P-47 Thunderbolt ideas.

Started by gooberliberation, January 26, 2008, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

famvburg

I don't know of a 1/72 conversion, but ISTR a limted run kit or 2 a few years ago. I'm thinking something like Wingnut for one. I have at least 1 in my stash.

Quote from: Overkiller on February 18, 2011, 01:26:36 PM
Necrothread revival time folks....  :rolleyes: ;D

I've become rather intruiged with the final iteration of the Thunderbolt line, the XP-72....

I've found reference to a conversion by Koster in 1/48 that provides a vacform fuselage to be used with the wings and tail surfaces of the Monogram P-47, but does anyone do one in 1/72? Having said that, it could be a tempting subject to modify from a standard P-47 kit....hmmmmm....

:cheers:

Duncan

rickshaw

Doing a quick google search I found these XP-72 kits

Model Alliance Resin
CMK Resin
Wingnut Resin
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

An P-47 with F4U wings would rock...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

Quote from: Overkiller on February 18, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
Ooooooh! Very nice Robert!  :wub:

Tell me more, is that a kit, or a scratchbodge?

Inquiring minds wish to know.....  ;D

:cheers:

Duncan

It is the Alliance Models 1/72 resin kit. When I got it it didn't have decals and it just had the four blade prop but I wanted to do the contra-prop version. I found that the spinner matched a Shackleton spinner from the Frog kit so I used one set up from the Shack' for this.  I also used some High Planes white metal P-47 u/c legs on it as the original resin ones broke as soon as I put them on.  I used a True Details P-47 cockpit tub and a Squadron P-47 canopy as the original wasn't very sturdy.

I had written to Hannants about getting some decals from Alliance Models because I had seen on the Hannants website that the later releases had decals, but he refered me to the owner of CMK who kindly provided me with a sheet from their kit.  I believe that the Alliance Models kit now comes with the contra-prop too.

I've since discovered that the scissor-links on the u/c should be turned 90 degrees towards the fuselage, I used some small diameter mig wire to make the set of gun barrels as the kit doesn't have any (I think)

The Wooksta!

Try Aeroclub.  He did handle some of the Alliance kits.  I've one together but not finished and it's gathering dust...

It's a nice but basic kit.  CMR standard of the early 90s.  IIRC mine had the contraprop spinner.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

IIRC Alliance is another tentacle of the MPM empire.  Most of the kits they've released are ex Czechmaster.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

While watching the TV News last night, I saw something very interesting.  It was a new Dodge Truck advert/commercial, and for the first 10-15 seconds it showed the XP-47H in flight.  The narrative was explaining where the Hemi engine in the trucks got it's origin.

gofy

The XP-72 looks like a way to mount a turbojet on a P-47.  (in the fat belly)
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

pyro-manic

gofy: Sharkit (by our member renaud) makes a kit of something very similar to what you describe: http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/P47jet/P47jet.htm

:)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Ed S

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 16, 2011, 11:39:03 AM
gofy: Sharkit (by our member renaud) makes a kit of something very similar to what you describe: http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/P47jet/P47jet.htm

:)

Definitely shows a family resemblance to the F-84.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Zaskar24

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 18, 2011, 08:50:12 PM
An P-47 with F4U wings would rock...

Something like this maybe?

The biggest disadvantages would be the loss of a .50 Cal per wing as well as some range unless the tip tanks of the F4U wings were made self sealing and non-folding.  I would yhink that the F4U wing would help with prop clearance on take off and landing though with the bigger late war ones used on the P-47.

tomo pauk

The long-range P-47.
Fresh air duct scoop goes under belly (aft fairing also depicted), fuel 'stead of belly tunnel, more fuel behind pilot (like P-51, P-40). A shallower chin.

GTX

you might end up with something similar to the XP-72:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tomo pauk

Air scoop is indeed shorter @ XP-74, but still takes the under-wing space I've reserved for a fuel tank :)