F-15 For The Canadians out there

Started by Ed S, February 03, 2008, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

This is an F-15B that I converted to an F-15 STOVL.  I added canards and modified the exhausts to the 2D vectoring ones.  This A/C was tested in this configuration but never went any further.  I thought it would look good in Maple Leafs, so here it is configured for an Air to Ground mission with an old Pave Knife Pod and LGB's.

Rear View of the exhausts

Side view.

Top View

Side view.

Enjoy.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Rafael

Great model!!!

I really like the way you modeled the exhausts. And the paint scheme is wonderful!!!

Beats my F-15M (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17063.0/highlight,maserati.html)

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Ed S

Quote from: Overkiller on February 04, 2008, 12:58:45 AM
Very Nice!  -_- :wub:

How did you make the nozzles, or is there an aftermarket set available?

Just interested as the SMTD version is one I have in mind to do as an operational upgrade on a F-15.

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan,

Thanks.

The nozzles are scratch built.  I'm not aware of any aftermarket sets.  I used sheet styrene to make the nozzles and then used putty to build up the aft fuselage to match the contours of the new nozzles.

Ed

Quote from: Rafael on February 04, 2008, 04:03:40 AM
Great model!!!

I really like the way you modeled the exhausts. And the paint scheme is wonderful!!!

Beats my F-15M (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17063.0/highlight,maserati.html)

Rafa

Rafa,

Thanks.

Looked at yours.  It's good.  You did a little more creative whiffing than I did.  My approach on this one was to take the STMD bird and make it operational with little changes.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Splendid!  Would have looked fantastic in any scheme but the Leafy Roundels definitely put it in a class above all others!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

Quite some time ago I'd seen a model of one of these in a magazine, IIRC it was 1/72 scale and it was painted white with red/white/blue stripes on all the wings, the stripe edges running more or less parallel with the leading edges but getting wider as they neared the wing tips.  I was so sure that some manufacturer had kitted the model that I've been looking for one ever since.   But it looks more and more like someone had done a conversion too as I can not find this model or even the magazine where I first saw it.

These are a nice pair of models of this aircraft, very impressive.  The information I have about the aircraft is that MD used F-18 tail planes for the canards, is that what you guys used?

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rafael

Yeah, I read about that tidbit of info somewhere, and I used Hornet tailplanes.

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Glenn Gilbertson

Great idea beautifully executed! I particularly like the colour scheme.

Ed S

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2008, 09:01:47 AM
These are a nice pair of models of this aircraft, very impressive.  The information I have about the aircraft is that MD used F-18 tail planes for the canards, is that what you guys used?

Robert

Thanks.

Actually, I didn't have a Hornet that was willing to volunteer it's tail planes to the cause.  So I used one to trace the outline on sheet styrene, cut it out and then sanded it to shape.

Ed

Rafael

1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Eddie M.

Another beautiful contribution. :mellow: I'm glad you found your way over "here".
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

gooberliberation

Those nozzles are great. I would've never had the nerve to even attempt them, let alone get them to look right!
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah.....now you're talking Ed ! What a machine, the mighty F-15. From the first time I saw on do a four-point roll on the deck at the CNE I knew she was my pet !

And a STOVL variant ? Bring it on ! Kinda makes you wonder......

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

A few years ago, about 1999 or early 2000-ish I went to see the Cold Lake airshow, there was an all white (with red flashes) F-15B flying that weekend, I've got some photos of it saved on a CD somewhere, which it was announced had the single directional exhaust nozzles fitted.  I didn't get a photo of the nozzles unfortunately.  It didn't have the canards then either.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike