Avro Vulcan

Started by Mossie, January 30, 2008, 08:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Later on the AGM-86 would have been a viable option, either mounted internally in clips (iirc the bomb bay dimensions would not allow for a CSRL fitted with ALCMs) and/or externally under the wings.

Going back to the Vulcan's LO qualities, it's said that during Red Flag[i/] if the aircraft was approaching a radar site head-on it would either show up as being very small or even disappear from the scope.
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

Thanks to dy031101 for this idea:  What about a Vulcan powered by turboprops ala this Turboprop XB-49 concept:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Greg,

The Northrop Allison Turbotyne flying wings are interesting.  Was there an actual relationship with the Vulcan or was it just a coincidence?   

Wonder how a kit bash between the AMT/Ertl XB-49 and the Airfix Vulcan would work? 

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2010, 06:50:14 AM
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 08, 2010, 10:56:31 PM
How about mating the cockpit, windscreen, and canopy from the A-6 Intruder with the Canberra? 
Someone is doing that with a Vulcan on Britmodeller;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53050&hl=Vulcan

And I know that a Vulcan canopy fits on a Canberra very nicely  (see my STOVL Canberra thread) and I happen to be using a A-6 cockpit tub in it too, so this would look really cool

Robert,

Thanks for sharing the link to the Vulcan WHIF on BritModeller.  The work done so far is most impressive. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on April 18, 2010, 07:00:19 PM
Thanks to dy031101 for this idea:  What about a Vulcan powered by turboprops ala this Turboprop XB-49 concept:

Regards,

Greg

I've been thinking about something along those lines myself as I'm going to have a spare Vulcan fuselage/center section left over from my attempt at an Avro Atlantic.  Only I'm thinking of using a YB-49 wing
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Cobra

Hey Guys, this is All Real Interesting, a Question i've been Wondering,Decided to post it here Because it involves the Vulcan. Would a Vulcan have Worked for ASR Duty? with it's long Range,and Other Abilities, thought it would have been Great for ASR & Other duties. What Do You think? Dan

Weaver

Quote from: Cobra on August 09, 2010, 02:42:11 PM
Hey Guys, this is All Real Interesting, a Question i've been Wondering,Decided to post it here Because it involves the Vulcan. Would a Vulcan have Worked for ASR Duty? with it's long Range,and Other Abilities, thought it would have been Great for ASR & Other duties. What Do You think? Dan

Doubt it - the view out and down was very poor and visual search is important in ASR. Some of them were used for MRR (Maritime Radar Recce) which involved using a modified radar to sweep large areas of ocean for surface contacts, but that was only really of military relevence.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2010, 10:12:37 AM
I've been thinking about something along those lines myself as I'm going to have a spare Vulcan fuselage/center section left over from my attempt at an Avro Atlantic.  Only I'm thinking of using a YB-49 wing

You won't have much left, believe me.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

raafif

Thanks to dy031101 for this idea:  What about a Vulcan powered by turboprops ala this Turboprop XB-49 concept:
Regards,
Greg

Ah, yes !!  I note that several steel washers have been added in the nose of these drawings to balance all that plastic & resin hangin' out the rear end of this proposed model  ;D ;D
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dy031101

Quote from: raafif on August 09, 2010, 05:16:55 PM
Regards,
Greg

Ah, yes !!  I note that several steel washers have been added in the nose of these drawings to balance all that plastic & resin hangin' out the rear end of this proposed model  ;D ;D

First time I ever considered ballasting, actually.  Which is why I decide to stick with digital rather than plastic formats- realizing that more ballasts would be needed after sealing the nose and radome wouldn't have been fun.  :lol:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 09, 2010, 03:49:11 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2010, 10:12:37 AM
I've been thinking about something along those lines myself as I'm going to have a spare Vulcan fuselage/center section left over from my attempt at an Avro Atlantic.  Only I'm thinking of using a YB-49 wing

You won't have much left, believe me.

Yes, pretty much just the forward fuselage/cockpit, the rear ECM fairing and a small sliver of top and bottom plastic from the wing center    ;D

The Wooksta!

You'll also need cut out the fin extension. 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 10, 2010, 06:46:48 AM
You'll also need cut out the fin extension. 

I'm planning on this version Lee, where does the fin extension go ?

The Wooksta!

Front end to get it to blend into the fuselage property.  I discovered it nearly too late and had to scrabble through boxes of bits to find the remains of the Vulcan I carved up for the Atlantic. 

You might be better off going for the slightly kinked wing of the B1.  I think the results of the Vulcan's first flights would have been fed accross to the Atlantic.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 10, 2010, 07:09:36 AM
Front end to get it to blend into the fuselage property.  I discovered it nearly too late and had to scrabble through boxes of bits to find the remains of the Vulcan I carved up for the Atlantic. 

You might be better off going for the slightly kinked wing of the B1.  I think the results of the Vulcan's first flights would have been fed accross to the Atlantic.

Cheers for that, I'll watch out for it.

Some time ago I had placed a query on the Air-Britain forum regarding the Atlantic, and I got a reply from a fellow who's name is Mike Meehan.  Apparently he was in the Avro drawing office working as an apprentice when the Atlantic was proposed and he did some work on it.  He told me it would have been a certainty that the Atlantic would have got the B.1 wing leading edge extention had it got accepted into production.  I've always planned to do it that way.  I'm also planning on a second Atlantic which will have a 15 foot diameter fuselage and have the wing of the B.2, this to counter the Handley Page proposal of the H.P.111   ;D