Mirage 2000CK: History and Aircraft in RNZAF Service

Started by NaOH, January 19, 2008, 04:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaOH

Modern day:

With the outing of the Labour government the new Conservative Minster of Defence anounced the return of fighter aircraft to the RNZAF.

In light of 9/11 the first priority was air defence followed by an anti shipping mission and an air to ground capabillity. New aircraft were ruled to be to expensive so the used market was looked at. Suitable aircraft were narrowed down to surplus US and Dutch F-16's, Canadian CF-18's and French Mirage 2000's. In the end the best deal was given by the French and a squadron of 16 Mirage 2000 C/B aircraft were chosen (12/4 airframes). Armament was comprised of Matra 530 and Sidewinder missles, Exocet and LGB munitions with the Damocles designation pod and external drop tanks. While the bolt on air refueling probe was equiped, aircraft only mounted them for ferry flights to Australia, Indonesia or Singapore for exercises using borrowed tankers. The aircraft were designated the Mirage 2000CK/BK (Kiwi).

First deliveries were to 2 Sqd and wore a RNZAF designed camo scheme of blue/grey over light grey for air superiority and over water operations.

Eventually, as operational tempos were increased, funds were allocated for a second squadron of 12 Mirage 2000CK's for 75 Sqd with 2 sqd using it's duals as an OCU. With the new aircraft 2 Sqd continued as a swing role air defence/ anti shipping OCU squadron while 75 squadron became a swing role air superiority/ precision strike squadron.

With the new airframes for 75 Sqd the black roundels and squadron badges were changed to a contrasting grey style.

Interestingly 75 squadron later started experimenting with over-painting the darker grey with an temporary green paint with green roundels for training exercises in Singapore.

Let the profiles begin!

NaOH

Heller/Airfix 1/48 plastic, Gekko Graphics and kit decals.

Real photos to follow once I'm on days off.

Thanks to Scooterman and Gekko for the help.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Rat

I think Zack will be sending you Christmas cards for the rest of his life. BEAUTIFUL!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

Don't know which method you use for panel line washes but it is just right for jet aircraft: visible but very subtle.  Wow.  Nice.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

HOG

Really like the colour scheme. If I can think of a luft 46 airframe to carry it I might just have to borrow it.

Excellent Work

regards Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

K5054NZ

Very pretty. I must admit the colour scheme makes sense, as much as I DESPISE grey over gray.

Any other Kiwi machines in the pipeline?

Rafael

I'd have to agree. sometimes grey on grey doesn't look monotonous. In your model's case, it gives it elegance. And like JHM stated, your weathering is very, verrrry good.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

Interesting use of grey on grey (GoG scheme?)! Dunno if this is THAT more different than hill scheme. We are only bored of hill, because there are so many F-16s around! :ph34r:

NaOH

The colours are the CF-18 greys with a bit of blue added to the top colour.

Panels are done with grey pastels, not a wash.

Scooterman

WOW!
Real beaut, dude.

That did turn out better than expected.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Impressive work!! And a beautiful result!  :wub:

Just a thought about the backstory: the aircrafts are probably retired Mirage 2000C-RDI form the French Armée de l'Air. As you give them the Damocles ability, I imagine that they received light modernization and retrofit before being sent to New Zealand. Why not giving them MICA ability instead of the Super 530?
If the model is 1.72, I could provide you a pair of missiles ;)

(Of course, that's no obligation! Brazil's Mirage 2000 were delivered with Super 530. But the already produced Super 530 only have something like 10 years of lifetime)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Beautiful aircraft + Simple scheme = Elegant model

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)