Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread

Started by SPINNERS, February 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPINNERS

Gloster Javelin Mk.58A - 17 Staffel, Swiss Air Force, 1966

Just to ring the changes I've recoloured the Rb-27 (Swedish Falcon) missile to create the HM-55S missile as initially carried by Swiss Mirages. Serials are from the stock Hunter F.58.

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4N Phantom - 2da Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque, Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1991

'What If' the Argentinian Navy upgraded their F-4B's to F-4N standards?

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4K Phantom - 3ra Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1994

Phantom phanatics will recognise the JASDF F-4EJ camo tweaked to fit the shorter nose and bigger ar5e of the Spey-engined F-4K (actually an 'M'). I like this one but need to give the Argentine carrier (the ARA Bernardino Rivadavia) something else - one for next weekend me thinks.

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4N Phantom - 2da Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque, Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1982

Why I did I overlook the Super Etendard scheme for an Argentine Phantom?!! This is the stock F-4K skin adapted to fit the F-4N (jet nozzles and ECM on the intakes) and it's a close enough match with decals bringing it to life. I'd noticed that my previous 'ARMADA' decal had an M that didn't match real COAN aircraft so I've had to create a new one using the Amarillo font for 'AR' and 'ADA' and then switching to a scaled Meiryo UI Bold for the 'M' - this took me longer than knocking up 26 serial/code numbers!

Over the weekend I'll try and get something else aboard the ARA Bernardino Rivadavia and you've certainly given me some good ideas.

SPINNERS

McDonnell F-101N Sea Voodoo - 3ra Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque, Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1972

OK. Let's get the fact that the Voodoo was a hot-ship out of the way... this is 'what if' land! It does come with a hook however, albeit one that looks like it needs beefing up a bit - compared to the F-4 Phantom's. Perhaps McDonnell were able to give the Voodoo the same blown flap treatment as the similarly 'T' tailed Buccaneer or the F-104. The Voodoo family is really well represented in 'Strikefighters' with all major variants modelled in superb detail by 'Erikgen'. I like the shape of the F-101 and really should do more Voodoo what if's but perhaps it's overshadowed in my thoughts by the Phantom, as it was in real life.

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-18N Hornet - 42 Smaldeel, Belgian Air Force, 1984

There's a couple of first-generation F-18's available for 'Strikefighters' and this one already includes a fictional USAF SEA skin so I've simply added Belgian markings to that scheme with a couple of new F-16 codes. The 'N' in F-18N simply stands for NATO and means a common build standard adopted when the F-18 won the 'sale of the century'  :wacko:

Eagle-eyed viewers will note that the F-18N in the last piccie has no code number but is included because it's just a great shot!

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4L Phantom - 3ra Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1991

The basic Ferris scheme (from Third Wire's own F-4 skin pack) has been tweaked to feature the Spey nozzles and Marconi ARI.18228 RWR fin cap plus some overspray on the rudder, a black radome and with some pretty toned down decals. Note the false canopy - featured on a couple of the stock Third Wire F-4 skins.

SPINNERS

Grumman F-14A Tomcat - 2da Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, 1982

Whilst I belatedly used the Super Etendard scheme on the Phantom I'm making no such mistake with the Tomcat... boom! There's an excellent template for the Tomcat so creating the skin didn't take too long and a couple of simple edits have allowed the carriage of the AM39 Exocet on the outer pylons but it is a much heavier missile than the Phoenix.

Available for download at Combat Ace!

SPINNERS

Saunders Roe Zephyr AS.1 - 814 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1960

Trap!

A very nice Breguet Br.1050 Alizé was released recently in Aeronavale and Indian Navy flavours and I've used the early Aeronavale Alizé to create the Saunders Roe Zephyr AS.1. I still prefer the Gannet! Hunter aficionados will recognise the Mark 6 serial numbers and British carrier fans will note that 'R09' is, of course, the Ark Royal.

SPINNERS

Gloster Javelin Mk.54 - 6º Stormo "Diavoli Rossi", Aeronautica Militare, 1966

Anything in classic RAF camo looks good with Aeronautica Militare marking and especially good with a bold Diavoli Rossi fin!

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas Phantom F.3 - No.11 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1985

Following the 1982 Falklands War the UK Government decided to upgrade the Falkland Islands defences by deploying a squadron of Phantom FGR.2's but realising that this would weaken the UK's interceptor force they looked for an interim stop-gap until the Tornado F.3 was available in sufficient numbers. The closeness of the Thatcher-Reagan relationship soon saw a US offer of 48 ex-USN F-4S Phantoms sufficient to not only reform No.74 squadron but also replace the two Lightning squadrons at RAF Binbrook and thus upgrade the UK's air defences.

A subtle one this as it's the slatted-wing F-4S wrapped up in the slightly tweaked stock F-4M camo. Sadly, the F-4S isn't a stock Third Wire aircraft but a superb third-party model is available from which I've removed a few parts (mainly ECM and slimers).

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4L Phantom - VMFA-334 'Falcons', United States Marine Corps, 1974

With all the considerable design effort being put into the marriage of the Phantom airframe and the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engine McDonnell Douglas thought it might be a good idea to propose a version to the US Navy and the US Marine Corps to allow the Phantom to operate from the smaller carriers that were limited to F-8E Crusaders. In June 1966 the designation F-4L was given to the proposed Spey-powered Phantom and in October 1966 an initial order for 130 F-4L's was made, followed by an unexpected export order of 30 F-4L's for the Royal Australian Navy.

Deliveries to the US Navy commenced in February 1969 with VF-24 becoming the first operational squadron. By this time the wisdom of operating such a relatively large aircraft on the older, smaller carriers was seriously questioned and most F-4L's served aboard the larger carriers or with land-based units.

When the decision was made not to re-equip the USMC 'fighter-attack' Phantom squadrons with the hugely expensive Grumman F-14A Tomcat, McDonnell Douglas pushed hard for low-rate production of the F-4L to continue specifically for USMC use and they were eventually successful meaning that production continued until 1976 with an eventual  total of 306 F-4L's being built. Apart from Australia, F-4L's also served with the Royal Air Force where 15 ex-USN F-4L's were sold to the UK Government to allow the formation of an additional home-based Phantom squadron to release a squadron for the defence of the Falkand Isles.

First off, let me confess that the backstory is a repeat that I've just tweaked slightly. I can't believe that I've never shown the Phantom with RAF Camo and USMC markings but that's exactly what this simple 'what if' is - very little work. I'm not too sure if VMFA-334 are transitioning from the Phantom to the Harrier or vice-versa!

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4L Phantom - VF-51 'Screaming Eagles', United States Navy, 1979

This very colourful VF-51 skin is included in the F-4 Phantom II USN/USMC Skin Pack and needs a tiny amount of work to fit the F-4K and can also fit the Marconi ARI.18228 RWR fin cap with a bit of extra work.

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4L Phantom - VF-102 'Diamondbacks', United States Navy, 1972

Thought I'd try the VF-102 skin on the earlier F-4K - it looks a little less British but the Speys are still there!

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4L Phantom - VF-1 'Wolfpack', United States Navy, 1973

It's hard to believe that VF-1 were inactive between 1945 and 1972 - I'll have to rectify that at some point! This VF-1 Phantom joins my F-111B, Tornado F-19C and MiG-23 in 'Wolfpack' markings but the Phantom nose is a bit too cluttered to have the nose stripe used on the others and I think it looks pretty cool without it.