First T-Tail Aircraft?

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 20, 2008, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Just occurred to me today that I don't know what the very first operational T-Tail aircraft was.

Does anyone know or can fling in a guess?

There really should be a museum exclusively dedicated to T-Tails.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

In its purest form, I'd say the F-104.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

XF-88 and F-101 both preceded the F-104.

What about the Ta-183 and the MiG-15?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

My guess is you'd have to go back further than that. I seem to recall some early Curtiss designs having something close to a T-tail. If you're talking mass-production, that's another story.

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Barry, the T-Tail was a design signature of Hans Multhopp who was the Chief Designer at Focke Wulfe during the war.  The Ta.183 was his design BTW, not Kurt Tank'.  After the war he went to RAE in the UK where he designed the RAE Transonic Research Aircraft (a stretched out Ta.183 powered by an Avon) which didn't get built but then he moved on to work at Martin.  It was there he designed the XB-51 which flew in a competition against the Canberra and I think some of the research went to McDonnell for the XF-101. 

Messerschmitt also used his research in one version of the Me.1101 too.  The XF-88 didn't have a T-Tail BTW.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

gooberliberation

Quote from: jeffryfontaine on February 20, 2008, 05:34:56 PM
What about the Ta-183 and the MiG-15?

The Lavochkin La-168 and La-15 had even purer t-tails than the MiG-15, the latter of which was operational by 1949.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

jcf

The Ta-183 was never built let alone operational, and the MiG 15 does not have a T-tail, it has a cruciform empennage.

The Curtiss XF15C-1 of 1946 was the first jet-age powered aircraft to fly with a true T-tail.

The MiG I-270 rocket fighter design dates to the same period, and began glide tests at the end of 1946.
The only other MiG with a T-tail was the I-360(SM-2), but it was soon modified and had its horizontal surfaces moved down to the fuselage.

The first operational major service type fighter to have a T-tail was the Gloster Javelin, the prototype preceded the F-101 and the F-104 prototypes into the air by two years. The Javelin entered service with No.46 Squadron in February, 1956; the F-101A with the 27th Strategic Fighter Wing in May, 1957, and the F-104A with the 83rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron in January, 1958.
The first operational service type bomber with a T-tail was the Victor, although the Martin B-51 had flown much earlier.

Jon

Radish

Britain FIRST then....in operational use.

Lovely F-104s...mmmmmmmmm.

Meanwhile, what's next for the T-tail treatment?
F-86 Sabre?
F-4 Phantom?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

kitnut617

You might be interested in this design, Petter did this very early in the EE P.1 concept stage using research of Multhopp'

Edit: Oop! sorry didn't expect the image to come out that big,  Phil Butler gave me this BTW.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

philp

Hobbes,
They mean T tail, not t tail :blink:

Got this off the first-to-fly site
1913 Wright Model F  -- This was the first Wright aircraft with a fuselage. This fuselage, they found, eliminated the need for the blinkers. It was also the first airplane with a T-tail -- the Wright Company moved the elevator to rest atop the rudder.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

B777LR

Quote from: Radish on February 21, 2008, 01:55:09 AM

F-86 Sabre?
F-4 Phantom?

Hmm, the F-86 shouldnt be a full T-tail, but more like a mid set t-tail (not the small t), ala MiG-15

jcf

Quote from: B777LR on February 21, 2008, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: Radish on February 21, 2008, 01:55:09 AM

F-86 Sabre?
F-4 Phantom?

Hmm, the F-86 shouldnt be a full T-tail, but more like a mid set t-tail (not the small t), ala MiG-15

Mid-set "t-tails" are generally referred to as cruciform tails. The Fairey Barracuda, Westland Whirlwind, Caravelle, MiG 15 etc. are all examples of cruciform tails.

Jon

Radish

Anyone got a photo of the Hunter mock-up?
I can scan one from the "Hunter In Action" book, Baz? :wacko:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Radish on February 22, 2008, 10:39:22 AM
Anyone got a photo of the Hunter mock-up?
I can scan one from the "Hunter In Action" book, Baz? :wacko:

Would be appreciated if you could.  Mmmmm, t-tails, cruciform tails...they're all good, baby.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.