F-16 and (Mitsubushi) F2

Started by Matt Wiser, August 15, 2004, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

F-16XS?

That stands for Xtra Short I presume?  ;D

I'm with Weaver, with a fuselage that short get them as far from the wing as possible, waaaaaay forward.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

On the LERX, just in front of the wing...

It just looks better to me that way  :wacko:

XS is just the opposite of XL, whatever XL stands for in the F-16 context.

rickshaw

They could work where you've placed them but close-coupled canards are inherently tricky to control because of the interaction between the canards and the mainplane.  You'd need to have a very good automatic control system in place.

The further forward, the better control.  Where you've sited them may cause problems I suspect, at high angles of attack.   You'd be better off perhaps extending the lex forward and placing the canards on either side of the cockpit.

Alternatively, just extend the lex forward and make the wings into true deltas.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

perttime

OK, one more: canards in the nose, with anhedral calculated using the TLAR method.

F-16XS-C2

There might still be room for a radar in the nose, with the canards situated low. I don't really want to make it a delta, or make the LERX bigger, because the pilot needs to see where he's going.

Weaver

Anyone fancy a painting challenge?

Posted on Twitter("X" :rolleyes: ) by DJ here: https://x.com/v1pergirl/status/1758577101458776305?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

...and yet it STILL has stencils...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Okay, not 100% sure I'm buying this, but allegedly, there was an in-house project at GD to develop a version of the F-16 armed with the GAU-8A, which looked WILD.

Info from this post by @Fighterman_FFRC on Twitter("X" :rolleyes: ): https://x.com/Fighterman_FFRC/status/1835188364829769777

Text:

"I don't think the world is ready for this...
but apparently an in-house model of the General Dynamics F-16 GAU-8 gunship concept (G.F.G) exists
photo courtesy of allysonca on secretprojects forum"

Secret Projects thread:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/general-dynamics-fort-worth-f-16-derived-gau-8-gunship-concept-g-f-g-from-1976.30625/page-2

Also, post #8 on this thread on here:
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43961.msg775716.html#msg775716

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Looks like most of it would be a whole new aircraft! Interesting whiffology.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

perttime

https://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article18.html
"During Desert Storm, their 24 F-16A/B aircraft were equipped to carry the General Electric GPU-5/A Pave Claw pod on the centerline station. The pod houses a 30mm GAU-13/A four-barrel derivative of the seven-barrel GAU-8/A cannon used by the A-10A, and 353 rounds of ammunition. The aircraft received the new designation F/A-16, and were the only F-16s ever to be equipped with this weapon, intended for use against a variety of battlefield targets, including armor.
... the project proved to be a miserable failure. Precision aiming was impossible for several reasons:  
  • The pylon mount isn't as steady as the A-10's rigid mounting;
  • The F-16 flies much faster than an A-10, giving the pilots too little time approaching the target;
  • Firing the gun shook the aircraft harshly and made it impossible to control;
  • essential CCIP (continuously computed impact point) software was unavailable.

Pilots ended up using the gun as an area effect weapon, spraying multiple targets with ammunition, producing an effect rather like a cluster bomb. It took only a couple of days of this before they gave up, unbolted the gun pods, and went back to dropping real cluster bombs - which did the job more effectively.[/i]"

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on February 18, 2024, 04:03:25 AM...and yet it STILL has stencils...
Just the basics relating to flight safety which are required for test-flights.

jcf

Better drawing of the F-16 GAU-8 critter.
Which I doubt was an actual project as it has far too many issues and would require so much redesign and re-engineering that it would no longer have any real commonality with F-16. You cannot view this attachment.

jcf

Quote from: perttime on Yesterday at 10:53:01 AMhttps://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article18.html
"During Desert Storm, their 24 F-16A/B aircraft were equipped to carry the General Electric GPU-5/A Pave Claw pod on the centerline station. The pod houses a 30mm GAU-13/A four-barrel derivative of the seven-barrel GAU-8/A cannon used by the A-10A, and 353 rounds of ammunition. The aircraft received the new designation F/A-16, and were the only F-16s ever to be equipped with this weapon, intended for use against a variety of battlefield targets, including armor.
... the project proved to be a miserable failure. Precision aiming was impossible for several reasons: 

• The pylon mount isn't as steady as the A-10's rigid mounting;
  • The F-16 flies much faster than an A-10, giving the pilots too little time approaching the target;
  • Firing the gun shook the aircraft harshly and made it impossible to control;
  • essential CCIP (continuously computed impact point) software was unavailable.

Pilots ended up using the gun as an area effect weapon, spraying multiple targets with ammunition, producing an effect rather like a cluster bomb. It took only a couple of days of this before they gave up, unbolted the gun pods, and went back to dropping real cluster bombs - which did the job more effectively.
"
Which isn't surprising as the 20mm gunpods used on the F-4 Phantom were craptastic and moved around so much that accuracy in A-to-A combat was wishful thinking.

tahsin

Buy it 100% as it is real; helping F-16 to grow in engine thrust and with that in production numbers. "GD" keeps the model around for a reason afterall.