Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread

Started by SPINNERS, February 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: SPINNERS on January 15, 2024, 09:11:46 AMBTW has any aircraft in history been powered by so many different engines?

Production machine wise, very unlikely. The only aircraft that could have flown with more engine types would have been a pre war engine test bed or maybe one of the inter war fighters.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

SPINNERS

Saab Draken F.2A - No.23 'Red Eagle' Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1991

I originally did this one back in 2009 and for this refresh I'm doing a new overall grey scheme instead of the two-tone skin that it came with. I might try a 'proper' F.2A RAFG scheme  ;) .

SPINNERS

For the purposes of this profile page, I've renamed the boring grey Drakens as F.3's.

The Draken has an usual 'parts breakdown' so I found making an RAFG skin a bit tricky as the upper and lower demarcation line runs across the nose, fuselage and wings! It ended up looking a bit ugly from certain angles but looks OK in this piccie.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Love the RAF Drakens!  :wub:

Suggestion (mayby not doable in Strike Fighters but for plastic modelling): vary the accessories with the different mark numbers. The F.1 would have no under-nose IR sensor, the F.2 would have the sensor and a fin-tip RWR fairing, and the F.3 would have the Danish-style under-intake pylons. The latter would allow it to carry four missiles and two drop tanks.

If the F.3 is to carry Sidewinders on the wing pylons, tanks on the fuselage pylons and Sparrow/Skyflash on the intake pylons, then the big wings of the latter, carried further forward, might be destabilising, so they fit the under-wing ventral fins from the two-seater to compensate.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

LOVE the F2As.  :wub:

I could just see them blasting out over Gutersloh's fence.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

SPINNERS

North American F-100D 'Shavit' - 117 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1967

Another one from 2009 but with some new decals including my recent stencilled serial numbers. I'm thinking that Israel had some of the last F-100D's off the production line (1959-ish) and took an emergency delivery of second-hand USAF F-100D's (in SEA Camo) during the October War of 1973.

PR19_Kit

I wonder why they didn't do that for real?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

SPINNERS

North American F-100D 'Shavit' - 253 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1973

Despite a very smooth test and development phase North American Aviation's superb F-107 unexpectedly lost out to Republic Aviation's F-105 Thunderchief in the competition for a new supersonic fighter-bomber for TAC. By early 1959 the end of the F-100D production line was now in sight and with the F-108 and B-70 programmes now on the far horizon North American Aviation needed to stretch the F-100 Super Sabre programme out to plug the gap and urgently proposed a variety of F-100 variants to several friendly nations, including Israel, Japan and the United Kingdom.

In April 1959 the Israeli government signed for 50 F-100D's and the first of these entered Heyl Ha'Avir service in February 1960 replacing the obsolete Gloster Meteors of 117 squadron. The 'Shavit' was a popular machine in Heyl Ha'Avir service and served with distinction during the 1967 'Six-Day' war but losses were heavy during the early days of the 1973 'Yom Kippur' war and two small batches of ex-USAF F-100D's were accquired as attrition replacements allowing No.253 squadron to re-equip with the F-100D before finally retiring the type in November 1977.

Just a short photoset to show the F-100D's transferred in from USAF stocks. This time around I've added a sharkmouth but the tail marking is from 2009 - it only seems like yesterday when I designed it.

SPINNERS

Blackburn Barge C.1 - No.30 Squadron, RAF Transport Command, 1961

A lovely C-119C Flying Boxcar was released by the DAT boys recently with a very colourful French scheme and it turns out that the French operated nine C-119C's loaned to them by the US and operated in French Indochina. Anyway, this morning I started making a simple template for the C-119C with thoughts on attempting an Argosy style skin with the white uppers and 'blue flash' pinstripe but whilst the fuselage pod went OK I had to scale back a bit on the booms by not having the white uppers and blue pinstripe as it was just a bit complicated for me given the time I was prepared to spend on it. However the markings plus the white fin, fin fillet and rudder really do give it that 1960's Transport Command look so overall I'm very happy.

PR19_Kit

Excellent!  :thumbsup:  The Packet really looks the part in Transport Command colours.

I can see it as a mini-Beverley, and a LOT faster, but then so is a snail..........  ;D

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2024, 10:12:44 AMExcellent!  :thumbsup:  The Packet really looks the part in Transport Command colours.

I can see it as a mini-Beverley, and a LOT faster, but then so is a snail..........  ;D

The Beverly didn't fly anywhere, it just stayed in the air untill the earth rotated to the right place for it to land.   ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....