F-16 and (Mitsubushi) F2

Started by Matt Wiser, August 15, 2004, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

After some research, I appear to be in error, only AMRAAMs, no Sparrows.  Probably all to the good since it eliminates the need for continuously illuminating the target.  From the one underside picture I've seen, the AMRAAM carriage was identical to that of the F-16XL.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Spey_Phantom

BUMP

just came across this one when i was watching the movie "The Jewel of the Nile"  :unsure:
it looks like an Mig-ised F-16/F-2  :rolleyes:

might want to build this one day  :lol:

and after the heroes stole it, it ended up in the Kalid desert looking something like this  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

KJ_Lesnick

You know honestly the Mitsubishi F-2 kind of strikes me as a the closest F-16-derivative equivalent to the F-18E/F series.  Basically an F-16, but a lot bigger and aerodynamicallly revised in a few areas (granted the F-18E/F was revised more, and had totally new intake shapes too)

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Spey_Phantom

not to mention the 2-piece canopy  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Daryl J.

KJ,  IIRC, the F-2 is exactly that but had significant extranational development and a different market target than the Super Hornet.

Daryl J.

dy031101

Would anyone know or be willing to venture a guess which designation LVT Model 1600/1601 would have got (F-16...... followed by what letter?) if it were accepted into service?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Shasper

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on September 14, 2008, 08:27:25 AM
You know honestly the Mitsubishi F-2 kind of strikes me as a the closest F-16-derivative equivalent to the F-18E/F series.  Basically an F-16, but a lot bigger and aerodynamicallly revised in a few areas (granted the F-18E/F was revised more, and had totally new intake shapes too)

Integrate the avionics & CFTs from the blk 60 Viper & you've got a real F-16E/F

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

dy031101

Quote from: Shasper on September 14, 2008, 03:11:06 PM
Integrate the avionics & CFTs from the blk 60 Viper & you've got a real F-16E/F

Shas 8)

An updated F-2A/B (refered to by some sources as the "F-2 Super Kai") along the line you described (upgraded and "properly matured" version of F-2A/B avionics, JHMCS and AIM-9X capability, Sniper targetting pod, CFTs, active-radar-guided AAM and JDAM compatibility) was one of the candidates for F-4EJ replacement.  Don't know how that one went though.

====================

To-do list here

Shasper

Yeah I remember the F-2Kai, but I was thinking of that plus the APG-80 & Falconeye IRST.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

KJ_Lesnick

Dy031101,

What are those boxy thingies added atop the chines (a lot of the newer F-16's have those too)?  What do they do? 

And how much of a performance penalty do they take off the F-16 (Speed, acceleration, range, maneuverability)
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

Quote from: dy031101 on September 14, 2008, 03:32:22 PM
An updated F-2A/B (refered to by some sources as the "F-2 Super Kai") along the line you described (upgraded and "properly matured" version of F-2A/B avionics, JHMCS and AIM-9X capability, Sniper targetting pod, CFTs, active-radar-guided AAM and JDAM compatibility) was one of the candidates for F-4EJ replacement.  Don't know how that one went though.

Not been decided yet - the decision was due this year but it has been postponed till 2009, ostensibly so they can fund more F-15 Kai conversions, but in reality probly waiting till there is a new guy in the White House and see if he will sell them F-22Js ;)  Most likely not, in which case the JASDF have said their preferred platform is the Typhoon :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sauragnmon

That Desert Falcon looks bloody sweet... finally something that, to me, makes the F-22's wings look nice.  Damn, guess that's another bird to add to my list of things-to-build-eventually.  Now if only somebody'd put out a 1/72 scale F-16XL Conversion kit.  The XL and the Desert Falcon look pretty damn sweet.

I don't know about the conformal tanks, they have that whole dip in the center that makes them not so conformal looking to me, at least on the F-2 Super Kai concept model there, though in hindsight, they don't look so bad with the dorsal avionics pod on the F-16I.

Leads me to a serious Whif idea here - F-16XL alterations to lower fuselage and wings, allowing better mission payload, with the conformal tanks and avionics package from the F-16I.  That would make one hell of a strike bird, with a real long flight range since the XL's wings had tanks in them.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

Thank you nev for the info.

Quote from: Shasper on September 14, 2008, 07:33:46 PM
Yeah I remember the F-2Kai, but I was thinking of that plus the APG-80 & Falconeye IRST.

Well the Super Hornet doesn't have internal FLIR or IRST, either, and the Japanese radar is also an ASEA one (of course if you want to totally Americanize it, then go for the Scalable Agile Beam Radar when the development is complete).

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on September 15, 2008, 08:30:26 AM
What are those boxy thingies added atop the chines (a lot of the newer F-16's have those too)?  What do they do? 

And how much of a performance penalty do they take off the F-16 (Speed, acceleration, range, maneuverability)

Taiidantomcat answered all the questions with the weblink.  The manufacturer has claimed that the CFTs impose only negligible performance penalties.

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 17, 2008, 08:18:08 PM
Leads me to a serious Whif idea here - F-16XL alterations to lower fuselage and wings, allowing better mission payload, with the conformal tanks and avionics package from the F-16I.  That would make one hell of a strike bird, with a real long flight range since the XL's wings had tanks in them.

I actually think that CFTs would make this one look good.

New wings, thrust-vectoring F100, confirmal AMRAAM carriage (just like the F-16XL), and throw in the CFTs as well as the Scalable Agile Beam Radar (when it becomes available).  Then as mission dictates equip the plane with Sniper targetting pod and/or HTS pod- the ultimate F-16.

====================

To-do list here