SST as Air Force One

Started by KJ_Lesnick, February 22, 2008, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

If either Lockheed or Boeing were actually able to develop the SST, do you think it would have eventually ended up as Air Force One? 

(Also, since both planes to the best of my knowledge featured FBW, do you think some fighters like the F-14 and F-15 would have featured it as it would have been state of the art, and do you think it would have appeared on transport aircraft earlier?) 

Kendra
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Mossie

Hi Kendra, welcome to the What If Forum!

I think there's a good chance.  Both the aircraft that the USAF have fielded as Air Force One have been, at the time, the largest & arguably most prestigous US aircraft available at the time.  The Boeing SST would definately have had the prestige & was also large enough.  IMHO Air Force one is only partly about shuttling the President about, it's mostly about flag waving & the Boeing SST would have done that very well.

I thought about this myself some time ago, but I'll probably never build it.  The Revell 1/200 SST is probably large enough that you could cross it with the decals from one of Minicrafts 1/144 Air Force One kits.

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

As I understand, the F-15A did have a FBW system of sorts, named CAS:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avf15_1.html

This was an analogue system, and it was used in combination with conventional hydraulic controls.

I don't know if Boeing and Lockheed would have been willing to share their FBW data and experience with McDonnell (F15) or Grumman (F-14), though. The FX (that resulted in the F-15) and VFX (F-14) competitions might have turned out differently if Boeing and Lockheed had competed with SST-derived FBW.

KJ_Lesnick

Were all the control-surfaces on the F-15 controlled with redundant analog FBW, with mechanical-backup?  To my knowledge, the SST, and even the CF-105 Arrow used a similar set-up...

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Archibald

I've asked myslef similar questions some years ago during my "CF-105 phase".  ;D

From what I understood, this

QuoteAs I understand, the F-15A did have a FBW system of sorts, named CAS:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avf15_1.html
This was an analogue system, and it was used in combination with conventional hydraulic controls.

was common with lots of others aircrafts of the time. Seems there was two kind of "partial FBW" at the time

-  the CAS + hydraulics on one hand (used on the X-15 and Lifting bodies)

-  the computored air intakes (F-15, XB-70, SR-71, Tomcat used it, among lots of others).

You forgot the DynaSoar... and Concorde!
Seems both used a FBW rather similar to the Arrow. and btw its seems the Lunar Module had some kind of FBW, too.

There was also these Phantom and Crusader prototypes of 1972...

Not a Boeing 2707 I agree, but still a supersonic boeing airliner : I've build a AF1 Sonic Cruiser one year ago http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15637.0/highlight,sonic%20cruiser.html
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

If im not mistaken, the aircraft type used for Air Force one must have been in service for a certain amount of time before being allowed to carry the president, hence the current aircraft being the "old" 747-200, built when Boeing didnt offer the -200 anymore, but only the -400.

KJ_Lesnick

I think its 5 or 10 years before it can be used as Air Force One.  There's a good reason for this; it's to make sure the plane's safety record is good, and any flaws in the design have already been seen.

Kendra

B777LR

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 26, 2008, 11:28:24 AM
I think its 5 or 10 years before it can be used as Air Force One.  There's a good reason for this; it's to make sure the plane's safety record is good, and any flaws in the design have already been seen.

I dont think the next AF1 will be a Crash-8-Q400 then... ;D