LCAC Models

Started by Captain Canada, January 11, 2008, 07:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Sheesh......it's 144th scale too ! Peeked inside the box today at my LHS, what a sweet kit ! Even has a rubber skirt ! I almost bought it, but since I'm short on cash.....

Maybe next week. I'm just wondering if a 144th scale SHAR could launch from it ?

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

Trumpeter is doing an LCAC! :wub: Why wasnt i informed either!
What scale is the airfix hovercraft (the mega on that travelled the english channel)? Decal swap for the 2 kits? :wub:

Captain Canada

I'm pretty sure Airfix' big hovercraft is 144th as well.

Too cool !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jennings

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 11, 2008, 10:27:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Airfix' big hovercraft is 144th as well.

Is your hovercraft full of eels? :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

kitnut617

The Airfix kit is 1/144, I picked one up not long ago when I was at the LMS.  I had built one years ago when they first came out and I've always wanted to travel on one, never did though.

slightly Off Topic,  does anyone remember the hovercraft shows that used to be done near Southampton.  My Dad took me to one, must have been in the 60's, and we went on a trip up and down the Isle of Wight coastline in a SRN.4.  Highlight of the show was the military demo, all sorts of huge hovercraft (British BTW and none I had seen before that time) disgorging tanks and troops etc in a similated coastal attack.  Funny enough I've not seen much of these hovercraft ever since.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2008, 07:11:59 AM
The Airfix kit is 1/144, I picked one up not long ago when I was at the LMS.  I had built one years ago when they first came out and I've always wanted to travel on one, never did though.

slightly Off Topic,  does anyone remember the hovercraft shows that used to be done near Southampton.  My Dad took me to one, must have been in the 60's, and we went on a trip up and down the Isle of Wight coastline in a SRN.4.  Highlight of the show was the military demo, all sorts of huge hovercraft (British BTW and none I had seen before that time) disgorging tanks and troops etc in a similated coastal attack.  Funny enough I've not seen much of these hovercraft ever since.

Robert

But Robert, if you travelled on an SRN 4 during a hovercraft show, you would have travelled on the hovercraft from the airfix kit?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: B777LR on January 12, 2008, 09:15:53 AM
But Robert, if you travelled on an SRN 4 during a hovercraft show, you would have travelled on the hovercraft from the airfix kit?

Doh!  :rolleyes: I meant an SRN-6.

Captain Canada

Speaking of which, it'd be nice to see some kits of the CCG Hovercrafts !

And lucky you, Robert ! I to had always wanted top get overseas to ride one before they went.....

:rolleyes:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 12, 2008, 09:29:55 AM

And lucky you, Robert ! I to had always wanted top get overseas to ride one before they went.....

:rolleyes:

Yeah! I was going to try and get on one back in 2001 when I went back to the UK for the first time in 21 years, but never got around to it, too many family members wanting me to visit them and only had three weeks to do it in.

I had set out to ride on three things, 1. fly on Concorde (strike 1) 2. ride on SRN-4 (strike 2) 3. fly on a 747 (base hit)  My next target it to fly on the A380.

Hobbes

The SRN-4 was on my list too. Left it too long  :banghead:

NARSES2

I was "lucky" enough to cross the Channel by Hovercraft - possibly one of the bumpiest rides I ever had. I think that was one of the problems as far as civilian use was concerned. The ride in a slight swell was a little unsettling, and English Channel/Slight swell go together like cheese and pickle.

The Hydrofoils are almost as quick but again can get bumpy, I prefer the ferry - no matter what the sea conditions are like, tie yourself to the bar and your'e there in no time  :lol:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

Quote from: Geoff on January 13, 2008, 02:48:02 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2008, 01:59:11 AM
I was "lucky" enough to cross the Channel by Hovercraft - possibly one of the bumpiest rides I ever had. I think that was one of the problems as far as civilian use was concerned. The ride in a slight swell was a little unsettling, and English Channel/Slight swell go together like cheese and pickle.

The Hydrofoils are almost as quick but again can get bumpy, I prefer the ferry - no matter what the sea conditions are like, tie yourself to the bar and your'e there in no time  :lol:

Yep, we went across on the hovercraft once bumpy isn't the word, and as noisey as hell. I prefer the the ferry too.

Tried the ferry once, but i will take a plane anyday (unless its a low cost carrier, and i end up in that horrible easyjet/ryanair terminal at paris de gaulle)

Mossie

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 11, 2008, 07:44:41 PM
Sheesh......it's 144th scale too ! Peeked inside the box today at my LHS, what a sweet kit ! Even has a rubber skirt ! I almost bought it, but since I'm short on cash.....

Maybe next week. I'm just wondering if a 144th scale SHAR could launch from it ?

You might have trouble launching a Shar from it because it'd have to take off vertically.  This is possible, but only with no stores & it'll use up most of it's fuel in the take off.  It could be used to transport a Shar, but probably not operationally.  Now an attack helo might work, insertion of Special Forces by sea with say an Apache for support?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Well, if you can lift the SHAR off the deck and into the wind, you get at least 75 km/h worth of headwind. That should help things a bit.