Cessna 172LR

Started by Eddie M., February 09, 2008, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 19, 2008, 06:27:31 PM
Quote from: Eddie M. on February 18, 2008, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 18, 2008, 06:31:01 PM
Ahem...I've been taking the meds for some time now but I must ask: Is it too late to convert it to a T-Tail?  Would give it just that little extra modern oomph.

After all, it's a clinically proven fact that T-Tails make any subject look 129% better.   :mellow:

So let it be written, so let it be done.....

YeeeeEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Moving at lightning speed on this one. :rolleyes: T-tail in place, but the wing props look a little small, so I might have to do something about that. ;D
   Eddie

Look behind you!

The Rat

Props look fine to me Eddie!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Eddie that rocks! That rocks so bad it looks like what K.I.S.S. rides to their favorite bass hole.

It looks great but you might have to get used to the winky props. I've never had more than two three bladed props in my spares boxes. Maybe you could go with two bladed props?

I guess you could get aftermarket props, but I'm a cheapskate. :lol:

Looking forward to your next installment,
Brian da Basher

Shasper

That thing needs BIGGER PROPS! *Tim Allen Grunting*

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 22, 2008, 08:51:45 PM

It looks great but you might have to get used to the winky props. I've never had more than two three bladed props in my spares boxes. Maybe you could go with two bladed props?

I guess you could get aftermarket props, but I'm a cheapskate. :lol:

Heh, heh, I seem to recall a certain project having contra-rotating props yet, and they were made from scratch.  I don't think Eddie will have any problem: he's a scratchbashing Whiffing fool!  Looks great, Eddie!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

In the hope of not making this anymore complicated than it has become :banghead:, this is the prop mod that I can live with. ;D
    Eddie

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

That'll work, too!  Say, just how would one get in and out of this leetle beastie?  The inboard engine nacelles now seem a little close for the normal "car-doors" configuration to work. 

Chap

Great work Eddie, I really like the way this one is turning out. The spinners are a great addition. I was thinking about this the other day, maybe instead of Rotax engines they could be electric motors. It would make this project more feasible almost like a hybrid car; gas powered with electric assist. Here's a link to an all electric "proof of concept" homebuilt by Sonex. http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=3ee41f10-02b3-4067-aace-fd579501c254#d

~Steve

Eddie M.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 24, 2008, 10:12:55 AM
That'll work, too!  Say, just how would one get in and out of this leetle beastie?  The inboard engine nacelles now seem a little close for the normal "car-doors" configuration to work. 

There's plenty of room! :rolleyes: From the side, the prop arc is line with the very front of the windscreen.:D
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Quote from: Chap on February 24, 2008, 11:14:20 AM
Great work Eddie, I really like the way this one is turning out. The spinners are a great addition. I was thinking about this the other day, maybe instead of Rotax engines they could be electric motors. It would make this project more feasible almost like a hybrid car; gas powered with electric assist. Here's a link to an all electric "proof of concept" homebuilt by Sonex. http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=3ee41f10-02b3-4067-aace-fd579501c254#d

~Steve

Excellent idea! It goes along with my original inspiration I got from NASA's Helios. The gas powered engine could drive a generator which could then produce electricity that could be stored in batteries to drive the wing mounted engines to save fuel. That and the nanotechnology and superconductivity that has been incorporated to the engines, makes for a very effecient aircraft.;)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

PanzerWulff

Quote from: Eddie M. on February 24, 2008, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 24, 2008, 10:12:55 AM

There's plenty of room! :rolleyes: From the side, the prop arc is line with the very front of the windscreen.:D
   Eddie
Or they could be sliding "Side of a van" type doors.Heh a "Minivan" with wings
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Orionblamblam

Quote from: Eddie M. on February 24, 2008, 11:37:37 AM

Excellent idea! It goes along with my original inspiration I got from NASA's Helios. The gas powered engine could drive a generator which could then produce electricity that could be stored in batteries to drive the wing mounted engines to save fuel. That and the nanotechnology and superconductivity that has been incorporated to the engines, makes for a very effecient aircraft.;)
   Eddie

In this case, you'd do better with a turboshaft engine rather than piston to drive the generator. Coupla reasons:
1: Turbine exhaust and noise are considered bad for cars, but clearly not for planes
2: Turbines can be more fuel efficient, and can use *more* fuels, than a piston
3: A piston engine all by itself produced no real thrust. But a turboshaft engine can produce a useful thrust. This would be handy in the event of an electrical system failure, as it would give the plane thrust to fly and land.

Brian da Basher

I really like the prop spinners Eddie and the "hybrid plane" idea is a great concept!

I wish I heard the voices you do!

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Quote from: Orionblamblam on February 24, 2008, 12:03:06 PM
Quote from: Eddie M. on February 24, 2008, 11:37:37 AM

Eddie

In this case, you'd do better with a turboshaft engine rather than piston to drive the generator. Coupla reasons:
1: Turbine exhaust and noise are considered bad for cars, but clearly not for planes
2: Turbines can be more fuel efficient, and can use *more* fuels, than a piston
3: A piston engine all by itself produced no real thrust. But a turboshaft engine can produce a useful thrust. This would be handy in the event of an electrical system failure, as it would give the plane thrust to fly and land.

Good observation. I'll see what I whip up. ;D
   Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Or they could be sliding "Side of a van" type doors. Heh a "Minivan" with wings
"Panzer"
[/quote]

Gentlemen, I believe we have a clear winner!  They use something like that on a lot of skydiving-related Cessnas, don't they?