P-47 Thunderbolt ideas.

Started by gooberliberation, January 26, 2008, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Here's an idea I recently had. Use a P-43 Lancer as the basis for a "what if" Reggiane development. Instead of going slimmer and sleeker, have Reggiane continue going down the radial route and make and Italian equivalent to the Bloch MB 157 or the Focke Wulf Fw 190. The best engines I can think of for this application would be imported BMW 801s from Germany, just as the Re.2001 used imported or license-built DB 601s. Maybe modify the canopy and/or landing gear to make it a little less "American"?

Reggiane Re.2004bis Lanciere

You might need a donor BMW 801 from a different kit like a Do 217 because of the Fw 190s wing root stuck in the BMW 801's cowling.

Anyway, just an idea, feel free to take it as your own or play with it.

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That will be quite difficult, the P-43's fuselage is quite deep and oval while the Fw 190/BMW 801 is rather circular. Grafting a BMW 801 onto a Bloch 152 for a "Germanized" version would be an idea, though?

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 31, 2022, 07:11:27 AM
That will be quite difficult, the P-43's fuselage is quite deep and oval while the Fw 190/BMW 801 is rather circular. Grafting a BMW 801 onto a Bloch 152 for a "Germanized" version would be an idea, though?

Yeah, it's not as bad as a P-47, but that's definitely an issue. You might be able to chop the fuselage underneath the wing to fair it all in better, but I'll admit it'd be some major work in plastic. Heck, it might even be easier in plastic to stick an inline on the front, though I don't think it'd have the same look at all.

Cheers,

Logan

Old Wombat

Easy fix: Intake for an oil cooler under the engine or forward fuselage. ;)

And, if necessary, a carburetor intake above. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

:wub: I love those Chainbolt and Thunderstang, congratulations! :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

I've got a few spare Sabre cowlings, wonder if they'd fit one of the P-47's in the stash ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Zero-Sen

P-47 with a triple row R-2800 engine and a hybrid colling system? :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2022, 05:53:57 AM
I've got a few spare Sabre cowlings, wonder if they'd fit one of the P-47's in the stash ?

I like the idea, too, but wonder about the operator of such a combo? RAF?  :o

Tophe

I like this aesthetic improvement! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

jcf

Quote from: Zero-Sen on August 03, 2022, 07:19:14 AM
P-47 with a triple row R-2800 engine and a hybrid colling system? :rolleyes:

That would be the 27-cylinder R-4200.  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 03, 2022, 07:33:31 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2022, 05:53:57 AM

I like the idea, too, but wonder about the operator of such a combo? RAF?  :o

Or perhaps Indian or Pakistan Air Forces post Independence circa 1947 ?