P-47 SuperBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

John Howling Mouse

While I await some stuff to dry on my A-5 Menaz, I've gotten back into these two babies.  If you go back a couple of pages, you'll see where I last left off.  Getting the backplates on the decreased cowl to fit the modified engine face perpendicularly (is that a word?) was harder than it sounds.

Should have the pair of fuselages together tomorrow.   :cheers:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Not forgotten, just languishing in an endless sea of Putty-Sand-Repeat.
But they're ready for the forward fuselage extensions now (just have to make 'em).
Decided not to bother modifying the tailfin, either: looks like a Republic product "as is" and I'm going to keep it that way.

jeff3385

March on John, those are both shaping up. Are you planning modifications to the wings as well? At least one of them might get underwing tip fuel tanks or simply wingtip tanks. Sure looking forward to seeing more on both builds. :dalek:
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

Brian da Basher

I applaud your decision to keep the oreiginal tails and retain that unique Republic Look Mr Howling Mouse! Thanks for posting an update on this fantastic project. I was wondering how it was going.

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Jeff3385: No mods planned for this pair's wings but there are some good ideas from others back in the thread that I plan to do sometime later which might involve wing mods (like squared-off tips, etc.).  For this variant, I wanted viewers to instantly recognize the Jug but then do a double-take when they quickly realize something is different about it.

I laminated some .125" styrene sheet to 1/2" total thickness and cut it for the fuselage extension plugs.

Shaping these to fit is gonna be interesting...   :banghead:

cthulhu77

Wow !  That is true craftsmanship !!!!!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Still intrigued by this one..... keeping me on the edge of my seat in anticipation  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

BlackOps

I can't remember, do I love JHM this week or hate him? Great work!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: BlackOps on April 07, 2008, 06:24:05 PM
I can't remember, do I love JHM this week or hate him? Great work!  :thumbsup:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will die without understanding this world.

noxioux

I think I've permanently lost the use of my legs from being propped on the edge of my seat on this one.

Those are turning out to be some sexy uber-jugs.  Wow.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

SimonR

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on April 06, 2008, 03:22:53 PM

Wow! How did you cut the plugs out? A bandsaw?

I know from bitter experience that styrene is hard to sand in lumps that big, I think Forex may be much easier if you can get some.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

puddingwrestler

Forex? Isn't that a beer from Queensland?  ;D
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: SimonR on April 10, 2008, 03:23:37 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on April 06, 2008, 03:22:53 PM

Wow! How did you cut the plugs out? A bandsaw?

I know from bitter experience that styrene is hard to sand in lumps that big, I think Forex may be much easier if you can get some.

Yep, bandsaw.  The sanding will be easy as pi, errrr, pie.   Wolfik swears by Forex, too, btw.

More in-progress pics coming this weekend.

Brian da Basher

Wolfiuk swears by Forex? I thought he had no time for sex.

Brian da Basher