My method for decals

Started by General Zod, January 12, 2008, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Zod

I am posting my method for decals I used to hate them Had a devil of a time blending in the decal film
Step #1 I brush on some Testors acrylic model master gloss on the area that is to have the decals on Not the whole model now,just the areas to be decaled I then wait at least 12 hours for it to cure up

Step #2 Apply the decals I sue Micro sol to make sure the decals snuggle down good

Step #3 After 12 hours or so,I then air brush the whole model in a gloss coat using the Testors acrylic gloss I add a few drops of testors acrylic thinner to make sure it sprays evenly

See photo 1

After the gloss has dried for 24 hours or so,I then spray on the flat coat please see photo 2 for what I use for flat coat

This flat coat is from games workshop It is safe for acrylic and enamel paint It dries totally flat and it dries fast I will apply 2 thin coats rather than one heavy coat It's a bit pricey at around $10 U.S. or so But I think it's worth it
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

Joe C-P

Quote from: General Zod on January 12, 2008, 03:51:20 PM

Step #2 Apply the decals I sue Micro sol to make sure the decals snuggle down good

Boy, I get mad at some manufacturers when I have a problem, but I haven't called in the lawyers yet!  :o

:lol:

Seriously, though, do you prefer a flat coat as the final coat, or are you just spraying enough to take the shine off the final gloss coat?

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Spey_Phantom

thats a good method, but i have an own way of making decals to  ;D

ist quite simple and cheap to do

1. design your decals on a PC (by using MS paint or, if you have a powerfull PC, MS word)
2. print out your decals on the decal paper (the paper i use is a cheap brand, costs about €2,40 a sheet)
3. dry the decals for a few minutes and then overspray them with clear paint (i use Tamiya TS-13 clear, every modeller should have a standard clear spraycan)
4. let the paint dry for about 3 hours and your ready to use them (or u can spray a second layer, just to be safe  -_-)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

General Zod

Quote from: JoeP on January 19, 2008, 02:55:25 PM
Quote from: General Zod on January 12, 2008, 03:51:20 PM

Boy, I get mad at some manufacturers when I have a problem, but I haven't called in the lawyers yet!  :o

:lol:

Seriously, though, do you prefer a flat coat as the final coat, or are you just spraying enough to take the shine off the final gloss coat?

JoeP

Joe
I use the flat coat for both on armor models I don't like shiny paint on a military vehicle

Overkiller

What kind of printer do you use for printing declas?
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

bluesman

I've been using Future floor wax to apply the gloss coat. It can be airbushed and decals stick to it well.

Future is self leveling and you need to spray it on in light mist coats.

Here's what I do. Spray future on the model. Let cure. Decal. USe setign solutions. Spray on another coat of future to seal the decals. Dull coat.