K

ANOTHER Spitfire from Zac

Started by K5054NZ, January 13, 2008, 07:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Hi all

HOW ABOUT:

RAAF Squadron Leader David Pay accepts a transfer to the RNZAF on the proviso his personal aircraft, A58-58, is taken to New Zealand with him. End result?

The sole Spitfire to see RNZAF service arrives at RNZAF Base Ohakea in June 1948. Painted in silver with hi-viz red accents, and No 2 Sqn TAF's diamond marks next to the fuselage roundels. NZ5801 sees service until being struck off charge in 1960, whereupon it disappears....

In 1993 NZ5801 was rediscovered, after many false leads, disassembled in a Manawatu barn by a team of enthusiasts. After being on display in an unrestored state at the Wanganui ATC Tower Museum, the machine was sold to an undisclosed buyer and sent to Southern Spitfire Ltd in Auckland for an airworthy restoration. It is hoped she will fly again by 2011.

Italeri P/F-51D decals, Italeri 1:72 Mk.V Trop Spitfire kit

Captain Canada

What a beauty, Zac ! Especially in that third pic, flying towards us......I can just see the ocean and those lush green mountains down below her !

:wub: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

I copy the captain, what a beuty!

PS: Has the supermarine factories moved ahead in time, down under earth, in a samller scale? ;D

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

K5054NZ

;D ;D ;D I have to agree, Pic Three is my favourite too.

Trust me, there's more of these beauties on the way. YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!!!!

MORE SPITFIRES!!!!!

Sisko

YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!!!!

We wouldn't dare ;D

Like the nice glossy paint job. Keep em coming!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

K5054NZ

BUUU-UH-UMP!

;D I like this.

QuoteClassic Wings, issue 68
Dear sir,
I read with great interest your report on the return to flight of the Spitfire NZ5801. I was stationed at RNZAF Base Ohakea during the period 1958-63, and on many occasions saw the aircraft in question sitting forlornly near the perimeter fence. I often would trek through the overgrown turf to examine the machine, which had fallen into disrepair following Sqn Ldr Pay's untimely death in a Vampire accident in 1957. I hope the enclosed candid shots of the aircraft, taken in June 1959, are of some interest to your readers.

Regards,
FGOFF Colin Campbell (RNZAF, rtd.)

Thanks for your letter and photos Colin! These have proven to be the only photos we've seen on NZ5801 following the loss of David Pay, and although are in black and white, still show the distinctive colour scheme still worn by the aircraft. We have passed Colin's details onto NZ5801/ZK-MKV's owner Adam Baker. ZY

Rafael

Zac, this is beautiful!!!

The scheme fits like a glove, and I specially like those clipped wingtip versions!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER