S

submarine/carrier

Started by superhornet1015, January 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Power projection. If one of these behemoths popped up outta the sea in front of my economic exclusive zone, for all to see, when nobody saw or heard it approaching, I would surely need a new change of underwear. A very Sci-fi or 21st century version of "gunboat diplomacy".

And I would have one of two choices: make friends with the newcomers or wish for them not to dive and emerge closer to my house, to launch their airplanes.

One I forgot to post, regarding Evan's commentary:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

superhornet1015

Have to say that this is a very interesting subject that I started here i like all the idea's that are coming out.But it would have to be as big as the sub from that t.v. show "Sea Quest",if you remember that sub was a stealth sub of sorts to.

Pete

GTX

I'm surprised you haven't included some of the Lockheed proposals for UAVs/UCAVs launched from existing subs:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Rafael

Great concept I forgot, Greg.
Is that UAV a recoverable asset? does it return to the launching sub?

I also remember, can't recall which site, a proposal for a Boomer type loaded with VGAS (Vertical Gun for Advanced Ships) in each silo for Naval Ground Fire Support. I can only imagine what a "broadside" would look like.

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

elmayerle

Quote from: Rafael on January 18, 2008, 02:23:08 PM

I also remember, can't recall which site, a proposal for a Boomer type loaded with VGAS (Vertical Gun for Advanced Ships) in each silo for Naval Ground Fire Support. I can only imagine what a "broadside" would look like.

Rafa

ISTR that it was intended to have that option.  I've seen the fit-check mockup and it was rather interesting looking.  I don't know where they moved it to, though.  I suspect the Ground Fire Support boomer conversion would move a far distance down in the water if it fired a full broadside, consider how "only" nine 16-inch guns moved an Iowa-class aside.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Yes it is intended to be recoverable - in fact I recently read in either Flight International or JDW that such a recovery has recently been successfully trailed.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Rafael

Should be. Those cormorant UCAV babes are too beautiful to spend in one-way missions.

Again on the sub-carrier, in a more "conventional" way of launch/recovery, say for CTOL/ESTOL/STOVL/STOBAR the use of a catapult would be desirable. Is the EM catapult system proposed for CV-X and the like being trialed, or at lest in design stage, or is only a paper project?

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Joe C-P

Quote from: elmayerle on January 18, 2008, 11:31:49 PM

Rafa

ISTR that it was intended to have that option.  I've seen the fit-check mockup and it was rather interesting looking.  I don't know where they moved it to, though.  I suspect the Ground Fire Support boomer conversion would move a far distance down in the water if it fired a full broadside, consider how "only" nine 16-inch guns moved an Iowa-class aside.

Classic urban legend. Firing nine 1 ton shells out of guns would never move a 45,000+ ton vessel.
The VGAS would work from a sub, but wouldn't be very stealthy since the sub would need to be surfaced, which is the primary advantage of a submarine.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

proditor

Quote from: JoeP on January 19, 2008, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: elmayerle on January 18, 2008, 11:31:49 PM

Rafa

Classic urban legend. Firing nine 1 ton shells out of guns would never move a 45,000+ ton vessel.
The VGAS would work from a sub, but wouldn't be very stealthy since the sub would need to be surfaced, which is the primary advantage of a submarine.

JoeP

Wasn't there some math done to show that you could get a 1" per minute gradual slide if you fired a full broadside...

And the Iowa were somehow on a gigantic sheet of ice?

Gervasius

Quote from: proditor on January 20, 2008, 08:33:31 PMWasn't there some math done to show that you could get a 1" per minute gradual slide if you fired a full broadside...

And the Iowa were somehow on a gigantic sheet of ice?

There's this:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.htm

In short, on ice a Iowa would move 6 inches (150mm). In water, almost none.

Marko
Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

Captain Canada

Here's the state mine was in last time I had it out....a couple of years ago, I guess.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

superhornet1015

Hey Captain Canada, cool model.  All these ideas are cool and all,but,I was talking about Submarine/Carriers.My idea is that the vessel would have to be bigger than a Nimitz class carrier with the Island/Sail off to one side,I think Rafa had a cool drawing of one.Don't want to offend any one but I want to keep this to the subject at hand. ;D

Pete

Rafael

Hey, Captain and Superhornet. Did you receive my PM?

And, I really like that model of yours, Captain.

Hey, Superhornet. I really like your idea about big hulls. In fact that is the way I see submersible/submarine carriers. But We should benefit from all the ideas materialized in designs of several sizes. Like in the real world, where there are carriers of every dimension, I propose we explore all the whiffing potential of the concept, say from small helicopters/vtol carriers to supercarriers, with of without complete, conventional flying decks. What say?

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

proditor

Back to the topic at hand, somewhere on my shelves is that (IIRC) 1/400 Red October model that is going to be scale-o-rama-ed to 1/700 with a smaller island to be a submersible carrier.  Of course, there is the WHEN this might occur.  Smart money is guessing 2015.  ;)

superhornet1015

Hey Rafa,    point taken.I can see the point of maybe having some of them being the size of a Jeep carrier from WW2,makes sense  to me.

Pete