F-16 and (Mitsubushi) F2

Started by Matt Wiser, August 15, 2004, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Not sure I like the tailless delta concept, it just doesn't look right.  Though if that were the case, I'd just make it one big tank and smooth it over the tail and dorsal section, with a second fuelling port built into the top of the tank.  Go for broke and do it that way.

I dunno, I just like the look of the XL wing, and think it'd make a real cool strike bird project... if only I can find a conversion kit in 1/72.  I'm too damn broke for anything else without special sacred blessings from the finance minister.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

elmayerle

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 17, 2008, 08:18:08 PM
I don't know about the conformal tanks, they have that whole dip in the center that makes them not so conformal looking to me, at least on the F-2 Super Kai concept model there, though in hindsight, they don't look so bad with the dorsal avionics pod on the F-16I.

The dip is for area-ruling purposes.  The dorsal pod/fairing is present on all of your F-16D Model 50/52+ aircraft as there's just a need for the extra room.  Now if someone wanted to try something a bit different, there's the all-moving vertical tail from the original F-16XL proposal, the one that uses a F-16 horizontal tail surface as the moving vertical tail.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Sauragnmon

Hmm, not a bad concept really... full control surface tail.  Makes me wonder why it hasn't been done before.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just call me Ray

Quote from: elmayerle on September 18, 2008, 02:11:58 PM
The dip is for area-ruling purposes. 

Since this dip is absent on the standard model, I assume it's to compensate for the missing tail? Most people who are aware of area ruling probably don't realize how "hidden" such measures are in modern designs.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Sauragnmon

I was thinking of making the CFT's a little more conformal in my case... slimming the forward profile down to ease the airflow over that damnable rounded brick hump, and then smoothing out that dip to make it a little more level with the avionics package in the dorsal pod.  It would look better, in my opinion, and I don't know if it would affect the airframe's drag effects, though I would imagine with the smoother slope it might work better...  I don't know.

jcf

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 18, 2008, 02:48:32 PM
Hmm, not a bad concept really... full control surface tail.  Makes me wonder why it hasn't been done before.

The idea goes back to the earliest days of flight and was used on many designs through WWI.
More recent exemplars are the NAA Vigilante, Lockheed A-12/SR-71, TSR 2 and the Tu 160.

Not much new under the sun.

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

My take on a super F-16 (has somewhat of a Flanker look I think):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Do that with the F-2 and I think you're on to somthin' there . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

tinlail

Quote from: GTX on February 13, 2009, 04:46:27 PM
My take on a super F-16 (has somewhat of a Flanker look I think):

Regards,

Greg

I have the notion of building one of these with a ballistic missile hanging in the middle for air launch.

GTX

Quotefed by one big ventral intake

I was thinking of still using the standard F-16 inlets but in a quasi-Rafale style arrangement.

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

KJ_Lesnick

I like that twin-engined F-16 set-up...  I was thinking up an alternate Fixed-Wing VFX-WHIF...  I had thought of using the thinner booms of the F-16.  Putting two F-16 tails together ain't bad actually!

KJ
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Scooterman

You guys are getting close to this.  Dunno where I found it-I had it in my profile stash.

Rafael

Quote from: Scooterman on February 15, 2009, 08:32:30 AM
You guys are getting close to this.  Dunno where I found it-I had it in my profile stash.

Imaginary-wings: http://www2.tbb.t-com.ne.jp/imaginary-wings/

Worth looking at the CGI work of this fellow.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Sauragnmon

So, I've been looking at investing in a Viper model now... and I had this... semi-crazy idea of whifbashing a whole whack of the F-16 modifications into One bird.  Here is as follows:

The base aircraft is going to be an F-16N - I don't know if that includes hook and gears, either way.  I'm wondering what External difference there are to the Block 60, as I intend to add the Block 60 systems into the aircraft ideally.  My next step will be the Diverterless Intake, as the 16N is a smallmouth and the 60 is largemouth, I know, so I'll go for broke with that.  Step three is the nozzle - I plan on notching the petals to give it the LOAN, and investigating what is required to give it the MATV/VISTA actuators for vectored thrust.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?