M113 'The Bucket'

Started by ranger6, January 31, 2008, 07:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Below pic is that of a CM25, TOW missile launcher version of the Taiwanese M113 development (CM21).

Compared to the CM21, the CM25 does not have firing ports, and the additional hull side armours are filled with foams instead of bullet/shrapnel-resistant materials in order to increase buoyancy (it is supposed to be amphibious since the CM25 is meant for the ROCMC).

As upgrade for the ROCMC's current fleet of M41A3 becomes an unknown factor, the CM25 is looked at as a partial stand-in.

I was thinking that since TOW missiles can have their wires shorting out over water (of course by the way the CM25 gets to open fire, the vehicle would more often than not be already on the shore), maybe revive the M113-based conversion with the M24 turret...... develop a 76mm gun from the one used by the M18 tank destroyer but incorporating the size- and weight-saving meansures used by the M24's original main guns, install it into the M24 turret, give it better fire controls as well as an updated co-axial machine gun, and mount the turret onto the CM25 hull with engine relocated to the rear and front hull roof lowered......

Ho ho, another 3DS Max project...... (granted every time I try to finish the Blackhawk, real life events intervened......)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 03, 2009, 10:21:45 AM
1) behind the ex-Malaya Canadian Ford Lynx is a partial view of an M8 Greyhound turret equipped ARVN M113, the only pic I've come across so far.

Hum...... does anyone know now in what capacity is this modification employed?  Reconnaissance vehicle or some sort of MICV?

If not, then looking at this partial view, would anyone be willing to venture a guess?

(I can still imagine the 37mm gun being a somewhat effective anti-personnel weapon if the ARVN have ready access to canister shots......)

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

This picture was created as part of a war of words although IMHO not that bad compared to other pictures of the same nature......

M113 with Ontos turret?

====================

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on September 06, 2009, 09:22:22 PM

Hum...... does anyone know now in what capacity is this modification employed?  Reconnaissance vehicle or some sort of MICV?

If not, then looking at this partial view, would anyone be willing to venture a guess?

(I can still imagine the 37mm gun being a somewhat effective anti-personnel weapon if the ARVN have ready access to canister shots......)

From what little info I've found it seems it was one of a number of attempts to increase the firepower of the M113,
so it seems likley it was intended as fire-support in an M113 platoon.

It is also likely that the South Vietnamese had access to the M2 canister round for the 37mm gun, that is of course dependent on how many rounds were left over from WWII.

BTW if you look closely in the photo I think you can see the back of an M3 Stuart turret mounted on another 113.

Jon

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 09, 2009, 09:25:32 AM
BTW if you look closely in the photo I think you can see the back of an M3 Stuart turret mounted on another 113.

Didn't realize that (I'm more used to the turret shape of later-production Stuart tanks)...... hum......

Despite only seeing the partial shot, the Greyhound turret doesn't strike me as being mounted too far back...... almost like it's sitting where the commander's cupola would normally be.

As for the one with early-production Stuart turret...... was that ACAV-type rear gun shields behind the turret?

====================

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on September 09, 2009, 10:58:17 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 09, 2009, 09:25:32 AM

Didn't realize that (I'm more used to the turret shape of later-production Stuart tanks)...... hum......

Despite only seeing the partial shot, the Greyhound turret doesn't strike me as being mounted too far back...... almost like it's sitting where the commander's cupola would normally be.

As for the one with early-production Stuart turret...... was that ACAV-type rear gun shields behind the turret?
The "ACAV-type" gunshields were originally developed by the South Vietnamese forces, so I'd say its safe to assume that the objects are shields for .30 Browning MGs.

Jeffry Fontaine

This is definitely something you do not see very often even in real life so when someone builds a model of one you have to take some time to really appreciate the work that went into this project.  Kwan Lam just uploaded some images of his scratch-built Green Archer Counter Battery/Mortar Locating RADAR surveillance vehicle based on a heavily modified 1/35th scale M113 on Track-Link 

Link provided to the model in lieu of hot-linking the images since Track-Link is not always so cooperative with these things. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Wyrmshadow

Wow, old topic, but I need a question answered by some of you guys. I'm about to start animating an M113 and I found these curious protrusions and pipes on the top of the hull and I dont know what they are. 2 on each side, front and back.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

philp

Here is a pic with the antenna mounted.  The brackets provide protection for the bases of the antennas.

Here is a fun Turkish version.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on February 25, 2010, 08:48:06 PM
Wow, old topic, but I need a question answered by some of you guys. I'm about to start animating an M113 and I found these curious protrusions and pipes on the top of the hull and I dont know what they are. 2 on each side, front and back.

Offically they are brush guards, intended to protect the radio antenna bases from being swept off the hull top when charging through the bush.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Wyrmshadow

Thx. I had thought they might have been posts for installing m60s like in the ACAV version.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

MAD

An interesting adaption of the WWII Maxon M45 (4 x 12.7mm M2 MG) mount.
An excellent weapon for convoy protection or just as a defensive system, which only goes to show that you do not have to re write the book!
Good thing is the 12.7mm round is an ideal round! not to light and not to heavy for urban ops
The thing I like about the quad arrangement is that if one (or even two for that matter) guns jam - who cares!
Either way you do not want to get hit by a 12.7mm round!!

The only problem I see though, is the fact that the Maxon M45 operator is not under armour - and could/would be very vulnerable to return fire!!
Also there is the danger of low electrical and telephone cables, which could snag or do damage to mount in urban ops, due to its height!

M.A.D

rickshaw

Your first picture shows a standard van sized truck passing one.  Doesn't appear much taller.  I suspect this would be slightly taller than an M577 ACV.  If you're worried about overhead cables, why not erect a cable cutter in front of the turret?  I don't think its too great a fear - if it was you simply clear the road before you bring the vehicle down it (and as these vehicles would not be in the forefront of any advance, they'd be alerted to any potentially dangerous cables along any route by those who are).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

I don't fancy having to change the ammo boxes under fire!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones