B-58 Hustler

Started by Aircav, February 04, 2003, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2023, 03:52:38 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2023, 02:34:17 AMThe projectiles come out the barrels at Xm/s, which is about the same velocity as the B-58 is travelling forwards, so the rounds are, for all intents & purposes, stationary relative to the Earth, then the pursuing fighter flies slap-bang into them at (X+Y)m/s & is shot down by stationary projectiles travelling at a greater velocity than that at which they were fired. And, if you believe that, you'll believe anything! ;D

One hopes that doesn't make it any less of a 'kill' so far as the B-58's gunner is concerned.  ;D

'Yes, sir, I just left the shells there in the sky and the enemy flew himself in to them........'

Ah, yes, but you have to leave them hanging in just the right bit of the sky! ;)  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2023, 04:54:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2023, 03:52:38 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2023, 02:34:17 AMThe projectiles come out the barrels at Xm/s, which is about the same velocity as the B-58 is travelling forwards, so the rounds are, for all intents & purposes, stationary relative to the Earth, then the pursuing fighter flies slap-bang into them at (X+Y)m/s & is shot down by stationary projectiles travelling at a greater velocity than that at which they were fired. And, if you believe that, you'll believe anything! ;D

One hopes that doesn't make it any less of a 'kill' so far as the B-58's gunner is concerned.  ;D

'Yes, sir, I just left the shells there in the sky and the enemy flew himself in to them........'

Ah, yes, but you have to leave them hanging in just the right bit of the sky! ;)  :thumbsup:

Absolutely. One assumes that the gunners would be trained in the art of allowing for the effects of gravity ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Ballistics still applies to calculate projectile drop, as does taking into account the motion of the pursuing fighter by leading the target, some of which the targeting computer would calculate using radar input.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 31, 2023, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2023, 06:32:17 AMThere were several shoot downs of MiGs over Vietnam by B-52 tail gunners.

Didn't know that. Thanks  :thumbsup:

My memory inflated the numbers. It was two MiG-21s shot down during Linebacker II.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on March 31, 2023, 03:09:34 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 31, 2023, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2023, 06:32:17 AMThere were several shoot downs of MiGs over Vietnam by B-52 tail gunners.

Didn't know that. Thanks  :thumbsup:

My memory inflated the numbers. It was two MiG-21s shot down during Linebacker II.

Still something I wasn't aware of, so Ta  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Zero-Sen

Twin-boom Hustler...

PR19_Kit

Tophe will love it, and would love it even more with one engine on one side and two on the other...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Why not put the engines on top of the wings,  there's more room underneath?

Zero-Sen

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2023, 09:36:11 AM
Quote from: McColm on April 01, 2023, 09:24:08 AM
Quote from: Zero-Sen on April 01, 2023, 08:45:01 AMAnything like this?

:thumbsup:

This is insane enough that I'm putting it in the to do file!
Get a copy of "Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego 1923 - 1962". 
It's not far off some of things they designed in the fifties.
;D

kerick

Quote from: jcf on April 01, 2023, 12:53:26 PM

Get a copy of "Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego 1923 - 1962".
;D

Sounds like inspiration for the "what were they thinking" GB!
Tophe the Wise

thundereagle1997

An Updated B-58 with canard foreplanes a bubble canopy 2 30mm cannons plus a 40mm tail turret cropped wingtips for air to air missiles and 2 XA-100s

McColm

Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2023, 01:07:27 PM
Quote from: jcf on April 01, 2023, 12:53:26 PM

;D

Sounds like inspiration for the "what were they thinking" GB!
There's a concept model for a B-58 VTOL flying boat, the engines swivel!