B-58 Hustler

Started by Aircav, February 04, 2003, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AS.12

Footage of the B-58's tailgun articulation just past 19 minutes in this video.  iI's really odd, I assumed it would be gimballed at the breech end but instead it slews and slides around with armadillo-style annular plates.  Perhaps for feed reasons, or extra reach?

https://youtu.be/rRpHoc0V0co?t=980

PR19_Kit

That is VERY weird!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I think you've misunderstood how guns are mounted.  They invariably use a saddle shaped mount, which is attached either side of the breech.  Behind the breech would be various mechanisms required to run the gun so a traditional gimbal wouldn't work.  The plates are there simply to streamline the mount.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

I still find it odd that a supersonic bomber had a tail gun.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AS.12

Quote from: rickshaw on June 18, 2018, 08:23:55 PM
I think you've misunderstood how guns are mounted.  They invariably use a saddle shaped mount, which is attached either side of the breech.  Behind the breech would be various mechanisms required to run the gun so a traditional gimbal wouldn't work.  The plates are there simply to streamline the mount.

'Breech end', not literally breech! :)  The saddle mount you describe is exactly a gimbal.

The B-52's M61 mounting moved more 'normally', with azimuth and elevation along semicircular arcs like a traditional defensive MG:

https://youtu.be/d-Tn5JwMEtA?t=28

However the B-58's mounting seems to use some strange camming to obtain extra angles.  I'll check to see if there's a diagram in the Aerofax book.

Snowtrooper

The "strangeness" is an optical illusion. The gimball is simply mounted way behind (towards the plane's nose, that is) the last "armadillo shell". When the gun rotates around its gimball, at smaller angles only the outer "shells" move noticeably, but at extreme angles all of them have to move and the outer ones rather radically, causing the tunnel formed by the shells to bend (while maintaining a straight opening for the gun) and causing the illusion of the gun moving sideways.

Zero-Sen

Leading Observer

Whatever happened to the encapsulated ejection seat concept?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

jcf

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 29, 2023, 03:18:19 PMWhatever happened to the encapsulated ejection seat concept?
Proved to be more trouble than it was worth, and with the move away from high-altitude
high-speed operations no longer a viable option or necessary. 

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 19, 2018, 05:48:17 AMI still find it odd that a supersonic bomber had a tail gun.

All bombers should have tail guns Tovarisch.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

There were several shoot downs of MiGs over Vietnam by B-52 tail gunners.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 30, 2023, 02:53:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 19, 2018, 05:48:17 AMI still find it odd that a supersonic bomber had a tail gun.

We're all very late to the party but: It's obviously to shoot down supersonic interceptors.

The projectiles come out the barrels at Xm/s, which is about the same velocity as the B-58 is travelling forwards, so the rounds are, for all intents & purposes, stationary relative to the Earth, then the pursuing fighter flies slap-bang into them at (X+Y)m/s & is shot down by stationary projectiles travelling at a greater velocity than that at which they were fired. And, if you believe that, you'll believe anything! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2023, 02:34:17 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 30, 2023, 02:53:47 AM

We're all very late to the party but: It's obviously to shoot down supersonic interceptors.

The projectiles come out the barrels at Xm/s, which is about the same velocity as the B-58 is travelling forwards, so the rounds are, for all intents & purposes, stationary relative to the Earth, then the pursuing fighter flies slap-bang into them at (X+Y)m/s & is shot down by stationary projectiles travelling at a greater velocity than that at which they were fired. And, if you believe that, you'll believe anything! ;D

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2023, 06:32:17 AMThere were several shoot downs of MiGs over Vietnam by B-52 tail gunners.

Didn't know that. Thanks  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2023, 02:34:17 AMThe projectiles come out the barrels at Xm/s, which is about the same velocity as the B-58 is travelling forwards, so the rounds are, for all intents & purposes, stationary relative to the Earth, then the pursuing fighter flies slap-bang into them at (X+Y)m/s & is shot down by stationary projectiles travelling at a greater velocity than that at which they were fired. And, if you believe that, you'll believe anything! ;D

One hopes that doesn't make it any less of a 'kill' so far as the B-58's gunner is concerned.  ;D

'Yes, sir, I just left the shells there in the sky and the enemy flew himself in to them........'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit