RAAF F-104

Started by david sMiGielski, February 17, 2008, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david sMiGielski

I haven't had the opportunity to finish my EF-2000 (bad weather, illness, etc). However, I did find some time this afternoon to start a project I've had  on the drawing board for awhile: a 1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G built as an RAAF F-104AS during Wild Weasel (Star Weasel?) trials circa 1980. So far all I've done is modify the rear instrument panel with new radar screens. Still trying to decide if I'm going to include a crew in this one. Anyone know what RAAF flight suits from the late 1970s-early 1980s looked like?

More as things progress.

How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

Captain Canada

Right on....104s would make an awesome weasel......fast and low ! I built a CDN one years ago. Looked so good with that big missile under the little wing.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

K5054NZ

Sounds fantastic David! Wild Weasel has to be one of the coolest jet roles in history, in my mind at least.

:lol: :lol: Anyone for an RAAF twin-stick F-104 group build? How many others are underway?  :wub: :wub:

bluntie

Hello David ,
                i like the sound of this one!..will be watching with great intrest...
                as for the flight suits ,pretty sure they were olive drab with light grey helmets.
                pretty close to USAF Issue,but if you pop over to aussie modeler some one should be
                able to help you out.
                                                  Cheers.
my hovercraft is full of eels

Radish

Well I thought RAAF Flying Suits were all PINK, but I could be mistaken.
And Squadron Leaders always wore a boa as a sign of rank.
Did you know that the G-suit was designed after a man saw his wife wearing stockings and suspenders?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

K5054NZ

Quote from: Radish on February 18, 2008, 11:34:19 AM
Did you know that the G-suit was designed after a man saw his wife wearing stockings and suspenders?

Have you any pics of the incident in question? I'm inclined to demand them.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Psssst, David.... wanna buy some (slightly) used Shrikes ?

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

david sMiGielski

Heh heh, you read my mind. I've got a pair of Shrikes on standby. I'm just trying to decide if I want to put AIM-9s on the wingtips instead of tanks. I think this plane will be really fast and really deadly but only out to about 300 miles. Which means it needs in flight refueling...hmm....another idea... :wacko:

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 19, 2008, 06:45:00 AM
Psssst, David.... wanna buy some (slightly) used Shrikes ?

Ian
How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

GTX

Looking forward to seeing the final result of this one.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

david sMiGielski

Cockpit is pretty much finished and the fuselage is together.

I didn't really like Hasegawa's GQ-7 seats, so I decided to use a pair of resin Mk. H-7s that should really go in an F-4. I'm really happy with how they turned out. I've also included a shot of the painted rear instrument panel with the photoetched radar screens.

John Howling Mouse

Those seats sure look fantastic.  I keep looking for updates on this build....thanks for this latest.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

David, this looks fantastic! Those seats look better than many I've had in my 1/1 vehicles  :lol:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

david sMiGielski

I need to hear people's thoughts. I'm planning on putting a refueling probe on the fuselage and Shrikes under the wings, but I'm not sure about wing tanks. I'm considering two options: wingtip tanks with dual AIM-9s on the belly of the airframe, or AIM-9s on the wingtips, with no tanks.

But I'm torn. What does everyone think?

Captain Canada

Oh you gotta have the wingtip tanks. 104s are pretty much useless without them ! I think they look much cooler that way as well. The 'winders would look pretty cool, tho. But so would another tank and or a pod or something.....or some of those skinny AIM-120s.

Cheers !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Keep the tip-tanks, Luuuuuuke.

Makes me wonder: why do so few a/c have wingtop-mounted missile pylons?  Like the Jaguar and (I think) the Lightning can carry missiles and/or fueltanks above their wings but I don't know of any other a/c that feature this capability.  Could the Starfighter use this?  It's not like its wing generated a lot of lift via airfoil, anyhow, right? 

Maybe it would look too goofy, though.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.