Started by Matt Wiser, August 15, 2004, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redstar72

Does anybody need F-CK-1 drawings?
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

MAD

Quote from: anthonyp on August 31, 2010, 08:18:39 PM
Getting back to my Ching-Kuo/F-16/F-2 question, anyone know how accurate this pic is?

Because if it's accurate, those Kiddy-land kits are really, really messed up.

Thanks for the comparison anthonyp!
I never realised the Ching-Kuo was so much smaller than the F-16!!

M.A.D

redstar72

Quote from: MAD on September 04, 2010, 05:34:27 AM
Thanks for the comparison anthonyp!
I never realised the Ching-Kuo was so much smaller than the F-16!!

I don't think it's correct. According to my sources (Aero Revue issue 65, 1997), the IDF Ching-Kuo is 14.21 m long (with Pitot tube), while F-16C is 15.03 m long - also with Pitot tube.
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

anthonyp

Yeah, I thought they were smaller, but not from what the pic showed.  And the Kiddyland kit makes them roughly as big as a Hornet, so I is confuzed.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

Who said the USMC never flew the F-16...

QuoteMarine Squadron's F-16 Flights "a Milestone" Toward JSF

(Source: U.S Air Force; issued March 21, 2011)

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --- Marine aviators of Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 completed four sorties this week in F-16 Fighting Falcons, beginning a familiarization process to ensure readiness and efficiency in the transition to the Department of Defense's fifth-generation fighter, the F-35B Lightning II.

"It's a tremendous opportunity to fly (these sorties)," said Lt. Col. James Wellons, the VMFAT-501 commander. "This is the first time a VMFAT-501 pilot has flown here at our new home."

Officials elected to bring the F-16 Fighting Falcon from Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., to the 33rd Fighter Wing here, because of its similarity to its descendant, the F-35. Its flying characteristics are similar to the F-35, so the training and mindset pilots will have in a single-engine fighter transitions from the F-16 into the F-35.

The Marines, who'd only flown in Marine and Naval fighters, they discovered vast similarities to the Air Force F-16 and their AV-8B Harriers, F/A-18 Hornets and EA-6B Prowlers.

"In many ways there was no difference," Colonel Wellons said. "It was very similar to how it feels to fly any tactical aircraft."

The differences they did notice were the Air Force language and methods used to communicate about and inside the aircraft. For example, Marine aviators use hand gestures to communicate aircraft movement, while Air Force aircrews may tip or tilt the wings of the aircraft to indicate a procedure.

This familiarization is doubly beneficial to the Marines, not just to understand an aircraft style similar to the F-35, but to also experience Eglin's runway and flightline operations, maintenance procedures and airspace.

"This training allows us to eliminate the added variables of learning all new flight operations with a completely unfamiliar aircraft all at the same time," said Capt. Mark Noble, the aviator safety officer for VMFAT-501. "If we already understand flightline procedures and guidelines and know what to expect from a similar aircraft, we can focus primarily on F-35B training."

Looking back on their first flight in months, both Marines admitted to a bit of aviator "rust," but were glad to be back in the seat and flying.

"This is a major milestone for VMFAT-501," Colonel Wellons said. "Every time a Marine flies an aircraft here, it's one step closer to putting F-35s in the air."

The Marine variant of joint strike fighter, the F-35B, contains a short take-off and vertical landing engine. The STOVL variant will replace the Marine Corps inventory of F/A-18s and AV-8s. The Italian air force is the only international partner scheduled to fly the STOVL variant. The F-35B will be the world's first operational supersonic STOVL aircraft.

-ends-
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Interesting.  Is there a two seat, training version of the F-35 planned?   Without it, will they make the same mistake they made with the AV-8A?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Equally interesting is the fact that the pilots were / are going to be flying STOVL.  I wonder if the whole 'single engine' thing has merit, given that the AV-8B is single engine, just like the F-16, only a vectoring engine, not conventional?  Although the F-16 & F-35 might have similar flying characteristics, I doubt the F-35B will be like the F-16, given it's STOVL capabilities.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Certainly won't land like one!  :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on March 23, 2011, 01:54:38 AM
Is there a two seat, training version of the F-35 planned? 

Not at this stage.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

reddfoxx

Not sure where to post this, but this thread seems most appropriate:

Stumbled across some whifs this weekend at Smitty's Hobby Shop, Dayton Ohio.  A great, old-school hobby shop, with friendly service, a good selection of kits, trains, supplies, and a ton of finished projects on display, like these.

The full range of F-16 variants.  Apparently the builder worked at Wright-Patt, and people were pushing many roles for the F-16.  So, he said fine, you want it to do anything?  Now it can do anything.

The yellow one in the front is the Bush Falcon.  Then we have the A-16 and B-16.  Next row L-R are c-, D-, and E-16s.  Then regular F-16, ATF-16, BQM-16, and T-16.  In the rear, U-16.  All are very nicely done.

Not sure of the story behind this, but it's from the same builder.  Poking around online to see if there ever was a proposed B-52K, came on this too:
http://combatace.com/topic/65334-b-52k-s-for-sugar/

ChernayaAkula

^ That Israeli twin-engined XL....  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rallymodeller

The B-52K "S for Sugar" is from our own Spinner, IIRC. The same pics are on his "Strike Fighters" Profiles-and-CGI thread.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

jcf

The F-16 collection reminds me of this old cartoon printed in the Aviation Week Letters section back in the '60s:
;D
You cannot view this attachment.

PR19_Kit

I just LOVE that U-16!  :wub:

But then I would, wouldn't I? :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: GTX on March 23, 2011, 01:26:58 AM
Who said the USMC never flew the F-16...

Seen it!  ;)

Those F-16s rock! Cool B-52 as well! Thanks for sharing!!

All of those various vipers make me want to do the "one aircraft GB" (F-4 GB, P-51 GB Etc.)
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.