Are these fuel tanks "real" or not?

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 17, 2008, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Found these in a very old 1:48 "Nichimo" brand P-51D Mustang kit.  I've never seen fuel tanks exactly like these on anything, WW2 or otherwise, so I thought they could add that "what-the-heck-is-this?" effect to all sorts of aircraft Whiffs.  They are similar to those carried on Corsairs but they don't line up with Tamiya, Monogram, or Hasegawa's representations of those tanks.

But I first wanted to check with you folks to see if maybe these are actually an accurate representation of some sort of fuel tank that I'm simply not familiar with. 

Can anyone I.D. what type fuel tanks these would be?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

B777LR

Looks like those any other P-51 carried, nothing whiff. The whiff aspect of it all, is the inaccuracy of it. Its too long!

See this photo:
http://www.historylink101.com/ww2photo/p-51-mustang.jpg

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep they're real, Barry, a wee bit mis-shapen perhaps but real..... have a dig around for pics of the VLR Mustangs based on Iwo Jima in June, July, August 1945, they carried these tanks as oposed to the more usual 'teardrop' or 'paper' type...... hang-on I'll have a quick Google and see if I can link a pic....  

Here you go, http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Profiles/PTO_Allies_20_USAAF.html, scroll right to the bottom of the page.

Here too - it's the 506th FG page.
http://www.506thfightergroup.org

HTH

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Jeffry Fontaine

Barry,

Considering the age of the Nichimo mold you are looking at what we would call "artistic interpretation" of what the real fuel tanks looked like.  The overall shape alludes to the 108 gallon paper tank blended with the 75 gallon metal drop tank.  Perfect for a WHIF but not for portraying a real drop tank as used on the P-51 or any other aircraft of that era.  You might want to consider using them for wing tip mounted fuel tanks after removing the small pylon.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Ian the Kiwi Herder

In the Monogram F-80 there are spare tanks of the exact same type. I used them on a Tamiya P-51 I built as a VLR machine many years back - it's still in the cabinet. I take your point Jeff - however, in my opinion it looks like Nichimos attempt at producing the same, as I say a wee bit mis-shapen, but definitely not a flight of fancy.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

The ones in the P-80 kit are 100 gallon, whereas the usual fillting for P-51s was 75 gallon...UNLESS they were in Northern Europe and used British designed "paper" tanks of 108 gallon, or were in the far east.
There might have been examples using the huge Lockheed tanks (as for the P-38) which was certainly used on the P-47 in the Far East.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 17, 2008, 12:50:50 PM
In the Monogram F-80 there are spare tanks of the exact same type. I used them on a Tamiya P-51 I built as a VLR machine many years back - it's still in the cabinet. I take your point Jeff - however, in my opinion it looks like Nichimos attempt at producing the same, as I say a wee bit mis-shapen, but definitely not a flight of fancy.

Ian

Ian, do you mean these tanks on the right?  I think I may have scavenged this kit (who am I kidding?  I KNOW I scavenged this kit) so I might not have the tanks you're thinking of.

If this is the case, then I think everybody is correct, including B777LR.  In fact, these are not only too long, they are also too bulbous fore and aft.  In other words, PERFECT for a slight Whiff factor!  Thanks, guys.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Radish on February 17, 2008, 02:32:20 PMThe ones in the P-80 kit are 100 gallon, whereas the usual fillting for P-51s was 75 gallon...UNLESS they were in Northern Europe and used British designed "paper" tanks of 108 gallon, or were in the far east.  There might have been examples using the huge Lockheed tanks (as for the P-38) which was certainly used on the P-47 in the Far East.

There were also the larger ferry tanks used only for transit from one location to another and not designed for the stresses of maneuvering in combat.  I would really like to see a 1/48th scale ferry tank for the P-38, it was about twice the size of the standard drop tank that was used on the P-38 and had the same overall shape, just larger. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

famvburg

They almost look like some of the Grumman tanks used on the F8F & F7F, just not a pointed on the ends.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 17, 2008, 12:06:09 PM
Found these in a very old 1:48 "Nichimo" brand P-51D Mustang kit.  I've never seen fuel tanks exactly like these on anything, WW2 or otherwise, so I thought they could add that "what-the-heck-is-this?" effect to all sorts of aircraft Whiffs.  They are similar to those carried on Corsairs but they don't line up with Tamiya, Monogram, or Hasegawa's representations of those tanks.

But I first wanted to check with you folks to see if maybe these are actually an accurate representation of some sort of fuel tank that I'm simply not familiar with. 

Can anyone I.D. what type fuel tanks these would be?

Brian da Basher

Those would make killer spats! :wub:

Brian da Basher

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 18, 2008, 12:58:35 PM

Brian da Basher

Is there such a thing as dualie-wheeled spats? (side-by-side or in tandem) 

Brian da Basher

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 19, 2008, 06:13:34 PM
Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 18, 2008, 12:58:35 PM

Brian da Basher

Is there such a thing as dualie-wheeled spats? (side-by-side or in tandem) 

Everything is possible in Whiff-World, Mr Howling Mouse!

Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 18, 2008, 12:58:35 PMThose would make killer spats!

Enough material there to make a set of tandem wheel spats or even better, a set of twin tandem wheel spats.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: jeffryfontaine on February 20, 2008, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: Brian da Basher on February 18, 2008, 12:58:35 PMThose would make killer spats!

Enough material there to make a set of tandem wheel spats or even better, a set of twin tandem wheel spats.

Yes, yes!  I'm thinking "oversized Antonov An-2 with tandem dualie spats"  (we've lost Brian now for the rest of the evening, haven't we?   :lol: