Biplane Fighters from the Thirties

Started by GTX, February 08, 2008, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

In the mid-thirties there were some "transition" monoplane aircraft that had some of the characteristics of biplanes (open cockpits and/or fixed landing gear) like the Mitsubishi A5M "Claude".  I have kitbashed two such examples, one from the Gloster Gladiator, and another from a He-51. Curiously, after I had already done my "Gloster Gadfly" monoplane (looking somewhat like a Macchi MC 200), I discovered that Gloster had produced a prototype of something remarkably similar. My "He-151", however, seems to be "safe" as a "what-if". I kept all aspects of the He-51 fuselage and tail, added a three-bladed prop, and the elliptical bent-wing and retractable landing gear of the He-112. I painted it in custom "Alpensplatter" camo colors, with fictional Pro-German Austrian Anschluss markings.  Cool! I will try to post some pics of them when I can.

Craig Burke
AKA Sequoiaranger
AKA Admiral U. Furashita
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

GTX

QuoteI will try to post some pics of them when I can.

Yes, you do that and nobody needs to get hurt. ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

OK, twist my arm!

Here is the He-151 "Edelweiss" and the "Gloster Gadfly" Irish Republic fighter with skids to take off from bogs in Ireland.

jcf

Your He 151 looks like something the Gunter brothers (designers of the He 49, 51 and original 112) might have actually done.

Here is one of the early prototypes, the He 112 V4, it differed from V1 to V3 by being built with a redesigned wing with an elliptical leading edge and shortened span. The V4 was the first prototype for the He 112A series, the other A aircraft being the V5, V6 and V8. The He 112B series was an extensive redesign done under Heinkel Technical Director and Chief of Development Heinrich Hertel, the He 112B series emerged as a very different aircraft.

Jon

Radish

There's quite a few 1/72nd kits easily available:
ICM do Soviet types, the He51, etc..
Airfix do a Gladiator...aaaaaaggghhhhhh....it's horrible!
SMER have re-released a lot of the Heller '30s thingies.

I like making WWI type biplanes into sesquiplanes, etc.
Especially in 1/48th.
I've just done a silver RAF SE5E sesquiplane and have nearly finished an Israeli SE5E in 3-colour camo on border patrol. They'll be ready for Tyneside on June 1st. Also, I might (hope) to have my Japanese sesqui-Camel done too.

And remember, the last Fokker D.VII was built (in Lithuania as a trainer) in 1937 :o

Soon I hope to do a Fokker D.VII.v and a Fokker D.VII.vii/v :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Daryl J.

Hawker Fury with some sort of turbo prop which never existed hanging on the front.     The same engine goes on the front of the Avia B.534 Series III.

Daryl J.

sotoolslinger

Well I'm actually working on this concept right now

Please go look at my Bushmaster ;D
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/skyrocket/buccaneer/
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

Looks like fun! I went to your link with lots of pics. I seem to see a Dauntless tail and wings, Stuka landing gear and prop, and Corsair canopy/turtleback. Can't place the cowl. The (40mm?) guns look aftermarket, or from some 1/76-scale tank (presuming the plane is 1/72). It has a "Commonwealth Boomerang" look to it.

sotoolslinger

Sranger , it is a Dauntless fuselage, Corsair cockpit, ,P61 cowling and t-tail made with the Corsair horizontals. The gun pods are scalorama'd from 1/72 Pak 40 and are actually high velocity 30 mm  see my thread in Current and finished projects. :wacko:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/skyrocket/buccaneer/
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Daryl J.

What was that Russian hybrid biplane that converted into a gull wing monoplane for flight?     It's a pretty cool idea.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Weaver

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 23, 2008, 09:27:18 AM
What was that Russian hybrid biplane that converted into a gull wing monoplane for flight?     It's a pretty cool idea.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Nikitin-Shevchenko IS-1 and IS-2.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/a_nikitin-shevchenko.html

Info on the never-built IS-4 model:

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/RAM/is-4.html

The biplane wing could theoretically be extended in flight for added combat maneuverability, which makes me think that you could do a beautiful, grainy-black-and-white parody 30's version of the moment in Star Wars where the X-wings "lock S-foils in attack position"..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

I bet the blokes who flew those hybrids would buy those 1957 Ford hardtop/convertibles where the whole hardtop retracted into the boot!

PS--there was about as much luggage space in the Ford as there was in the IS-2!

Doc Yo

For what its worth, A Model ( out of Poland ) made kits of the IS-1 & 2. Sold out at Squadron sometime back,
but I think Hannants still has them.

GTX

QuoteThe biplane wing could theoretically be extended in flight for added combat maneuverability, which makes me think that you could do a beautiful, grainy-black-and-white parody 30's version of the moment in Star Wars where the X-wings "lock S-foils in attack position"..... Grin

Yes - maybe with the Death star being played by a large NAZI Airship!! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

I like the look of the plane. Can you see yourself allowing an open cockpit? The overhang would be armor, and an open cockpit would go with the spatted landing gear and would not be so obviously a Corsair canopy. You might put a small side hatch to ease entry and exit. If it's a ground-attack aircraft, sleekness for extra speed is not so important, so maybe the open cockpit might work. Then again, the pilot would have to have good goggles and helmet to keep his hair from lashing his face open!