Horten Flying Wings

Started by GTX, February 09, 2008, 11:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

QuoteThis is another one I'm redrawing as vector art in Illustrator

Jon,

I take it your version will be a pure line drawing without the camo scheme markings?  BTW, do you also have the Plan view?

BTW, Thanks guys.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on April 02, 2008, 10:55:55 AM
Glad someone has the ability to scan images.  Appreciate the input. 

I have had a couple of ideas for the Horten wing that I guess I should share with you.  For quite some time, I had been stumped about how to incorporate a couple of drop tanks on the wings in place of the usual air to air missiles that come in the one DML/Dragon kit.  I kept looking for something that was German and WWII vintage but I guess that was part of the problem.  After seeing the image on the preceeding page with the Horten in flight and dropping bombs, I realized that my search for a suitable pylon to carry bombs or fuel tanks could be broadened to include something that was not German or WWII era. 

What I had originally had in mind was to use a pair of drop tanks from an Fw-190 or Me-109 with the appropraite pylon under the wings.  The drop tanks were those peculiar looking things that remind me of insect larvae due to the inverse ribbing feature that was used during construction.  Focusing on that type of drop tank with a suitable wing pylon had been a challenge since there are few opportunities to acquire these parts cheaply.  I had no desire to be seen in public purchasing a Messerschmidt or Focke-Wolfe since I have an accute disdain for most German aircraft of WWII and that left me with few options.  Now that I have been "enlightened" I can broaden my search for suitable tankage and stores pylons from other period aircraft such as the Panther, Hellcat, and Bearcat to find a suitable donor of parts. 

Jeffry,

Another option might be the tanks from a Buccaneer - for some reason I think they would look good on the Horten:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on April 02, 2008, 12:01:00 PM
QuoteThis is another one I'm redrawing as vector art in Illustrator

Jon,

I take it your version will be a pure line drawing without the camo scheme markings?  BTW, do you also have the Plan view?

BTW, Thanks guys.

Regards,

Greg

Yep, and I will also be doing the plan view from the instructions, its too kluged up with decal placement leaders to be of much use as as a direct scan.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on April 02, 2008, 12:08:30 PMAnother option might be the tanks from a Buccaneer - for some reason I think they would look good on the Horten
Oy!  Now that is definitely something I had completely overlooked!  I have both flavors of slipper tanks available thanks to that double boxed special Buccaneer kit that was availalbe a couple years back.  The SAAF version has a larger version of the slipper tank that borders on "naughty" if it were viewed any other place but the wing of the Buccaneer.  This would eliminate the problem of how to hang the tanks if they were incorporated into the wings. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Ho 229 replica built for a National Geographic special mounted for radar tests.

The show is rather unfortunately (and incorrectly) titled Hitler's Stealth Fighter:banghead:

They claim it is built of "only 1940s materials", in the construction photos I don't see the steel tube
framework that formed the basis of the aircraft structure.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/hitler-s-stealth-fighter-3942/Overview#tab-Photos/1

Jon

tigercat2

Here are three Hortons; in this world, they were evaluated by the USAF and put into production as the first stealth fighter in the '50s.  The white/orange bird is the prototype, the black is for night ops and the blue/grey is for day ops.  From the Revell 1/72 kit.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Back to the beginning of this thread, concerning the nose gear, I agree that it is way too large and just does not "look right".  On my three Hortons, I used various nosewheels and associated struts from the spares box, they are about half the size of what came in the kit.

Wes W.

Taiidantomcat

I thought the prototype Horton had a B-24 nose wheel because that was what was on hand, I don't think it was meant for production models. And Mossie was referring to the Black Tornado ADV. Superb Arado by the way, you need to give us some more pics  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

famvburg

I think a B-24 nosewheel would be a lot smaller than what the Horten had. The prototype Ju 287 did use B-24 main landing gears as the nose gears, tho.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 05, 2009, 09:49:09 AM
I thought the prototype Horton had a B-24 nose wheel because that was what was on hand, I don't think it was meant for production models. And Mossie was referring to the Black Tornado ADV. Superb Arado by the way, you need to give us some more pics  :wub:

MartG

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 04, 2009, 10:54:27 PM

Ho 229 replica built for a National Geographic special mounted for radar tests.

The show is rather unfortunately (and incorrectly) titled Hitler's Stealth Fighter.  :banghead:

They claim it is built of "only 1940s materials", in the construction photos I don't see the steel tube
framework that formed the basis of the aircraft structure.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/hitler-s-stealth-fighter-3942/Overview#tab-Photos/1

Jon

I've just watched that, and noticed thet they also didn't replicate the original aircraft's use of plywood made using glue impregnated with carbon particles, which would absorb more radar energy than the standard plywood used to recreate it. BTW here's mine from last year http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21008.0/highlight,229.html
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

bluedonkey99

how about a  449 or 249?

Ho-249 a Ho-299 with 4x engines?

or

449 with 2  or 4 engines and extended wingspan ?   (maybe a b-29 high altitude intercepter?)

similar to how the he177, 274  or 277  was proposed to expand

or even the Ju-88 ju0188, Ju288, Ju388 Ju488?

Doc Yo

They were designed, sort of, though not under that designation. You're talking about the Ho XVIII bomber
projects of early 1945.

The design appears in three forms, two of which were pure Horten, and a third that resulted from
collaboration/interference* with Junkers & Messerschmidt.

Ho XVIII A

Ho XVIII B

The descriptions linked above are interesting, but after some thought they don't make a whole lot of
sense. Most of the complaints the Hortens had with the Junkers/Messerschmidt teams "contributions'
( Big Draggy fin, external engines ) seem compounded in the "B" design, with its big fixed gear fairings
and  external engine pods. I do admit to a prejudice in favor of the second "A" design, and I think given
their previous experience with the Ju 322, the Junkers engineers might have been on to something...

* The Hortons clearly considered it the latter. While I won't deny the beauty of a lot of their work, I'm
  not convinced they were the geniuses that conventional wisdom suggests...

Radish

Hi guys,

While waiting for the ski-equipped Bismarck to dry (it's been primed), I'm building a PM 1/72nd single seater.
Possibilities are:

de Havilland DH.229 "Vampire"...in RAF, Irish, Dutch, etc.. markings.
Northrop F-99 in USAF, Israeli markings.

I'm also building a Ho-229V 2-seater with "bat" wings. :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

JayBee

Ah Joe,
it does not take a leap of imagination to recognise Mistress Manneheim,s work! :cheers:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!