Ki-83 project

Started by matrixone, February 14, 2008, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here is some WIP pics of my Ki-83, I wanted to finish this in time for the Piston Perfection GB but building this model took far longer than I thought it would, the engine nacelles gave me a lot of trouble and took up most of the time during construction.

Here is the Model with its first color coat and pre-shading painted on the undersurfaces...

...and here it is with the end result of the pre-shading so far.

Here are two pics of the uppersurfaces after it was painted, the pre-shading is not easy to see in these shots which is exactly as it should be, after the markings and the weathering are on it the pre-shading will just barely be able to be seen. I did add a little post fading to the paint work because I wanted to model a Japanese a/c that had seen a long service life and many of their airplanes had faded paint on the uppersurfaces.

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

Love the faded effect; extremely realistic.  You going to pull out a new, Japanese-inspired diorama backdrop for this one?   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

matrixone

Thanks JMH,

No special Japanese diorama goodies this year, maybe next year I will do something like that. I have a number of kits of Japanese planes that need built first. After the Ki-83 is finished I will be building the long delayed He 100H-1, my goal is to have it done by April 1st. After that it will be a number of Fw 190s for the rest of the year, much depends on if there are no delays in getting Jerry Crandalls second volume of his Dora book. I have learned quite a bit from reading the first volume and while it only deals with real world planes it has given me many good ideas for future Focke-Wulf what-ifs, the JNM types will really hate me for what I have planned! ;D

Matrixone

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

Lovely, the green on that top came out juuuuuusssst right!

matrixone

Thanks ysi_maniac and cthulhu77!

The areas on the green top coat that I faded will not be as noticable after the markings and other weathering effects are added and should blend together well.

I am painting the yellow I.D. markings on the wings leading edges now.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

It's good to see another one of your wonderful projects Matrixone!

This one's gonna wear Finnish camo and markings right? Ooops another one to add to the Idea List.

I'm enjoying this immensely and look forward to your next update.

Brian da Basher

matrixone

Thanks Brian!

No Finn camo & markings on this one, this will be a Japanese what-if.

Matrixone

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

Thanks for looking Sisko,

I just finished spraying the yellow I.D. stripes on the wing leading edges and am now peeling off all the masking tape, its looking good so far. I will post more pics on Sunday.

Matrixone

matrixone

Here are some pics of the Ki-83 with markings on it...

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

You Sir, have got weathering/stainage down to a scientific art (or an artistic science?).

Nice!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Martin H

Baz.
I was thinking along the same lines LOL. this is turning into a master class for preshadeing and weathering.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

BlackOps

Looking at those meatballs makes me think you should have tried Greg's Spaghetti camo technique  :lol:

Looks great! I always enjoy your builds Matrix :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

matrixone

Thanks for lookin' JHM, Martin, and Jeff.

I will add some light paint chipping to this model and them its just a matter of adding the small bits to finish it.

Matrixone