P-47 Thunderbolt ideas.

Started by gooberliberation, January 26, 2008, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tahsin

My fault, should have but if it is the Forgotten Army to the British what it would be for us? And then a splendid venue for the discussion of Australian Corsair operations in the lndian Ocean... Some examples of the warblunder stuff would be also nice to have!

Tophe

Quote from: tomo pauk on May 05, 2011, 07:59:45 AM
DoubleThud
There was, even faster, the Triple-Thud: 3 engines, 2 tails, 1 pilot: ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

You might not need a tail gunner but you would need a flight engineer along to keep all those engines running properly! Two seat canopy and a big control panel for the back seater!
Looks like a fun idea!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Just had the idea of a turboprop-driven Thunderbolt (with a T56 from a Hercules), as a competitor for the Mustang Enforcer COIN version. Hmmm, mayve somthing for South American customers...?  :rolleyes:

tahsin

As long as it doesn't look like an inline?

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 29, 2020, 12:10:11 AM
Just had the idea of a turboprop-driven Thunderbolt (with a T56 from a Hercules), as a competitor for the Mustang Enforcer COIN version. Hmmm, mayve somthing for South American customers...?  :rolleyes:

There should be room to run the exhaust under the pilot with wing root exits like a Wyvern.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on May 29, 2020, 03:16:06 AM

There should be room to run the exhaust under the pilot with wing root exits like a Wyvern.

Considering the T56 is about 400lb lighter than the R-2800, I think you would have to extend the cowling forward and then the exhaust would protrude out somewhere just in front of the cockpit. 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

I did one a while  back  with contra props and  wing tip tanks.  I used the original  engine  cowling  as the air intake.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 29, 2020, 07:00:08 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 29, 2020, 03:16:06 AM

Considering the T56 is about 400lb lighter than the R-2800, I think you would have to extend the cowling forward and then the exhaust would protrude out somewhere just in front of the cockpit.

Stretch the nose a bit (about 2 foot), and use an XP-47H fuselage.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Once you remove the turbo-supercharger assembly from the rear fuselage along with related gubbins,
you may not need to move it that far fwd, if at all.

The R-2800-59 had a dry weight of 2290 lbs, the -63 2265 lbs, both types were used on the P-47D.
Wikipedia gives a weight of 1,940 lbs for a T56 Series IV. The C-23 turbosupercharger used on the
P-47D weighed 235 lbs.

Therefore, with the turbo deleted the delta between the R-2800 and T56 engine basic installations
is only -90 to -115 lbs. The removal the turbo related ductwork etc. would probably make the delta
close to nil or better.

The big difference, and issue is that the T56 is almost twice the length of R-2800-59 and -63,
146.1" versus 75.72".

scooter

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 03, 2020, 03:51:11 PM
The big difference, and issue is that the T56 is almost twice the length of R-2800-59 and -63,
146.1" versus 75.72".

Which is why I suggested the XP-47H.  The Chrysler XIV-2220 is, at least according to Wiki, 122 inches, about 2 foot shorter than the Series IV T56.  I think a Double Mamba installation would work better for an R-2800 conversion; although you'd still need to extend the cowling... (105" vs 76")
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

An AS Python would look really cool on a bubbletop P.47.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

P-47 supercharger system removed from the airframe:

Pic posted on Twitter by Tev Clarke: https://twitter.com/TrevClark1958/status/1297156572909432832?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Looks like it's been removed from a power station rather than from an aeroplane!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Engine as well up there to the right.

Very interesting.  I like the arrows showing what is flowing where.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..