P-47 SuperBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Eddie M. on June 01, 2008, 12:57:04 PM
Quote from: Rafael on June 01, 2008, 10:08:16 AM
OK, Baz.

This time I can't help but stare openmouthed at the screen.....

I believe this is how God wanted Jugs to look like.

Rafa

Very well said. I'll bet the guys who flew them would have liked to have your version much more. :ph34r:
Don't worry about the beauty mark. It's function over form, just like these A-6s on the Midway.;)
    Eddie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/US%20Navy/haildamage.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/US%20Navy/Picture777.jpg

Good pictures: reminds me of a picture I've got of a CVN's whole complement of A-7s parked up on deck. No two of them have got exactly the same paint job on the nose & anti-glare panel! Always a goos one to stick under the nose of a pair of JMNs who're arguing about what colour the pipes in the wheel wells are painted..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Jeffry Fontaine

Spinner's latest screen shots of the P-72 look a lot like your Super Thunderbolt if you ignore the huge intake on the underside of the aircraft (link to topic http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18821.msg284779.html#new).  The RN and RAF color schemes are also very convincing. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Cheering loudly from the sidelines :cheers:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

This was a LOT of masking....times two.   :thumbsup:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

I've got a question for you Barry, how do you hide all the little knife marks when you do your masking?  I've never been able to do it properly.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 13, 2008, 11:09:40 AM
I've got a question for you Barry, how do you hide all the little knife marks when you do your masking?  I've never been able to do it properly.

Oh, I cut all the masks independent from the model!  On a 5"x7" self-sealing cutting board.  Then I simply lift them into place onto the model.  No knife marks, ever.   :thumbsup:

sotoolslinger

I was going to ask the same question :blink: How do you get the sizing for your masking though :huh: Tracing? rubbing? Teach we unworthy Oh Master :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on June 13, 2008, 11:39:27 AM
I was going to ask the same question :blink: How do you get the sizing for your masking though :huh: Tracing? rubbing? Teach we unworthy Oh Master :bow: :bow:

Tracing would work but I seem to be able to eyeball such things to within a half millimeter of accuracy.  I think it comes from decades of high-realism drawing and painting, working from photographs (yeah, mostly nude women but enough about that! )

sotoolslinger

Well that's surprising.... in such a short reply I find so many more reasons to hate you ;D :lol: :rolleyes: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on June 13, 2008, 12:11:47 PM
Well that's surprising.... in such a short reply I find so many more reasons to hate you ;D :lol: :rolleyes: :bow: :bow:

Yeah, I get that a lot...   -_- ;D

Sisko

When I cut tape I use a sheet of glass from an old photo frame. The result is much the same.

Looks great mate can't wait to see this one all decaled up.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

kitnut617

(here's me with eyes all wide open with jaw on the table)  er! that's too easy!  I've been doing it all wrong all along  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: (that's beginning to hurt) (somebody said I was like a computer -- you have to punch the information in  :o )

Thanks Barry for enlightening me, I'm going to approach all this in a completely different way from now on   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nev

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 13, 2008, 11:49:43 AM
Tracing would work but I seem to be able to eyeball such things to within a half millimeter of accuracy.  I think it comes from decades of high-realism drawing and painting, working from photographs (yeah, mostly nude women but enough about that! )

And this is why you are in the select group of uber-modellers that we are lucky enough to have on here - you have that one thing that no amount of teaching, sharing, getting-the-best-tools, or anything else can get.  You have a natural, god-given talent.  And we are glad  :bow:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

sotoolslinger

What Nev said , but I still hate you ;D :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

Quote from: nev on June 14, 2008, 05:14:33 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 13, 2008, 11:49:43 AM

And this is why you are in the select group of uber-modellers that we are lucky enough to have on here - you have that one thing that no amount of teaching, sharing, getting-the-best-tools, or anything else can get.  You have a natural, god-given talent.  And we are glad  :bow:

What I've been trying to express for sometime and Nev put it into words for me. Bravo!
   Eddie
Look behind you!