Not in a Hurri......an experiment

Started by Rafael, February 03, 2008, 07:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Rafa, you can try a technique that works great with epoxy putties and RTV molds - sprinkle some talc (I've used real talc) into the mold, making sure that it covers everything. Shake off the excess. You'll end up with a very fine layer of talc in the mold. When you add the resin (or in your case, the Bondo) the talc sucks the resin in towards the mold, eliminating most of the bubbles and voids. The talc particles become embedded in the resin, but you won't be able to see them.

Frank

B777LR

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Heh, heh :wacko:

Well, I couldn't find any stores open today (it's carnival here, and no business worth its salt will open until wednesday), so I couldn't buy more supplies. When I do, I will experiment more and more. Even Frank's tip. There should be a way, I know.

As for the canopy, my hurri will have "another, undisclosed inhabited space" :wacko: :wacko: :ph34r:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Rafael

Ok, it's 2 am.

I couldn't sleep anymore and I rose to come to my modeling....room, to see what happened to the experimental cast, made per frank's reccomendation. Left side fuselage. Mold sprinkled with talc, finger-smoothed and the bigger bubbles were filled with talc by means of a little wooden stick whose tip I carved like a chisel.

Great reduction in the cuantity and depth of bubbles. Reduced to an almost manageable defect

I used straight polyester resin, without bondo mixed in, the results were better.

I will pour a wing surface now, the worse of all my bubbled-up molds. Go to bed, and rise again at sunup, to see how it went....

Hot-D@mn, this is fun!!!

Rafa
Sleepy-eyed
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

Perhaps it would be faster to experiment if you made another mold? :lol:
Will we see photos of the molded parts soon? Nudge nudge...

wolfik

it would be easier to work with when you would position a plastic plate covered with double adhesive tape with the slick side on the mould .you would have a flat resin part .no more need to sand it flat.
and....when you would glue the moulded parts on the double sided tape it would be much easier to get an exact mould.
dont know if someone mentionned it earlier....sorry :)
has no time to read all the posts :) (sorry nr.2)
best´regards
....sorry Nr.3 "sorry for my english"  :unsure: