B-58 Hustler

Started by Aircav, February 04, 2003, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Do a two-piece pod, ala' the F-107's centerline pod with alternate center pods - jamming gear, recce gear, etc.   For late 70s - early 80s, replace the J79s with PW1120s.

For "official" what-if B-58's, check out the second edition of the Aerofax book with a stretched one with J75s (Iroqois instead for CAF markings?), the airliner studies, and other such "interesting" tidbits).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jeffry Fontaine

Just about any nuclear capable aircraft is capable of jamming at one level or another once they release their nuclear weapon.  When the weapon detonates it will create a very large Electro-Magnetic Pulse and depending on the altitude, it will cover a lot of territory at the speed of light and fry circuits very quickly.  

So you really don't need a lot of electronic gimmicks when you have the ultimate terminal jammer strapped on and you are heading for the enemy's heartland...
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

MCS

QuoteDo a two-piece pod, ala' the F-107's centerline pod with alternate center pods - jamming gear, recce gear, etc.   For late 70s - early 80s, replace the J79s with PW1120s.
Hmmmmm, a two-piece pod, yet another option to consider...

I wonder how a combination jamming/recce pod would fair. Jam the area prior to the strike and then photograph it afterwards...great...a third option.

Thought about the PW1120's as well, but, I wasn't sure if they were in development during the mid 70's.

Now Evan, since you're out resident engineer, two questions for ya (anyone else, feel free to chime in):

1. If I went with some kind of palletized pod replacing the pylons (as I mentioned in my second post, something shaped similar to the centerline canoe on the EF-111) would they severely disrupt the airflow under the wing?

2. With the palletized pods do you think the inboard engines would impede the jamming in any significant amount? From what I've seen, most A/C with some kind of EW equipment, always have the various antennas, etc., in "clean" areas: top of tail, wingtip, on pylons, etc.

Spends too much time researching rather than building...

Gary F

To add to the Fail Safe info, I believe in addition to jamming, decoys, and chaff, the 'EB-58' also carried some small A2A missiles to help protect the bombers it was protecting.  I remember being fascinated as a kid watching the battle on the big board involving the EB-58 and it really hurt when it finally got killed.

Howard of Effingham

QuoteJust about any nuclear capable aircraft is capable of jamming at one level or another once they release their nuclear weapon.  When the weapon detonates it will create a very large Electro-Magnetic Pulse and depending on the altitude, it will cover a lot of territory at the speed of light and fry circuits very quickly. 

So you really don't need a lot of electronic gimmicks when you have the ultimate terminal jammer strapped on and you are heading for the enemy's heartland...
going slightly OT, jeffery, i recall hearing about EMP for the first time in the 1980's and not thinking too much of such. until it has to be said i saw a photograph of that
EMP testing site at holloman AFB [iirc] with a B-52G or H on top of a huge wooden trestle thingy.  :huh:

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Jeffry Fontaine

Not OT at all, when the subject is electronic countermeasures, that means active jamming with devices that will deceive or blind the radar or the communications link and the alternative which is "terminal jamming" to make the target stop radiating. 

Terminal Jamming is accomplished with steel on target, be it iron bombs, cluster bombs, precision guided bombs, or missiles, the intention with terminal jamming is make a smoking hole in the ground where the emitter had been previously located. 

The EMP effect with the nuclear weapon has also been replicated without the use of fissionable materials in what is described as an EMP bomb that produces the same EMP in a very small scale much like the nuclear weapon but without all of the nasty radioactive side-effects.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Matt Wiser

IIRC from the book and both movies the strike B-58s carried two 20 Mt bombs, and four AAMs; the book called them Bloodhounds, with nuclear warheads and a
dual IR/Radar seeker. One problem: when shooting at Sovet AAMs, the Bloodhound ignored the missiles and went after the fighters. The 6th plane in each
group was the "EB-58" with additional decoys, ECM, and Bloodhounds.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Hobbes

QuoteJust about any nuclear capable aircraft is capable of jamming at one level or another once they release their nuclear weapon.  When the weapon detonates it will create a very large Electro-Magnetic Pulse and depending on the altitude, it will cover a lot of territory at the speed of light and fry circuits very quickly.  

That works if your target is the only defended site you'll overfly, and there are no enemy fighters in the air. Otherwise, you'll have to have ECM to get you to your target (and back) in one piece.  

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

One of the excuses given for the retirement of the B-58 from active service was the inability of the airframe to deal with the stres caused by low level flight.  Perhaps this could have been addressed by changing the vertical control surfaces to something a bit smaller in size to accomodate the thicker air encountered during low level flight.  Maybe a switch to a shorter vertical fin similar in size to the F-111 could have allowed the B-58 to soldier on for a few more years as a low level strike weapon.

Aircav

There's this one from the FSM a number of years ago
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Eddie M.

Quote from: Roger the Cabin Boy Again on December 07, 2005, 03:42:07 PM
Having perused the photos in IAPR2, one thing mystifies me.  How did the B-58 nosewheel leg actually retract with that humungous tank in the way?

I'm not sure if I had taken these when this was asked, but I took a lot of photos of our resident Hustler down in Galveston. The front gear articulate up and aft, but the wheels go forward.Very impressive in person. :mellow: I have more detailed photos if anyone wishes to see them.
   Eddie

Look behind you!

Mossie

I'm sure I've mentioned it before (thought it was here, but clearly not & may even have imagined the whole thing!), but I've often thought the B-58 is ripe for a bit of scalorama.  Take a 1/72 Hustler, add a 1/48 canopy & other gubbins on it & you've got yourself a fighter.  Sitck a new engine in the rear & an intake style of your choice, or even keep two of the podded engines.  I think it'd make a pretty sexy interceptor.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Actually, what about a satellite launcher B-58?  Put a booster rocket in the tail and a satellite booster underneath.

Or alternatively, someone gets some out of the desert for use as a modern day space tourism vehicle.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

For something different, some 40 years ago there was a near-term sf/technothriller published that had a super-secret "black world" recce aircraft being refueled from a KB-58; I've always been intriqued by the idea.

As for another possibility, replace the J79s with PW1120s and hang four ASATs on the tactical pylons.  Burn the external tank first so you can drop the tank just before making the zoom climb to the launch point.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin