P-47 SuperBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Way to go Barry, love the spinner.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

The spinner is aces, Mr Howling MOuse and will certainly add to the sleek look of this bird!

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Thanks guys.  I spent WAY too much time today on the prop nose-cones and trying to fit the engine into the cowl, etc.  The spacer bits for the gap b/w the nosecone and the prop baseplate are crude but they'll do.  I might not even bother to putty the resulting gaps.  If this was a Wolfik project, there would be functioning, miniature styrene nuts and bolts holding these pieces together.  Sigh....

Here is the shape for each segment I cut and shaped from 1/2" diameter styrene tube.

Here is the cut tube segment, a sample filler bit (I call them "schmoidz"), and you can see the gap that needs to be filled:

The piece in place.  Anh, it'll have to do.

Both props are done.  Lot of work for nearly no visible effect.  You folks will be the only ones to know...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SinUnNombre

Looks good from where I'm sitting Baz. Do you hear a faint beat off in the distance? That's an Oklahoma teenager giving you a standing ovation. I know I wouldn't have the cajones to attempt this build.

Jon

BlackOps

Nice Schmoidz ya got there  ;D  Seriously Mister Mouse, these are the little things that amaze me.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

Cool! :wub:

As for the tail, could a Bf-109G-10 tail be fitted? That would be cool!

ysi_maniac

:o :o :o :o
That is only propeller!!!
:o :o :o :o
Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

Nice scratch detail work, typical Baz. 

nev

Quote from: BazLot of work for nearly no visible effect

Yeah, but I *know* you enjoyed it :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Rafael

Aullidos from Caracas :wub: :wub: :wub:
I know these little, invisible details are the things one gets to love more of any model.

Bravo!!!

Rafa
(Another standing ovation)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Sisko

Nice to see your stage by stage build.

It really adds to the experience of enjoying your models. ;D

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

Quote from: Sisko on February 15, 2008, 02:42:10 PM

Nice to see your stage by stage build.

It really adds to the experience of enjoying your models. ;D

and it's a nice tutorial for us amatuers...
   Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Speaking of "amateurs," I can be such a dork sometimes ("Honey, is that you calling me?").

I really wasn't too happy with the way the cannons turned out.  It is just too difficult to sand down the mating cylinder surfaces at perfectly 90 degrees all the way around so some ended up "bent."

It suddenly occurred to me: why not just telescope some Evergreen tube and rod?  et voila! With a bit of shaping:

EXTREEEEEEME close-up!

Brian da Basher

Those cannons are totally pro-style Mr Howling Mouse! I bet you could start a cottage industry producing and selling them as aftermarket parts. Bravo!

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Ahhh...that's better.  Took a couple of hours but it will be worth it in the end.  Who wants to fly a WW2 air superiority fighter with crooked cannons?