Avro Manchester, Lancaster, Lancastrian, Lincoln, Shackleton

Started by nev, July 31, 2002, 11:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I remember a guy demonstrating a process to me using a nasty chemical soloution.  Not far off retirement, couldn't understand all this health & safety crap.  Cut corners, suceeded in covering my head in said nasty chemical.  Luckily I was wearing a face shield so didn't get it in the eye or mouth, or I might be tapping this out on braille keyboard, not to mention any respiratory problems & possibly cancer in the future.  Tw*t.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

raafif

bad work practices ...
5 years ago on a warbird bomber -- it had a dent in the tail underside, right on a frame.  "I know it all" owner (no quals) insisted that engineer just get a drift & hammer it out.
The engineer tried to argue the correct way to fix it then wisely let himself get fired instaed of continuing to work there.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

raafif

During WW2 only a few countries flew Lancasters -- Britain (with crews from UK, Canada, Australia & Sth Africa), Canada itself, Russia (three) and Germany (one aircraft).

Postwar several countries flew the Lancaster -- Britain, Canada, France (naval Aeronvale), New Zealand, Poland, Sweden, Egypt, Argentina & Pakistan. Only Three countries later flew the Lincoln -- UK, Australia & Argentina (three aircraft, one of which had the early Lancaster-style nose).

Russia
Three RAF aircraft, of the several that flew to Russia on the first leg for the attack on the Tirpitz in Norway, crashed on landing in Russia. Two were repaired & flown for a short time.

Germany
only 5 Avro Lancasters that could possibly be flown again fell on German occupied soil. Four were belly-landed and one reportedly landed wheels-down (reports from returning PoW crews, Resistance & Luftwaffe).

Only one was repaired & flown as this type had no secrets to offer -- it was used in night-fighter radar trials. Captured bombers often flew in their standard colours, but with large crosses, until a major service justified a repaint -- until then, they also often retained their RAF squadron-codes. According to the Luftwaffe test-pilot who flew it, the profile below is how it looked ...

Here is how it may have looked if flown in full "High-Vis" scheme (same as the captured Stirling later in its Luftwaffe career) ...

Whiffing ...
my "Lancaster in Japanese service" thread here ...  http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24041.0.html

in Italian service ...
after the '43 armistice the Rega Aeronautica gets surplus war-weary Lanc B.1's ... some fly with the Allies against Germany .... painted in the "smoke-ring" scheme.

others had the smoke-rings filled-in ...

while others are used to patrol their African colonies, Eritrea & Somalia ...

In the late 1950's, they fly against incursions by "liberation" rebels from French Morocco & surrounding areas.
The Lancasters were superceded by Lincoln "LRP" patrol aircraft based on the Australian-built long-nose version ...

The Lincolns were also used for Mediterranean patrols, intercepting refugees heading across from Africa.

Doing other Lincolns with tip-tanks & maybe a life-boat, any other ideas ??

another Lancaster thread here ... http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18854.0/highlight,lancaster.html

Weaver

Interesting profiles!  :thumbsup:

Since Lancaster/Lincolns (can't remember which) saw action in Kenya post war, how about the RAF left some behind for the Kenyan Airforce?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Lincolns in both Kenya and Malaya, nice profiles but white crosses are probably a bad idea if they areflown by an allied Italy (too easily mistaken )

raafif

Quote from: Arc3371 on August 01, 2009, 06:28:42 PM
but white crosses are probably a bad idea if they are flown by an allied Italy (too easily mistaken )

yeah, but circles are a little bit harder for me to do & are a bit boing (apart from the Tasmanian A.F. -- Tassie Tiger in an apple green roundel)

NARSES2

I like the Italian Lancs/Lincolns, fits in with my post war scenario where Italy keeps the Monarchy at the referendum and also is alowed to keep Tripolatania
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

raafif

along with the Mosquitoes, Beaufighters & later, Vampires, the Dominican Republic receives some Lincolns ...

Later they are camouflaged ...

After independence Nigeria remains part of the Commonwealth & uses a few Lancasters that were left behind ....

same for Kenya ...

that's it for me ... I'm all Lanc-ed--out for now ;D

Mossie

I just wandering the web after looking for stuff on the Shackleton when Lee posted a rumour about Tumpeter doing a Shack.  I was looking for pics of the mock up instalation of the Napier.  On the Key Publishng forum, I found a pic of the Napier Nomad mounted on the Lincoln testbed, but not the Shack with dummy wing mounted Nomads.

Does anyone have a pic of the Shack with Nomads?  Also on that page, I found the following snippets:

QuoteInterestingly, the Nomads would have required both new/additional cooling and fuelling systems. Avro was even planning an MR5 with four Nomads. Yet another projected Shak variant was to have used Wright Cyclone Radials.

QuoteThe Nomad idea was certainly for long endurance, but also because the projected phase updates would see the Mk.3 struggle with Griffons, hence the Viper upgrade in the other thread! SAAF Shacks never had the updates, hence they didn't require extra power.
The Mk.2 had an AUW of 86,000Ib, the final Mk.3s were operating at AUW110,000Ib, and the Mk.4 would have had 133,000 AUW.
The originaly proposed Mk.4 was to have four Nomads, but that later changed to Wright Cyclones.
Apparently RAF aircrews were mightily relieved that they wouldnt have to spend any longer in the aircraft than the maximum 18hrs that they were anyway!
The Shack/Nomad cooling systems were very neat, just using slits in the wing leading edge to feed the radiators.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

QuoteDoes anyone have a pic of the Shack with Nomads?

As I understand it, the trial conversion was never completed, so there probably aren't any pics other than possible artists impressions.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

From what I understand the Nomad was an option for the Shackleton MR.4
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on June 12, 2010, 03:43:20 PM
QuoteDoes anyone have a pic of the Shack with Nomads?

As I understand it, the trial conversion was never completed, so there probably aren't any pics other than possible artists impressions.

Regards,

Greg

Greg, the Key Publishing forum thread  I mentioned has a link to a pic, but it's broken, also somone mentions it's in a book on the Shackleton byt Chris Ashworth.  Link I forgot to add earlier:
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75095

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 12, 2010, 03:52:39 PM
From what I understand the Nomad was an option for the Shackleton MR.4

Thanks Robert, that's very interesting & good to see the proposed R.3350 instalation.

Gondor

Quote from: Radish on July 28, 2005, 03:07:54 AM
A soviet one could be a torpedo bomber....two mounted under the fuselage and one under each wing.
Hey....some great possibilities. :lol:  

Why put the torpedo's under the wings? The Lancaster was designed from the Manchester which had the carriage of two torpedo's in the bomb bay as part of the design specification. Look at the SAM Publications Modellers Data File number 4 which has that info in it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

tigercat

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on June 12, 2010, 04:36:04 PM
Greg, the Key Publishing forum thread  I mentioned has a link to a pic, but it's broken, also somone mentions it's in a book on the Shackleton byt Chris Ashworth.  Link I forgot to add earlier:
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75095

You can have a look at the website mentioned here.

The only pics shown of proposed Shackleton MR.4 is that of the proposed R.3350 installation (see here).  There is a description of the Napier Nomad installation though - see here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!