Biplane Fighters from the Thirties

Started by GTX, February 08, 2008, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

Any ideas on whiffs for aircraft such as the Heinkel He 51, Arado Ar 68, CR.32 and the like?  Here's one I wasn't aware of but which has lots of potential - the He-51W:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

The service designation was He 51B-2.

How about a P-6E with a geared engine? The raised thrust line could give an aircraft with a nose profile similar to the XP-23.

P-6E

XP-23
Jon

Brian da Basher

Or you could add a bubble canopy to it like the P-6EXGloss Hawk:

Brian da Basher

jcf

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 08, 2008, 02:19:13 PM
Or you could add a bubble canopy to it like the P-6EXGloss Hawk:

Brian da Basher

One could indeed use an enclosed canopy, it would most likely resemble the canopy of the XP-31, which flew three years before the enclosed canopy was proposed for the design that became the Gladiator.

XP-31 as first flown in July, 1932.

After conversion to Conqueror V-12 in 1933.

Jon

Brian da Basher

Wow that XP-31 is hot! Thanks for posting, Jon!

Brian da Basher

P.S. It would look cool "biplaned" with an upper wing.

jcf

Yer, welcome Brian.

It did indeed look cool, but... alas, alack performance wise 'twas a bit of a drut. The P-26 won the contest.

As to turning it into a biplane, oddly enough that sort of did happen with a Curtiss design.
The unsuccessful parasol wing monoplane, retractable landing gear XF12C-1 two-seat fighter, was redesignated the XS4C-1 and tested in the Scout role, that didn't work out and it was re-designated once more as the XSBC-1 - the new Scout Bomber designation.
The XSBC-1 crashed during flight test. The aircraft was replaced by the XSBC-2 biplane, retractable gear two-seat Scout Bomber ( which was realistically speaking a new design, though it was listed as a replacement and used the same serial number as the XF12C/XSBC-1 - 9552) .

XF12C-1

XSBC-1

XSBC-2

Curtiss ever moving forward into the past. :banghead:

Cheers, Jon

Archibald

On the french side were the Nieuport 622 and Bleriot-SPAD S-510.
What about a biplane Dewoitine D-500 ?  :ph34r:
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Arc3371

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2008, 08:16:09 PM
Yer, welcome Brian.

It did indeed look cool, but... alas, alack performance wise 'twas a bit of a drut. The P-26 won the contest.

As to turning it into a biplane, oddly enough that sort of did happen with a Curtiss design.
The unsuccessful parasol wing monoplane, retractable landing gear XF12C-1 two-seat fighter, was redesignated the XS4C-1 and tested in the Scout role, that didn't work out and it was re-designated once more as the XSBC-1 - the new Scout Bomber designation.
The XSBC-1 crashed during flight test. The aircraft was replaced by the XSBC-2 biplane, retractable gear two-seat Scout Bomber ( which was realistically speaking a new design, though it was listed as a replacement and used the same serial number as the XF12C/XSBC-1 - 9552) .

XF12C-1

XSBC-1

XSBC-2

Curtiss ever moving forward into the past. :banghead:

Cheers, Jon

Curtiss wasn´t the only ones, all hail the Hillson FH.40!

philp

I have the Hasagawa kit of the He-51 with floats but plane on making the land version in Spanish Civil War markings.

Think my fav bipe fighter has got the be the Gladiator.  So many schemes and then the Malta history. 
Course, need to make several real world versions of this one.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Joe C-P

One of the discussed group build ideas was to "move back" the start of WW2 to the early 30s, so that these kind of aircraft were actively used. I plan to someday pick up some USN bipes and paint them in the blues of the mid-to-late war USN and USMC schemes.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

r16

Brian da Basher

I'm really keen on biplanes with enclosed canopies and fixed landing gear. I guess it's because the idea seems so anachronistic. Adding an enclosed canopy or even a blown canopy really changes the look of an aircraft!

Brian da Basher

Arc3371

One aircraft that nicely answers to that is the AVIA Bk.534, enclosed cockpit and cannon armed.

Daryl J.

A fixed gear F3F-x would be cool.    The as-produced F3F-2 with some depth charges and an Atlantic Scheme might work too for the Defence of the Statue of Liberty Patrol.   Could the British scheme of White under that grey/slate grey (dark, ex dark, not quite so ex dark, African or European....I forget just what the kullers were called) look pretty decent?

The Sparrowhawk without its hook might look good in some lend-lease Rooskie schemes, post-war corporate sponsorship, or in Virgin Atlantic livery.    That has to be one of my favorite looking bipes along with the P-6E with claws.

Hope y'  had a great weekend everyone.
Daryl J.

Daryl J.

How about a CR.32 with a metalized fuselage and upper wing and sent to Egypt for aerial research?   (or CR.42 for that matter)

Supermarine Walrus in US Navy WW-II Atlantic Grey/white/white.

Daryl J.