O

The Airfix Spitfire Mk.1

Started by Overkiller, January 22, 2008, 05:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

cthulhu77

Great concept !  Love the roundels on those silver wings, really beautiful.

nev

Brilliant!!!  :lol:

Personally, I would take the "what if" logo of your base, see how many you can fool with your backstory ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Great model Duncan & plausible too, there where a handful of privately owned Spitfires in the 50's & 60's purely used for joy flights.  Nice simple scheme, I think had I done the same thing I'd probably have over-egged it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Excalibur

This is awesome, if your not already a member of the Airfix tribute forum you may want to become a member & post it there as well. I think they would get a kick out of your idea. Great job, here's the link to the forum if your interested,

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/index.php

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Loved it when I saw it in the flesh on Sunday.

Excellent work.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Glenn Gilbertson

Great idea and beautiful model - you deserve a reward from Airfix!

John Howling Mouse

You sure hit the nail on the head with this one: classy and elegant.

Is this variant of the Spitfire one of the ones from the original Otaki or ARII molds?  I know Airfix reboxed their Corsair and a few others in 1:48----fantastic kits, especially considering how long ago they debuted, complete with finely engraved surface details, etc.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BadersBusCompany

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

lancer

That is outstanding Duncan. An amazing idea and build. Nice one.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 22, 2008, 06:22:03 PM
You sure hit the nail on the head with this one: classy and elegant.

Is this variant of the Spitfire one of the ones from the original Otaki or ARII molds?  I know Airfix reboxed their Corsair and a few others in 1:48----fantastic kits, especially considering how long ago they debuted, complete with finely engraved surface details, etc.
Baz, this is a new kit.  I think they used the Mk.Vc as a basis, but less so than they did with the recent Mk.IX release (that one got a luke warm reception) & it's been very well recieved.  It's the only kit to include the flat canopy & two bladed prop of the very early Mk.I's, before you've had to go aftermarket what is a really simple addition to a kit.

Expect a Mk.XVIe from them in the not too distant future, at the moment this is offered as an exclusive incentive for Airfix Club membership, I guess they'll eventually role it out into the mainstream.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

That's just simply outstanding! I love the Airfix decals!

Brian da Basher