P-47 Thunderbolt ideas.

Started by gooberliberation, January 26, 2008, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomo pauk

DoubleThud - since we don't want to wait for 1945 to have 450mph bird, having proper combat range in the same time :D
Sure enough, P-61 & A-26 have strong competition now.

Pablo1965

Quote from: gofy on March 16, 2011, 11:26:34 AM
The XP-72 looks like a way to mount a turbojet on a P-47.  (in the fat belly)

It isn't a turbojet but have a turbine.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Daryl J.

More features of the P-43 Lancer were retained.  Pointy tail, shorter fuselage, F6F prop, 6 guns rather than 8 or 4 cannons from the Hawker Typhoon.   

Pablo1965

Or twin seat, with night radar and 45ยบ canon.  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Zaskar24

Just like that.  Thank you for the links as well!   :thumbsup:

NARSES2

I'd completely forgotten the "Stukabolt" - nice to see old friends again  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

famvburg

Um, WHAT tip tanks on an F4U??????? F4Us only had one tank unless they  carried drop tanks........

Quote from: Zaskar24 on March 16, 2011, 03:05:31 PM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 18, 2011, 08:50:12 PM
An P-47 with F4U wings would rock...

Something like this maybe?

The biggest disadvantages would be the loss of a .50 Cal per wing as well as some range unless the tip tanks of the F4U wings were made self sealing and non-folding.  I would yhink that the F4U wing would help with prop clearance on take off and landing though with the bigger late war ones used on the P-47.

Pablo1965

Hey, what about a pull and push with twin fuselage. :thumbsup: :wub:

Zaskar24

Quote from: famvburg on October 09, 2011, 06:18:48 AM

Um, WHAT tip tanks on an F4U??????? F4Us only had one tank unless they  carried drop tanks........

I believe that earlier versions of the F4U had tanks towards the wing tips that were used just for ferrying since they were non-sealing.  I would have to look it up but I am pretty sure that I read it somewhere.

famvburg

True, the very early & I'm not sure when they stopped, had leading edge tanks in the outer wings, but they weren't tip tanks, tho IIRC, at least one, a -4 I think, tested tip tanks. I do know that most if not all production Corsairs had only the fuselage tank.

Quote from: Zaskar24 on October 09, 2011, 10:17:25 AM
Quote from: famvburg on October 09, 2011, 06:18:48 AM

I believe that earlier versions of the F4U had tanks towards the wing tips that were used just for ferrying since they were non-sealing.  I would have to look it up but I am pretty sure that I read it somewhere.

tahsin

After decades of denial, P-47 finally makes it to Korea... Must be true, because with all those books on type history it would be outright silly to make it up. One readily imagines Ns on cold weather testing flying themselves in via Alaska because ground attack would be where they shine even if l don't know how they would outperform the paper specs of the F-82.
(Scroll down all the way to the bottom.)

rickshaw

Quote from: tahsin on May 26, 2020, 01:30:57 PM
After decades of denial, P-47 finally makes it to Korea... Must be true, because with all those books on type history it would be outright silly to make it up. One readily imagines Ns on cold weather testing flying themselves in via Alaska because ground attack would be where they shine even if l don't know how they would outperform the paper specs of the F-82.

Considering it makes claims about "British-Australian landings" in Burma I rather think it is bullshitting about the P-47 in Korea as well...   :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on May 27, 2020, 06:02:30 AM
Quote from: tahsin on May 26, 2020, 01:30:57 PM

Considering it makes claims about "British-Australian landings" in Burma I rather think it is bullshitting about the P-47 in Korea as well...   :banghead: :banghead:

Beat me to it Brian, although I am currently building a Korean War P.47
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Ah, yes WarBlunder, one of many craptastic history blogs that clog up da interwebs.
I regularly see crap from these sources posted in some of the various Facebook groups
I've joined.
Those of us who laugh and point out the BS are often jumped on by folks who evidently have
some need to believe the source, especially if it fits their pre-conveived notions or repeats long
discredited myths to which they cling. it can be hilarious.
;D :o