F-107

Started by Radish, February 07, 2003, 01:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

:/ Chris, looks like you got more response to the sideview over here on What If than on Hyperscale! It's more FUN over here, and we make crazy models too. One of my (so far) three F-107s could well be Nat Chinese. One will be RAF, another possibly Italian and another, well, Canadian? I'm trying to think of those countries who used the F-104 in the strike role........Germany? How about an RF-107A?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

david sMiGielski

I almost bought Trumpeter's F-107 this morning. I've been thinking of doing one in S. Asia camo maybe using some aftermarket F-105 decals.

I passed though. I have two MiG-37s that need finishing.

How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

elmayerle

I figure to convert an F-107 kit to the two-seat variant described in Bill Simone's book on the F-107 from Ginter and then use the second portion of the two-part centerlien store as an ECM pod in doing my Wild Weasel F-107.  I figure SEA paint job would be the obvious, so I might do one of the post-Vietnam ones the F-105G flew in ("Desert Fox" in a desert scheme sounds like an attractive one - this was one of the last G's flown and is in the museum at Travis AFB in northern California).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jeffry Fontaine

I have to admit that Orne M's F-107 with the modified nose radome does look like convincing.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

How about fitting the recce camera fit of the RF-100A "Slick Chick" aircraft in place of the cannons?  Does anyone even make a conversion kit for a RF-100A?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

He he he... I'm slowing improving my Trumpeter F-107 for weeks now.
I've cut the intake length to improve pilot view to the rear. This also improved overall look of the aircraft  ;)  

Btw yesterday I've added a V-tail to the machine, just because V-tail looks cool.

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

thundereagle1997

F-107 with A-5 Vigilante style intakes mid fuselage mounted  for excellent ground clearance.

Beermonster58

I suppose comments about the air intake position and, its effect on ejection were inevitable. However, if I recall (and, I'm happy to stand corrected) the intended ejection seat would have been quite adequate for abandoning the aircraft. Something that would surely have been foreseen at the design stage? Also, I seem to recall the Heinkel He-162 also had an intake (and engine) on top of the fuselage and, was fitted with an ejection seat to provide a safe bail out for the pilot.
I'm neither an aircraft engineer or designer but, I venture to suggest that there was a good,design reason for the unusual positioning of the intake? I am now going to dig out my old Trumpeter kits.........! :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

thundereagle1997

I love your designs.
Maybe an updated F-107 with a cranked arrow double delta wing, a conventional tail arrangement, 2 v-tails, a bubble canopy, canard foreplanes, & 2 internally mounted cannon mounted in the nose of the aircraft along with conformally mounted air to air missiles without needing an internal weapons bay, & high mounted air intakes for high ground clearance for extremely low foreign object damage like this design:
https://www.deviantart.com/armoredryukenshi1984/art/General-Dynamics-ATF-design-965548015.

The Rat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on October 10, 2023, 04:23:46 AMI suppose comments about the air intake position and, its effect on ejection were inevitable.

I doubt that there would be any problem. A pilot in an ejection seat isn't exactly the most aerodynamic shape in the world, and it would decelerate rather quickly, but with the vertical speed that those seats go up, they should easily clear the intake before drag brought the horizontal movement to that position.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr