Previous topic - Next topic

SPINNERS

SPINNERS

Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 - Ejercito del Aire,1956

Photo-bombed by my Portuguese Meteor!

SPINNERS

SPINNERS

Supermarine Syrena F.1 - No.145 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, 1963

Another repeat from 2010 but with No.145 Squadron replacing 'Treble One'. Back in 2010 I think I chose Supermarine as the manufacturer because of the very loose resemblence to the Type 553.

SPINNERS

Tupolev Tu-16 'Badger' - Grupo 1 & Grupo 2, Fuerza Aérea Argentina, 1966

I've shown the Grupo 1 Badger before and whilst I was re-visiting it I thought I'd add a second squadron by using the stock silver skin but with new decals including black serial numbers. I've said it before but the Badger is a very handsome aircraft... most un-Russian!

SPINNERS

I do like the overall shape of the Sukhoi Su-7 'Fitter' and I've enjoyed putting this profile page together. If I was doing it again I think I would have standardised on the Su-7BMK variant seen in the bottom four profiles with the shorter probe, drag chute, fin-mounted RWR and also it's two additional weapons pylons. I might come back and do the Syrena F.1 using the Su-7BMK 3D model but still in silver/NMF and with classic 1960's Fighter Command markings.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for at least a couple of weeks so I'll see you sometime in mid-November.

SPINNERS

I decided to give Albania a miss on this profile page of Sukhoi Su-9PF's (a fictional variant) with four of the seven using stock decals but I've knocked up number decals for the Bulgarian, Hungarian and Romanian ones with 18 decals (this only because I'm planning to upload it to Combat Ace). The Bulgarian and Romanian ones have numbers with outlines which makes them much more time-consuming to make but I think it's worth it. The 'Alkali' missiles on the Su-9 (and some MiG-19 and early MiG-21's) are absolutely useless in game and I've read that they were in real life too!

SPINNERS

Sukhoi Su-11 "Fishpot-C" - Mongolian Air Force, 1969

I've had a long-running fascination with the Mongolian Air Force since seeing some classic b&w photo's of their MiG-21's and pilots and I uploaded a Mongolian MiG-21PFM to Combat Ace back in 2011 (one of the few real world aircraft I've ever uploaded). Anyway, I thought I'd put those markings on the Su-11. This is quite an elderly 3D model but there's noubt wrong with it and the cockpit is amazing.

SPINNERS

Mikoyan MiG-27 "Finback-B" - Soviet Air Force, 1972

I've taken a fancy to the Chinese J-8 'Finback' series of interceptors - a quite brutal looking family. The 3D model for the initial J-8 with the simple MiG-21 style nose intake is just a bit too rough to use but there is a much better 3D model for the later J-8B. The Chinese skin has just been given a greenish radome and tail antennae to make it look a bit more Russian and I've tweaked it to carry 'Anab' missiles. Because the initial J-8 bears a resemblence to the MiG Ye-152 'Flipper' I just had to make this 'Finback a Mikoyan aircraft but this highlight the age old problem of what designation to use as the contemporary odd numbers of 21, 23, 25 and 27 have been used but perhaps '23' could cover all Floggers and thus free up '27' for this beast.

SPINNERS

Hongdu L-15B Falcon - Korean People's Army Air Force, 2023

The 3D model for this Hongdu L-15 has been around since 2013 and I suspect it's been ripped from another game as it's not mapped correctly meaning it can't be painted properly and I had to 'paint' some components using decals. I made a simple template with just a few basic lines and shading but it's been a bit of a nightmare. It's quite a good-looking machine in a very competitive market and this little list of comparable aircraft is from the wiki page for the L-15;

AIDC T-5 Brave Eagle

Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master

Boeing T-7 Red Hawk

TAI Hürjet

Guizhou JL-9

KAI T-50 Golden Eagle

Yakovlev Yak-130

SPINNERS

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F "Fresco-C" - Unknown Aggressor Flight, Soviet Air Force, 1954

I was mooching about in an area of my desktop I call 'The Hangar' where I store stuff I've downloaded, used and abused - a sort of temporary resting place before it gets discarded. A camo skin for the MiG-17F caught my eye and I thought it might make a good Soviet Aggressor but thinking of the immediate post-Korean War period I switched to a silver scheme but with those big yellow bands seen on F-86's. I knocked-up a Soviet 'starbar' and some four digit numbers with a simple false canopy to complete the look.

SPINNERS

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F "Fresco-C" - Unknown Aggressor Flight, Soviet Air Force, 1955

A real quickie this as the base skin is a Vietnamese Peoples Army Air Force skin found over at Combat Ace with decals from my first Aggressor (minus the yellow bands) and with different nose numbers that have a white outline to make them stand out a bit.

SPINNERS

Dassault Mirage IIICI - No.1 (Black Velvet) Squadron, Irish Air Corps, 1976

Another revised repeat but using a nicer 3D model and a better skin. Piccies 1 to 4 show Matra Magics (boy, do I hate that odd pylon) and 'supersonic tanks' whilst Piccies 5 and 6 show Sidewinders and bigger tanks.

SPINNERS

Republic Thunderstreak FGA.1 - No.67 & No.71 Squadrons, RAF Germany, 1955

After playing around with a silver/NMF skin (below) I remembered that both Belgian and Dutch camo skins are available with RAF camo and PRU Blue undersides so I thought I'd give them a go. First time I've done a No.67 Squadron 'what if'  :mellow: .

SPINNERS

Republic Thunderstreak FGA.2 - No.234 (Reserve) Squadron, No.1 Tactical Weapons Unit, RAF, 1971

Every now and then I like to keep an aircraft in RAF service long enough for it to wear classic 1970's RAF red/blue markings which had definitely arrived by 1971 as they are shown on the cover of the RAF Yearbook (albeit on an artist's impression of the Panavia MRCA). So for the Thunderstreak to get to 1971 then it needed to be in an 'end of days' training role like with the TWU's. This skin is one of my 'cut and shut' jobbies where I've pasted the grey undersides of a Luftwaffe F-84F onto the Belgian/Dutch skin to replace the PRU undersides. Very quick and very effective!