Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread

Started by SPINNERS, February 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPINNERS

Ambrosini SS.4 'Tornado' - 65th Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1942

A better camo than my first attempt and one to try on something really different at some time.

Edit: Extra shot added with white fuselage band.

SPINNERS

Ambrosini SS.4 'Tornado' - 162 Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1940

Not quite as simple as the NMF but I probably like this one the best. I'll add the white fuselage band to the second of my desert camo schemes.

SPINNERS

Piaggio P.101 'Falco' - 162nd Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1936

This is the Curtiss P-6E Hawk all dressed up (in a nice Laura Ashley print) as the fictional Piaggio P.101 'Falco' which predates the Fiat CR.42 so Celestino Rosatelli will just have to think of a new name for his plane  :lol: The camo is actually one of those digital camo schemes but scaled up and blurred the pixelation is not really noticeable.

SPINNERS

Yakovlev Yak-37 'Fatfrog-A' - Soviet Air Force, Cambodia, 1979

This is the YA-9A that 'drakkodj' very kindly passed on to me about 18 months ago and I thought I'd try a darker camo on it. This aircraft must have had it's UC doors replaced recently...  ;)

SPINNERS

Reggianne Re.2009 'Lucciola' - 377th Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1943

I've always thought that the Fairey Firefly is a handsome beast since building the Frog MkI (lol - about 4 decades ago) and somewhere in the loft are a couple of Airfix MkV's. If I was doing this one again I would go for a lower demarcation line on the rear fuselage but the markings really bring this one to life. Some piccies have a bluey-black tint to simulate night and my quarry are a fair number of high-flying B-24's.

SPINNERS

Macchi MC.95 'Artiglio' - 378º Squadriglia, 51º Stormo, Regia Aeronautica, 1941

The variety of WW2 Italian camo schemes is mesmerising in both number and complexity but thankfully this dark green camo was actually very easy to create as I've simply used a terrain tile from Strike Fighters 2:Vietnam and tweaked it a bit. I've done this before to create a VPAF camo and it looks quite good on the A5M 'Claude'. Less successful was my attempts to put a number behind the fuselage band. I'm normally good at stuff like that but this one has me beat, which is a pity as I made a lovely set of white outlined red numbers. Nevermind, they'll come for something else.

SPINNERS

Martin-Baker MB.5 - No.2 Escuadrón, Fuerza Aérea Uruguaya, 1949

Just a little nod towards Uruguay who played Wales today in the 2015 Rugby World Cup - a brilliant opening weekend!

SPINNERS

Ambrosini SS.4 'Tornado' - 378º Squadriglia, 51º Stormo, Regia Aeronautica, 1942

Final Regia Aeronautica scheme for the SS.4 - I promise!!

SPINNERS

Heinkel He-280 - 352º Squadriglia, 51º Stormo, Regia Aeronautica, 1944

I don't have a full template for the He-280 so cannot do a camo version in Regia Aeronautica service but this NMF version looks pretty cool! The fuselage numbers are from a homemade font (numbers only!) as I just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for but after a few hours work I can make them in any colour under the sun!

SPINNERS

Messerschmitt Me-262A 'Rondine' - 362º Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1945

This is the Avia S-92 by 'Veltro2K' (who modelled the Ambrosini SS.4) reverse-engineered back to a Me-262 and given a Regia Aeronautica scheme with a lo-viz twist to operate as a night intruder.

SPINNERS

Supermarine Attacker Mk.1B - No.1 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, April 1944

I quite like the Attacker (originally developed for the RAF) but it was developed at such a glacial speed that it was nearly obsolete when it first flew in 1946 and very much obsolete when it entered service five years later - an absolute age in the early days of the jet era. Anyway, this is a simple 'Hurricane Night Intruder' black skin with some early Typhoon serial numbers.

SPINNERS

Guangxi Aviation Cyclone - 1st Fighter Regiment, Vietnam People's Air Force, 1949

The end is nigh!

This is the lovely Caudron C.714 released a few months back by the SFP1 Development A-Team with a new skin by me using my 'Vietnam' camo (created from a terrain tile) and placed into an alternate timeline Vietnam Peoples Air Force. Guangxi Aviation is a fictional Chinese aircraft manufacturer btw and, mirroring real life, the Chinese licence-built the 12.7mm DShK-38 machine gun so these have been added to 'upgun' the Cyclone (the Caudron C.714 had smaller calibre guns).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caudron_C.714

SPINNERS

Caproni F.9T 'Squalo' - 162° Squadriglia, Regia Aeronautica, 1945

I've previously shown the Douglas Skystreak as the J-1 (an early post-war Chinese interceptor) but this time I've decided to knock up a proper template and start off with a simple NMF skin to create a late-war Italian jet fighter. There is some sort of 'tube' like similarity between the Caproni Campini N.1 and the Skystreak but the Italian aircraft is really much more graceful with it's Spitfire wing.

SPINNERS

Lavochkin La-166 'Frigate' - PVO Strany, 1947

I've added the missing bit of the anti-glare panel, boosted the specular setting for a bit more shine and just used stock decals.

SPINNERS

Lavochkin La-166 'Frigate' - 22nd Fighter Regiment, Korean People's Army Air Force, 1951

More Skystreak-ski shenanigans!