F-16 and (Mitsubushi) F2

Started by Matt Wiser, August 15, 2004, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Judging from what looks like a fairing cover at the base of the probe, I assume the probe itself is retractable?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

^ Yup. The annotation to the fourth pic in Nev's link above says the probe is retractable and that only the forward portion of the right-hand CFT was changed.

Pretty nifty solution. Although a Viper with a Kfir- or F-4E-like bolt-on IFR probe would be a rather cool whif. :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

Could also do a Tonka-style fairing down the side of the cockpit?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Shasper

Think the Israelis did try a fixed probe for their Vipers, among other ideas (a retractable probe mounted in a 600gal droptank was most notable).

Switching gears here, I read in AVST that Japan is seriously considering another batch of 20 or so F-2s as a partial F-4 replacement. I'm lead to believe that these will be "stock", however it would be pretty cool if they decided to expand the capabilities of the aircraft in lieu of a Tiffy/Turd/Rhino/Ego buy. 
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

nev

Interesting - especially given the exorbitant cost of the F-2 and the fact it is optimised for AtG/AtS.

Guess we need the profilers to do some grey F-2s in 301 & 302 Hikotai markings! :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Export F-2's would be VERY welcome too  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: nev on August 11, 2010, 09:03:14 AM
Interesting - especially given the exorbitant cost of the F-2 and the fact it is optimised for AtG/AtS.
<...>

Wasn't there some talk of fitting them with state-of-the-art multi-mode radars? Don't remember where I read it though.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

====================

To-do list here

anthonyp

I love that heavy Japanese F-16.  Makes a great Naval Fighter when Whiffed.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Shasper

QuoteWasn't there some talk of fitting them with state-of-the-art multi-mode radars?

Several years ago there were quite a few ideas tossed around for a F-4EJ replacement based on the F-2, including multi-mode radar, LANTIRN & IRST integration IIRC, and CFTs . . . Wonder if anyone at MHI is dusting those plans off now?
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

Quote from: Shasper on August 15, 2010, 04:18:21 PM
QuoteWasn't there some talk of fitting them with state-of-the-art multi-mode radars?

Several years ago there were quite a few ideas tossed around for a F-4EJ replacement based on the F-2, including multi-mode radar, LANTIRN & IRST integration IIRC, and CFTs . . . Wonder if anyone at MHI is dusting those plans off now?

Well, I saw some discussions not long ago on just this idea - Japan considering advanced F-2 versions instead of foreign designs for the F-4EJ replacement.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jynx

anthonyp

Getting back to my Ching-Kuo/F-16/F-2 question, anyone know how accurate this pic is?

Because if it's accurate, those Kiddy-land kits are really, really messed up.

dy031101

Quote from: anthonyp on August 31, 2010, 08:18:39 PM
Because if it's accurate, those Kiddy-land kits are really, really messed up.

Can't see the picture, but the Kiddyland kit was allegedly created when the F-CK-1 was still known to the public only in artist impression forms, so the outrageous inaccuracy (I knew as I handled one in the past) is to be expected.

====================

To-do list here

anthonyp