P-47 SuperBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

You may need to change gears on the NMF Mr Howling Mouse, but I definitely think your Superbolts can be saved. Once what's on there has cured you should be able to apply more putty over top.

Maybe try an SEA camo scheme?

Brian daa Basher

John Howling Mouse

As much as I hit rock-bottom (model-wise, to keep it in perspective  :rolleyes: ) with the wet application of the Aves Apoxie Sculpt, I have learned that the stuff sands like a dream.  Which is not to say it reduces easily but it reduces evenly, which is more important to me.  In fact, my hands are pretty sore from the 2 hours I just spent polishing these two models down.  When wetsanding, the Aves Apoxie Sculpt feels somewhat like hydrocal, if you've ever had to sand down that sort of plaster.  Doesn't really feel like an epoxy.  But is it ever STRONG!   Milliput would have cracked with the pressure I was applying.  And the 3M plumbers putty would have become a bit granular.  This stuff becomes more and more like porcelain as you wet-sand it.  I could not clean up all the gunky parts and I know this isn't perfect but I'll primer it and see just how flawed or smooth it really is (hard to see with the white Apoxie over white plastic). 

I will try to gently scribe some panel lines and imprint faint rows of rivets, too.

BlackOps hit the nail on the head: I can tell now that smaller applications layered up would have been easier to deal with.  And, next time, I will simply treat it like I do Milliput and plumbers epoxy: small amounts built up over time and mask off adjacent areas that need to be protected from gunk overwash!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

I think that has come out very well Barry, good save  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jeff3385

Way to go John... I think you have made an excellent recovery from your learning experience. All's well that end's well, and I now think this will end well. So glad you didn't just trashbin the pair when you thought they were ruined. Perhaps we all learned a lesson in this one. Keep on keepin' on.
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

Brian da Basher

I'm glad to see you were able to make this work Mr Howling Mouse, and magnificently! The puttied areas look smooth as silk!

Brian da Basher

kitbasher

Good rescue, Mr JHM.  Looking forward to the finished items.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

Yeah, nice one Baz, sounds like although the stuff isn't easy to work with, it has it's applications.  I've found this with a few putties I've used, I tend to reject them initially because they're different.  If I work with them again, I usually find they have their uses.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

BlackOps

JHM, glad your a stubborn man and didn't give up! Looks pretty good to me, Other than the fact you'll have to do some re-scribing I don't think you'll have any problem with a metal finish.

Ave's is a little tricky but once you learn how to use it it's wonderful stuff. You have to work in small batches because it starts to get pretty tacky after about fifteen minutes, and begin's hardening after about 30, one cool thing about Ave's is you can paint it while it's wet  :thumbsup: as JHM said you can just use water to smooth it out (do so sparingly) but takes a little getting used to. Dries solid in two to four hours and is rock hard after 24.  Another plus is it doesn't shrink or crack over time.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: BlackOps on April 20, 2008, 08:57:18 AM
JHM, glad your a stubborn man and didn't give up! Looks pretty good to me, Other than the fact you'll have to do some re-scribing I don't think you'll have any problem with a metal finish.

(Almost) Absolutely what I was thinking, but I'd chicken-out of NMF this time around, but then I've never been known for my (modelling) bravery.

Superb rescue, Bazz - and I do rescueing for a living ! :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ed S

Nice recovery JHM.  Glad to hear that you were able to sand it down.  It looks pretty good.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

cthulhu77

Wow, ice cream out of horse...well, you know. Very good save !  :cheers:

frank2056

Nice save, Barry. I'm a little late with this tip, but if you roll the Aves/Magic Sculp/Plumbers Epoxy in talc or corn starch, it won't be as sticky. It may eventually have a harder time sticking properly once fully cured, but at least you'll be able to knead and form it without having to deal with a frustrating mess.

You can also smooth it with alcohol instead of water - same effect without causing the putty to dissolve.

Frank

van883

Really good save-lately I've been losing my patience. Like with an Xtrakit Canberra which is going in the bin soon....
I am really looking forward to seeing how your 'bolts turn out.

Van

Patrick H

Nice save JHM,  You're an inspiration to everyone who ever gave up on a project, including me. Might take it up again thanks to you.

:cheers: :cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

John Howling Mouse

I hope you guys all DO take up whatever past kits seemed impossible.  Here's where the fun begins: the dreaded PSR (Putty-Sand-Repeat).  But they fly around the house very well.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.