Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread

Started by SPINNERS, February 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Heh, great minds and all that...

I just pinched "F-103E" straight off the NMF Mirage III was using for the colours on the assumption that they'd buy the Lightning instead and use the same number. I suppose it's equally possible that they'd call it the "F-56", but I didn't remember to use an export designation until I'd finished and by then I didn't have time to re-do the fuselage code.

Do you mind if I post your pics on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ), with full credit of course? A Brazilian guy took quite an interest in my little profile so I'm sure he'd be thrilled by yours.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

SPINNERS

Quote from: Weaver on January 29, 2024, 12:21:57 PMDo you mind if I post your pics on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ), with full credit of course? A Brazilian guy took quite an interest in my little profile so I'm sure he'd be thrilled by yours.

Not at all.

Weaver

Quote from: SPINNERS on January 29, 2024, 01:16:56 PM
Quote from: Weaver on January 29, 2024, 12:21:57 PMDo you mind if I post your pics on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ), with full credit of course? A Brazilian guy took quite an interest in my little profile so I'm sure he'd be thrilled by yours.

Not at all.

Okay, done, and he liked it and shared it too.

Here's the post: https://x.com/hws5mp/status/1752107631215296723?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

SPINNERS

I'm reminded that, with the exception of Argentina, I don't do enough South American what ifs.

SPINNERS

Hawker Hunter T.61 - Escuadron de Combate 2111, Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana, 1974

This Hunter T.7 is quite a rare beast in 'Strike Fighters' as it's never been formally released by anyone and I think it was ported over from another flight sim. It has a couple of issues (including a missing nosewheel door) but the RAF skin is really good and I've pasted the national markings directly onto the skin maps getting the underwing roundel and 'FAE' the wrong way around! AFAIK the Escuadron de Combate 2111 is ficticious and their condor marking is out of me own 'ed. For the serial numbers it looks like the FAE use construction numbers or something else other than a logical chronological progression (for example their Jaguars had lower numbers than the T-33's) so I went with their previous RAF serial numbers. I looked for gaps in the Hunter variants and was surprisingly spoilt for choice but plumped for the T.61 designation.

SPINNERS

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 09, 2024, 11:33:24 PMWould also work well with a SEA pattern from a Singaporean Hunter (mimicking the Strikemasters' livery)?

Well, I looked high and low and couldn't find one. Then, when I'm looking for something completely different, I find one!

Hawker Hunter F.55 - No.2 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1970

This SEA Camo skin by 'Geary' just needed a bit of a touch-up on the spine and tail area (which was devoid of tan) and for this Kiwi bird I've knocked-up a new No.2 Squadron 'nosebars' and switched to same size Kiwi roundels. I like it!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: SPINNERS on February 01, 2024, 06:59:59 AMThis SEA Camo skin by 'Geary' just needed a bit of a touch-up on the spine and tail area (which was devoid of tan) and for this Kiwi bird I've knocked-up a new No.2 Squadron 'nosebars' and switched to same size Kiwi roundels. I like it!

They look great! Are Mavericks (e.g. from a Swiss Hunter) available? Would be a cool ordnance, and a Europe One scheme (like the late Kiwi Skyhawks) could be another RNZAF livery variant?  :lol:

SPINNERS

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 01, 2024, 11:34:33 PMThey look great! Are Mavericks (e.g. from a Swiss Hunter) available? Would be a cool ordnance, and a Europe One scheme (like the late Kiwi Skyhawks) could be another RNZAF livery variant?  :lol:

Mavericks are available but as they are rail-launched they obviously need a launch rail and it looks like only the LAU-88 triple (for F-4's, A-10's, F-16's, etc) is available. There are 19 versions of the superb 'Third Wire' Hunter available including 3 Swiss F.58's but all have the basic 4 pylons with later versions at least having the AIM-9 launch rail. A Euro One scheme will need to be done from scratch so I'm going to put that on the long-term ideas list as, including the two types of drop tank, that will require no less than 7 templates.

SPINNERS

Douglas Skyraider FB.3 - No.6 Squadron, RAF Near East Air Force Command, 1967

For RAF Skyraiders I've previously been content to use the stock USN grey and white skin or the USAF SEA Camo but I thought a classic WW2 desert camo (on a classic WW2 RAF Desert Air Force squadron) would look good on this most impressive bomb truck. I've also done this with No.8 Squadron markings who may have not been impressed having to give up their Hunters for the Skyraider but it might have been the right tool for the job for operations over the Radfan mountains.

chrisonord

That is exactly how I want to do my RAF skyraider. Based in Africa in the 1960's during operation saladin. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

I did something similar to a pair of Raiders for Area 88
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Those RAF Skyraiders look just right  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

SPINNERS

Quote from: kerick on February 02, 2024, 11:31:52 PMThose colors on the Kiwi Hunter look great! The tan looks different from the USAF SEA scheme. Is it custom or already available?

This SEA Camo skin by 'Geary' just needed a bit of a touch-up on the spine and tail area (which was devoid of tan)

So I guess it was already available but I've customised it!

SPINNERS

Douglas A-1H Skyraider - No.2 Squadron, Royal Rhodesian Air Force, 1965

A change of colours for this Rhodesian Skyraider with dark green and dark earth uppers and sky unders which is nicer than the azure I used on the RAF Skyraiders above.