk and... the Jedi Fighter from Star Wars Episode II!  ;D ;D ;D

Or they could be amphibious and simply taxi up a ramp into the hangars?
Hey! Never thought about that! An amphibious submarine! It could even carry hovercrafts with troops and vehicules!
That's not a "SSCVN" anymore, but a "SSLHD" or "SSLHA" !!  :lol:
With seaplane instead of Harrier!!

And we could keep the elevator for the helicopters, of course!! (Even if I fear that such a ship had to chose between the Air Wing and the troops, due to the size)

Hum, I think a Typhoon like submarine is a minimal size, what do you think?
Does anyone have the internal dimensions of a Typhoon Class SSBN? Or an approximation, at least?
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Rafael

I LOVE the concept of a submarine/carrier. In fact, I've been searching the web for months for images about the subject.

Daedalus Transport/Carrier from Macross:

Another one with a trio of F-35 aboard

With Seaplanes:

A (Russian?) Landing Transport:

My Favorite, chinese model with two Typhoons supporting the Hangar/flying decks:

Silo-Launched Fighters

VTOL and CTOL carriers:

The whole-nine-yards-submarine-carrier

Transporter/Erector/Launcher

And this one...

Sorry if got carried out....

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

The Rat

Quote from: Rafael on January 13, 2008, 04:46:34 PMSorry if got carried out....

Rafa

No need to apologize at all Rafa, those are SWEET! Some of them are so close to the pictures I had in my head that I get the feeling that my mind is being read by someone.

In a way I pity them.  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Carried ( away ) out ? Are you kidding me ? What a treasure trove of info ! Thank you very much !!!!! Do you have the full sized images ? I'm definately saving those to my files !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Yeah c'mon Todd-man, 'bout time you finished that sub carrier.

On a side not, when playing the classic Alpha Centuari, with its unit design feature, one of my favourites was to take a cruiser and add the submersible and carrier upgrades.  Sadly the upgrades didn't alter the appearence like changing one of the building blocks did (base type, armour, weapon etc).  Still, it was cool  :ph34r:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Joe C-P

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 12, 2008, 09:02:49 PM
I've got a Typhoon sub in a semi-state of finished-ness as a sub/carrier. Maybe I'll have to dig it out and show it off. Flying SHARs and Sea Kings. It's got a ski-jump that flips up in the front, and elevator in the front, and some bear trap devices on the back for recovery. After that, the a/c are sent down a ramp into the hangar for quick dives.

I did that with a Typhoon and some YaK-38s. Even the giant Typhoon, though, won't fit very many aircraft.

The bigger you make the sub, the easier it is to find, and the greater the risk of loss of buoyancy if there is a leak into the hangar. A hangar is simply a big space, and underwater those will fill up very quickly if breached.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

cthulhu77

Neat stuff. I wonder if the use of future composites would aid in the buildability of some of them...

superhornet1015

Hey Rafa,  That last one and the one before the Chinese one, thats what I'm talking about brother.Those look way cool,but there all way cool "what ifs". Got to love this web site. ;D ;D ;D  :mellow:

Pete

Rafael

Thanks, guys!!!

This is one of the topics I dream the most about. As Greg says, it seems to me that with the advent of new materials technology, it would be possible to build a practical vessel of this type.

It remains to be seen how to circumvent the inconvenience of bis sized subs JoeP talks about.

Then, it comes to mind how a battle group centered on a carrier submarine would be organized, or what types of ships/boats would compose such group.

And then there's brother Superhornet's fabulous idea of a cargo/transport submarine. I can easily imagine a tender type boat. Or an LST type. Or an arsenal-ship.

And I remember an (1980s?) concept of a submarine oil transport made of concrete, depicted in one Popular Mechanics issue.

So much to imagine....

Here's two I believe are from fellow whiffers Bluesman, or Planeman:

This is from the Ace Combat Game (Sorry, I haven't been able to find other views from this beauty):

And this one, I can't remember where did I find it...

Enjoy, imagine, and dream!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Captain Canada

Quote from: superhornet1015 on January 14, 2008, 03:08:03 PM
Got to love this web site.                                                                                             

Amen, Brother Hornet !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

One question, why couldn't you use Skyhook in conjunction with vstol fighters for your submarine carrier?  I could see it eliminating a number of the problems.  Still, though, I doubt you'd be able to operate that many aircraft from even a Typhoon-sized hull but it'd be interesting to work out.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Devil_505

If you're going the seaplane route, then try something derived from the Convair F2Y Sea Dart.  You could also try Zero Length Launchers like the Auerstadt submarine carrier from Macross Zero.

Tuck

Hey guys,

We might need a slight re-think of the subject, from a reality (I know BOO-HISS) standpoint.

I think the more probable scenario is as follows:

A smaller A/C carrying sub sneaks close to the coast of the enemy, partially surfaces and launches 6-8 A/C to penetrate enemy airspace and disable (i.e destroy) radar and communications, blinding the enemy from the main force, ala Desert Storm.

I think a more probable A/C carrying sub is along the lines of the original I-400 Japanese sub.  One tube-like compartment housing the A/C for a one-way exit from the sub.  The aircraft can mid-air refuel after the mission to make it back to a carrier or conventional land base.

You end up with a smaller sub.  Think of a converted Ohio class missle sub.  The "tubular" hangar is easier to waterproof, etc.

What do ya'll think?

Tuck
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

jcf

Quote from: Tuck on January 16, 2008, 10:50:37 AM
Hey guys,

We might need a slight re-think of the subject, from a reality (I know BOO-HISS) standpoint.

A smaller A/C carrying sub sneaks close to the coast of the enemy, partially surfaces and launches 6-8 A/C to penetrate enemy airspace and disable (i.e destroy) radar and communications, blinding the enemy from the main force, ala Desert Storm.

I think a more probable A/C carrying sub is along the lines of the original I-400 Japanese sub.  One tube-like compartment housing the A/C for a one-way exit from the sub.  The aircraft can mid-air refuel after the mission to make it back to a carrier or conventional land base.

You end up with a smaller sub.  Think of a converted Ohio class missle sub.  The "tubular" hangar is easier to waterproof, etc.

What do ya'll think?

Tuck

Any of the scenarios posit an enemy with effective, advanced and large scale air and sea defenses, otherwise you wouldn't need a secret squirrel airplane-launching submarine to carry out your sneak attack. The other requirement would be that the target didn't have nuclear weapons, because its likely that most anybody who has nukes that was suddenly attacked by pop-up out-of-nowhere amphibious raiders would probably respond with their nukes and...

So what kind of target would require this level of stealth?

Jon

Tuck

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 16, 2008, 11:29:38 AM
Quote from: Tuck on January 16, 2008, 10:50:37 AM
Hey guys,

What do ya'll think?

Tuck

Any of the scenarios posit an enemy with effective, advanced and large scale air and sea defenses, otherwise you wouldn't need a secret squirrel airplane-launching submarine to carry out your sneak attack. The other requirement would be that the target didn't have nuclear weapons, because its likely that most anybody who has nukes that was suddenly attacked by pop-up out-of-nowhere amphibious raiders would probably respond with their nukes and...

So what kind of target would require this level of stealth?

Jon

Hmmm.  Fair enough.  Good points to consider.  I guess I meant it could be more like a special ops type operation, ala Seals or Rangers, etc to provide air support.  Overkill, maybe.

Tuck
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf