Gray Pride Parade

Started by gooberliberation, February 09, 2008, 04:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

aka Grey Pride Parade

Im sorry about the title, I just couldn't help myself ;D

You know how most modern warplanes come in plain ol' lo-vis gray? Well everyone knows that said airplanes always look better in camoflage. What isn't fully appreciated is the fact that planes that've never appeared in overall grey also look awesome when they go low-vis(an expample would be gekko's ww2 planes done up in modern USAF colors.)

So here's the idea,

Paint up planes that have always(or usually) been in color into modern low-vis greys.
Example: Spitfire, Sabre, Frogfoot, Sturmovik, Bearcat, Liberator etc

-=*(OR)*=-

Paint up a normally boring-grey plane into a colorful scheme!
Example: SEA F-15. BoB era camoflage on a Eurofighter, Glossy blue Tomcats, OD/Neutral gray F-16s...
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Brian da Basher

I like this idea Goober! I think it's got a lot of potential and if it gets off the ground you can count me in.

That SE-5 idea really has me thinking...

Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

I'd be up for it!  I actually like gray warplanes.  I just get tired of seeing the SAME gray airplanes all the time.  This might be a good excuse to do a Fujimi Phantom FG.1 in late 90s SHAR colors.

...or a Gunship Gray F-105...

...or a Hellcat in current USN colors...

...or another updated RAF Hunter (1/48 this time)...

...or... ;D
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

anthonyp

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 09, 2008, 07:17:24 AM
...or a Gunship Gray F-105...
Ya know, I can't find it at the moment, but I've got a pic somewhere on my hard drive of a Gunship Grey F-105 Gate Guard.  It's got the same black stencil national insignia as F-15's.  Looked pretty cool to me!

EDIT:  FOUND IT!  Ok, so it isn't gunship grey (rather light ghost grey), but you get the right idea:

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

Hmmm - something from WW1 in greys...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: GTX on February 09, 2008, 10:37:21 AM
Hmmm - something from WW1 in greys...

Regards,

Greg

This one really does seem to offer something for everyone (except those who just hate grey, obviously).
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Brian da Basher

I like the flip side of this idea, putting colorful schemes on otherwise dull aircraft.

Brian da Basher

jcf

Y'all mean like these profiles created by our own Jennings Heilig?

or

From Madoc's Gallery of Jennings and J.P. Santiago profiles.
http://www.madoc.us/profiles.html

Jon

gooberliberation

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2008, 07:54:55 PM
Y'all mean like these profiles created by our own Jennings Heilig?

Yep, him too. Gekko did gray B-29s and -36s right?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lancer

Sounds like a good idea to me, count me in
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Blacklion213

Im in by defualt since out of my entire stash only one plane is getting its realworld scheme (Tuskegee F-16C)

other than that every thing e;se get what ever twisted camo i can come up with

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=141464

Mossie

For inspiration, here's a link to my USAF Tornado Profile thread.  The Tonka has been seen in some fairly colourful schemes, but these several of these schemes could be used for the F-15, F-16 & other USAF BOG aircraft.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18043.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

funnily enough, I think a P-51D would look cool in the standard USAF F-16 scheme.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

lancer

I'm assuming that this isn't just going to be US machines is it?? I've had a few ideas for a couple of mix and match schemes and I'd like to try them out.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die