What if...not anymore

Started by Blacklion213, February 03, 2008, 05:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Jennings

I believe all the FY55 and FY56 model KC-135s have been retired, but there are lots of FY57 birds (mainly delivered during 1958) still in USAF service.  Only the H model B-52s are still in service, all of which are FY60 & FY61 models.  I'm not aware of any older aircraft still in service in the USAF, and I'd wager that other than perhaps some odd T-33 someplace (which are becoming quite rare), there are no older airplanes still in active service other than the Basler C/AC-47s.  Those have been basically remanufactured into essentially new airplanes however...

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

B777LR

The South African AF has DC-3s (many, if not all converted to dakletons or turbo dakotas)

The RAF has a couple of Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Lanc + C-47, aka BoB memorial flight... (well they arent in a museum ;D)

Again, the SAAF has C-130Bs (very upgraded)

The French C-130s are also very old (i beleive they inherited the first ones from Angola or Congo...)

dragon

lots of old stuff all around Latin America: Bolivian T-33s, Mexican UH-1Hs, El Salvadorean Fouga Magisters, Cuba must have some ancient stuff.... :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

B777LR

Quote from: dragon on February 06, 2008, 11:14:38 PM
Cuba must have some ancient stuff.... :mellow:

Not really, looks alot like many middle-eastern airforce, as well as Easterb Europe:

Wikipedia says following:

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed x 8
MiG-21MF x4
MiG-21UM x4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 Flogger  x 18
MiG-23MF/MS x6
MiG-23ML x10
MiG-23UB x2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum  x 3
MiG-29B x 2
MiG-29UB x 1
Mil Mi-8 Hip x6
Mi-8T x4
Mi-8TKV x2
Mil Mi-17 Hip-H  x 8
Mil Mi-24 Hind x 4
Mi-24D x 4
Antonov An-24 Coke 
An-24 x 4
Antonov An-26 Curl 
An-26 x 3
Yakovlev Yak-40 Codling 
Yak-40 x 3
Ilyushin Il-62 
Il-62 x 1
Ilyushin Il-96 
Il-96 x 2
Aero L-39 Albatros 
L-39C x 7
Zlin Z-326 
Z-326T x 20

Martin H

Quote from: B777LR on February 06, 2008, 11:09:55 PM
The French C-130s are also very old (i beleive they inherited the first ones from Angola or Congo...)

The french herks are amoung the youngest H models out there. they were very late to join the C 130 owners club
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Svaz

Quote from: Jennings on February 04, 2008, 12:15:48 PM
  An xC-135 is *NOT* a 707!  It's a Boeing 717!!

Isn't the 717 a re-engined and definitive DC-9/MD-8x/MD-90?

Not that a tactical gray Maddog w/ trailing twin drogues wouldn't look cool and all, but I'm confused ...  :unsure:
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

B777LR

Quote from: Martin H on February 09, 2008, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: B777LR on February 06, 2008, 11:09:55 PM

The french herks are amoung the youngest H models out there. they were very late to join the C 130 owners club

Also the 4 or 5 ex-african ones?

QuoteAn xC-135 is *NOT* a 707!  It's a Boeing 717!!

Isn't the 717 a re-engined and definitive DC-9/MD-8x/MD-90?

To older people the 717 is a version of the 707, to younger generations the 717 is the MD-90 with glass cockpit. Both were named 717, but since the first 717 was based on the 707, and was a military jet they dropped it.

P1127

In military service (if not an Air Force) the Qinetiq/AAEE Harvard must be in with a shout - 70 years of Harvards in British Mil Service this year.
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Shasper

The 717(C-135) Came first, then the commercial 707 followed, both were based off the Dash 80 prototype.

The "new" 717 is a furthered stretched & refined MD-80 derivative, less than a hundred were sold IIRC & Boeing axed the program.

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

Jennings

Quote from: Shasper on February 14, 2008, 04:02:16 PM
The 717(C-135) Came first, then the commercial 707 followed, both were based off the Dash 80 prototype.

The "new" 717 is a furthered stretched & refined MD-80 derivative, less than a hundred were sold IIRC & Boeing axed the program.

Shas is correct on the first point.  The original Boeing 717 was the C-135 series.

The 'current' (although no longer in production) "Boeing 717" is the McDonnell Douglas MD-95.  It's not a stretched MD-80, but rather a massively updated version of the old DC-9-30 with BR700 engines and the latest MD-90 avionics and cockpit.  The last one was just delivered last year.  Main customers were AirTran and Midwest.  It was the final gasp of both the DC-9 program, and of the lineage of commercial transport aircraft that started with the DC-1 in the early 1930s.

The dolt at Boeing who decided to name the MD-95 the 717 should be taken out and drawn and quartered, and the individual pieces shot prior to being drowned.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Shasper

So I stand corrected, given my knowhow of the MD series of DC-9 variants is not my strong suit. (When I first saw the 717 I knew it was longer than the "stock" MD-80, hence my assumption)

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

Jennings

Quote from: Shasper on February 14, 2008, 07:02:00 PM
So I stand corrected, given my knowhow of the MD series of DC-9 variants is not my strong suit. (When I first saw the 717 I knew it was longer than the "stock" MD-80, hence my assumption)

Shas 8)

It's actually quite a bit shorter than an MD-80 :)  It's the same fuselage length as the DC-9-30, which is about 20' shorter than an MD-80 is...

In any event, nothing that came out of Long Beach can ever be a 717 in my book...

J

Shasper

I'll take yer word for it mate, all I know is that its got that DC-9/MD-80 look :-?

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

Blacklion213

again from www.alert5.com

NSAWC is getting 4 E-2C permentlt assingned to it, E-2 in flanker camo *homer* ummmmmmmm.....

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=141464