P-47 SuperBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 08, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

I know its way too late to add this idea, but to make the plane look even more sleek chop off the top of the fin/rudder and extend the chord of the fin and add a bigger fin fillet than is usual with P-47s.

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: matrixone on February 12, 2008, 08:58:07 AM
I know its way too late to add this idea, but to make the plane look even more sleek chop off the top of the fin/rudder and extend the chord of the fin and add a bigger fin fillet than is usual with P-47s.

Matrixone

Can you sketch what you had in mind?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

matrixone

JHM,

I will try and do a sketch, will it post tomorrow. But you made it clear in this thread you were against the fin fillet anyway so its a little late for me to have any useful input. ;D
BTW, I love to draw airplanes!

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: matrixone on February 12, 2008, 05:14:16 PM
JHM,

I will try and do a sketch, will it post tomorrow. But you made it clear in this thread you were against the fin fillet anyway so its a little late for me to have any useful input. ;D
BTW, I love to draw airplanes!

Matrixone

Well, there's still time.  I'd like to see what you've got in mind.  There's always more P-47's to cut.  In fact, for my SeaBolt, I'm not planning on the same lengthwise cut but in order to deepen the fuselage for that seaplane version (like an Avenger fuselage).

Update on the two P-47 SuperBolts:
The tops and bottoms of each airframe are glued in sub-assemblies and drying but they're still separate (fuselages are not whole yet).  The two engine cowls are together now, too.  I really did make a bit of a mess out of the bandsaw cuts on the first (silver) one: can you say "PSR"???   ;D   I'm working on modifing the props to fit to the nosecones and baseplates from a pair of Monogram P-51D Mustang kits.  Wings are glued, initial basecoat painting of all the interior bits is done. Pilot's basecoat for the in-flight one is underway.

nev

Looks like another Baztacular project in the making!  :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

deathjester

Looks fantastic!  I have my own humble suggestion though - contraprops would look really smart with that lovely lengthened fuselage!

kitbasher

Well I never thought a Thunderbolt could look sleek - but then again I never thought a radial engine would ever look good on a Spit!, so what do I know??!! ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

matrixone

JHM,

Here is a crude sketch of my idea for the Superbolt tail section.
The drawing on the top is the standard tail, the bottom one is of the proposed changes.

Another way to make the Superbolt look sleek would be to add a spinner like the Fw 190D/Ta 152 had. ;D

Matrixone

Mossie

How have I missed this one????  That's a lovely pair of Jugs Baz!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another late suggestion coming in, how about squaring off the wing tips, at least on one machine?  Maybe different marks of the machine?  Especially if you're going for a ground pounder roll, would look fairly close to the wing on the Tempest.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Those SuperBolts are going to be COOOOOL machines

BTW, I like Matrix's and Mossie's suggestions

:wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

IMHO, the tail looks just right as it is. 

An interesting observation of the development of the P-47 is that even though they were able to increase the power of the engine by nearly a 1000 hp, the airframe shape hardly changed at all, if you compare how different all the tails that appeared on a Spitfire as that ones engine also increased by a 1000 hp.  I know some P-47' got a small dorsal fillet and in the N, a slightly larger one but when Republic developed the XP-72, with an engine of around 3500 hp, there was still no dorsal fillet.  It would suggest to me that it was 'over' designed for the earlier versions, which might have been alright in Maxitrone' idea, but not on later versions.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 14, 2008, 06:57:31 AM
IMHO, the tail looks just right as it is. 

An interesting observation of the development of the P-47 is that even though they were able to increase the power of the engine by nearly a 1000 hp, the airframe shape hardly changed at all, if you compare how different all the tails that appeared on a Spitfire as that ones engine also increased by a 1000 hp.  I know some P-47' got a small dorsal fillet and in the N, a slightly larger one but when Republic developed the XP-72, with an engine of around 3500 hp, there was still no dorsal fillet.  It would suggest to me that it was 'over' designed for the earlier versions, which might have been alright in Maxitrone' idea, but not on later versions.

I agree.  I don't think that changing the tail will improve the looks of the model.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

nev

Quote from: Mossie on February 14, 2008, 05:11:48 AM
How have I missed this one????  That's a lovely pair of Jugs Baz!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another late suggestion coming in, how about squaring off the wing tips, at least on one machine?  Maybe different marks of the machine?  Especially if you're going for a ground pounder roll, would look fairly close to the wing on the Tempest.

Great suggestion Simon!  IIRC the clipped wing on the Spitfire increased speed and roll rate at low level.  Like you say, ideal for a Jug loaded with bombs and rockets  :dalek:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Hmmmm....I think I need some more P-47 models, eh?

I think I would like to see Matrixone's tailfin idea, combined with Mossie's clipped wings concept but on the Razorback version and then to be a "ground-pounder" as noted.  Wonder if it could even be a Luftwaffe experimental/evaluation airframe from a recovered Jug?  That would drive the JMN's batty!

These current ones are supposed to be a sort of early "air superiority" variant: huge but sleek, powerful and nimble (like an F-15 in 1944?).

Oh, and I am putting a nosecone over the spinner: pics coming...

Thanks, guys!

John Howling Mouse

Prop modifications to get a P-51 nosecone to fit the revised P-47 prop and spinner: