Horten Flying Wings

Started by GTX, February 09, 2008, 11:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

How about some whiffs for aircraft that are essentially whiffs themselves (i.e. these never made it to operational service anyway, so anything in operational service would be a whiff here)?  I'm thinking especially of Horten Ho-IX (or Gotha Go 229 or Ho 229 - call it what you will), though other Horten flying wings are welcome too.

To start here are some ideas, I'm playing with:

• A captured version test flown by the Soviets;
  • An Argentine version - Reimar Horten emigrated to Argentina after all;
  • A two seat (Ho IXb) version dedicated to stealthy night attack, possibly using a developed IR sight and guided bombs (say Fritz-X's or developments thereof) - kind of like a WWII equivalent to the F-117 or B-2;
  • A Japanese version; and/or
  • A carrier based version.

What other ideas do you have - what modifications might you make?  I for one have always disliked the nose landing gear which looks far too large and out of scale.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

I like the idea #3.

Otherwise...... Ho XVIIIA and Ho XVIIIB- cruise missile platform and inflight refueling tanker.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

frank2056

I like the Argentinian version, with maybe a turboprop? That would probably destroy the lines, though.

GTX

Not necessarily - you could have a pusher turboprop setup somewhat like the earlier Horten Ho-VII:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MAD

Quote from: GTX on February 09, 2008, 11:31:46 AM
Hi folks,

What other ideas do you have - what modifications might you make?  I for one have always disliked the nose landing gear which looks far too large and out of scale.

Regards,

Greg

I have to agree with you 110% about that ridicules landing gear arrangement!
It's over sized, heavy and space consuming.
I have always loved this design – minus the landing gear also!
A smaller twin-wheel arrangement on both the nose gear and main gear would be far better – say like that of the He-219 Owe?
I'm sure (and hope) that this arrangement would have been only for prototype development.

M.A.D

K5054NZ

Yay! I've loooooooooved the Ho.IX ever since I laid eyes on it at age 15. Gorgeous machine. Just looks right.

Re scheme, an Argentine one would be cool.

Barbarossa II?

A Horten airliner for the "Fatherland"-era Lufthansa would be sweet.

Heck, ANY Horten IX in any scheme is good.

Hehe......RNZAF green/green/grey.....

gooberliberation

Quote from: GTX on February 09, 2008, 11:31:46 AM

Well, since the nosegear was plucked off a Heinkel 177, I'd hope that production models would have differently sized wheels. The goofiness of the wheel is why I'm planning on building mine with the gear up.

How about a postwar eastern-bloc copy, made by the likes of Avia or PZL in appropriate markings?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

dragon

I have built one in Japanese markings (I have displayed it here a number of times).  It has a pair of underwing cannons fron a tank buster Stuka.  I would have added the German version of air-to-air missiles for the time too, but was unable to find any.  It looks cool though! :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Mossie

How about photo recce or high altitude interceptor?  The aircraft had a very impressive ceiling, it'd be able to overfly Britain with virtual impunity.

As for other types, I often thought of getting hold of Unicraft's IAe.38 Narenjero & doing it up in Luftwaffe colours as a transport.  I've found this version on the net, seems larger than the Naranjero & closer to some of the other Horten designs:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Maybe replace it with an extendable gear?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ed S

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 11, 2008, 05:26:48 AM
The aircraft has the big nosegear as deltas and flying wing aircraft have a high angle of attack on landing and take off.  Whilst I know virtually bugger all about aerodynamics, I'd say that the bigger nosegear would give a shorter take off run.

Probably true, but that wheel just looks way out of scale for the a/c.  They could always do a nose gear strut extension like the RN did with their Phantoms.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

dy031101

There's always the scenario where Hitler got "no-factored" and Germany escaped Treaty of Versailles the hard(er) way......

Like, C&C Red Alert......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

PanzerWulff

If I remember part of the reasoning for the nose gear and wheel was to keep the engine intakes well away from the ground while operating from rough improvised airfields,as the bulk of germanys airfields were being pummeled at the time
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

kitbasher

I've made a start on a PM Ho229 with smaller wheels, a new canopy and new nose as an Armstrong-Whitworth flying wing alternative to the Meteor night fighters.  Callng it the 'Manta'.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter