P-47 Thunderbolt ideas.

Started by gooberliberation, January 26, 2008, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Sort of related:

I've long had an idea for an attack aircraft that looks like a Fokker G1 on steroids, with a P-47 powertrain in each boom, a high tailplane and a thumping great recoilless (Davis-type) gun in the lower fuselage. Because the Davis gun uses a counter-weight rather than counter-blast, there'd be no blast-damage effects on the boom or tail - just do NOT fly behind on on a straffing run unless you fancy several pounds of grease and ball bearings in the kisser....

It would be to the P-38 Lightning what the P-47 is to the Mustang...... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Something silly:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

GTX

What if when the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III was proposed, a similar turboprop P-47 was also offered:

Please note that the engine is entirely fictional, though I did use the T-56 as inspiration.  Note also that the turboprop exhaust is via the similar P-47 turbocharger ducting/exhaust

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

P-47N COIN tuned for low altitude work.    If life weren't so upended for us right now, there'd be one of these in the GB going up.

Daryl J.

ElectrikBlue

Very insteresting, really like your turboprop P-47 profile Greg!  :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:

Regards,

EB

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone attempted to create a 20mm cannon armed P-47 by replacing the eight machine guns with four Oerlikon or Hispano-Suiza cannons?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 05, 2009, 07:06:40 PM
Has anyone attempted to create a 20mm cannon armed P-47 by replacing the eight machine guns with four Oerlikon or Hispano-Suiza cannons?
This is actually an idea I want to materialize.
Will die without understanding this world.

Doc Yo

I went looking for a review of the MPM XP-47H, and found this instead:

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/usn/ran47h.htm

A whif for sure, and nicely done, too. Really have to build mine one of these days, but I keep thinking
about trying to convert it to a bubbletop...

kitnut617

Quote from: Doc Yo on July 21, 2010, 09:38:20 AM

It's not too bad for a limited run injection.  There's no line up pins for the parts so a little care is needed when glueing the bits together. I think I used an aftermarket white metal prop though, the kit one didn't seem big enough in diameter and I used a True Details P-47 cockpit set too. I also used some white metal u/c legs which I got from High Planes, the plastic is very heavy as all the parts are at least twice as thick as any other injected kit and the original in u/c legs looked a little suspect.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

dy031101

The various P-47 models and derivatives have seen the adaptation of interesting wing designs- some with powerful armaments (like 37mm cannons), others with built-in fuel tanks, and such......

What would have been produced if given the "Supermarine Attacker" treatment, I wonder?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

philp

And all I did was put it in some markings it should have flown in.

Then, maybe, there wouldn't have been so many (Mustangs) lost to ground fire.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Pablo1965

Quote from: philp on July 21, 2010, 03:32:22 PM
And all I did was put it in some markings it should have flown in.

Then, maybe, there wouldn't have been so many (Mustangs) lost to ground fire.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Pablo1965

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 21, 2010, 02:47:20 PM
Quote from: Doc Yo on July 21, 2010, 09:38:20 AM

It's not too bad for a limited run injection.  There's no line up pins for the parts so a little care is needed when glueing the bits together. I think I used an aftermarket white metal prop though, the kit one didn't seem big enough in diameter and I used a True Details P-47 cockpit set too. I also used some white metal u/c legs which I got from High Planes, the plastic is very heavy as all the parts are at least twice as thick as any other injected kit and the original in u/c legs looked a little suspect.

This is my weakness..I love the plane.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pyro-manic

I'm going to do something similar to that, but I'll be using a nacelle from a B-50/C-97 for the conversion. I've also thought about doing a Sabre-powered version. Got a couple of the very nice little Revell kits in the stash. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<