Anachronistic GB: generalized Old Battles with New Weapons

Started by ysi_maniac, January 18, 2008, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

QuoteWhen was jet fuel invented?

About the same time as jet engines, I would say ;D.  Ducks for cover!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Nope, kerosene/parrafin oil has been around for at least a thousand years, they just didn't realise it was jet fuel back then!  Seriously, the development of the jet engine & it's fuel went hand in hand, so whenever you want the jet to be developed, it's fuel would be available.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Quote from: ysi_maniac on January 25, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
But what really attracts me is the Spanish Inquisition Aircraft :wub: :wub:

wow, I never expected that  :o
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Stealth aircraft then??? ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Quote from: ysi_maniac on January 25, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
...And a colourful Mirage with the big Napoleon's 'N' against a Wellington's Lightning? :wacko: :ph34r:

Painted like the soldiers? Now that would be a colourful fighter!

ysi_maniac

Hi people,
In the 3rd page of this thread there are some Roman armour:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17429.0.html
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

SinUnNombre

Quote from: Mossie on January 26, 2008, 05:08:51 AM

Amonst our chief weaponry are such elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red aircraft!

Jon

BlackOps

OK, this is another great idea for a GB!  When am I going to work on stuff that's not GB related with so many good GB ideas out there :huh: I'll manage  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

wikxie

Hi
You should read John Birminghams World War 2.1 series, Weapons of choice, Designated Targets & Final impact, about a near future carrier battle group that accidently time travels back to 1942 much like 'Final Countdown' but that they don't come back. Lot's of whiffy ideas, with out giving too much away think Hueys and Cobras with invasion stripes!

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on January 26, 2008, 05:08:51 AM

If they were strike aircraft, you could call it the Spanish Interdiction......

Hat, cloak, gone........
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

Quote from: wikxie on February 10, 2008, 02:57:17 AM
Hi
You should read John Birminghams World War 2.1 series, Weapons of choice, Designated Targets & Final impact, about a near future carrier battle group that accidently time travels back to 1942 much like 'Final Countdown' but that they don't come back. Lot's of whiffy ideas, with out giving too much away think Hueys and Cobras with invasion stripes!

I'm 1/3 of the way through "Final Impact" right now :)  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

How about going the other way?  HOG's 2nd headophone hovercraft was made of wood & had crossbows. Modern troops carrying longbows, crossbows, swords & axes?  Siege equipment on a tank chassis?  WWI in the Far East, allied troops with broadswords versus Japanese with Katanas (some crossover with th real world there!)?  Ornamental cannon would give a different look for each side.

Hmm, back on topic, I'm thinking about the Mongols.  Their preferred method of fighting was fast & mobile, with light armour to take this into account.  So cruiser tanks maybe & hit & run tactics using fighter bombers?  Kind of a Blitzkrieg type mentality.  Soviet, or possibly Chinese equipment would be the most obvious choice.

dy031101

Toyotomi Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea?

J-11/J-10/F-15K/KF-16/MiG-29 v.s. F-15J/F-2?

Type 99/Type 96/K-1A1/T-62 MBTs v.s. Type 90 MBT?

Quote from: Mossie on May 01, 2008, 04:20:53 AM
Hmm, back on topic, I'm thinking about the Mongols.  Their preferred method of fighting was fast & mobile, with light armour to take this into account.  So cruiser tanks maybe & hit & run tactics using fighter bombers?

Mongolian BT light tanks v.s. Chinese South Song Dynasty Panzer 35(t)/38(t)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

To promote this GB in the next vote ... Here is the Sarracen Spitfire ...

ysi_maniac