Started by Radish, February 22, 2008, 11:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Sabre F.2 and F.4 as in reality.
Sabre F.6= Canadair Sabre 6
Sabre F(AW)7= F-86D...only a few used.
Sabre F(AW)8= F-86K/L
Sabre FR.9= RF-86F
Sabre FB.10....new F-86Fs and all remaining F-86s brought up to F-86F-40 standard.
Sabre GA.11..for Royal Navy use as an armament trainer.
Sabre DR.12....drone conversion

Possible colours/markings/schemes.....

NATO as in reality; PR Blue for Europe and silver for british Home bases (undersurfaces)
Desert scheme...sand/dark earth/azure blue...112 Sqn?
PR Blue plus medium sea grey for the FR version?
Silver?
111 Sqn flies "The Black Arrows"
92 Sqn flies "The Blue Diamonds"
74 Sqn flies a Tiger-striped version
RN ones...Dark sea Grey and white.
Final ones remaining....grey for air defence units, RAuxAF.

Lots of Sidewinders fitted.

Eh?

Might even build one or two, especially that Blue Diamonds one.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Jennings

I'm way ahead of ya.  I'm about to head to work for the weekend, but I've already got some of those done or started.  I like some of the ideas too!

J

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Radish

That is truly magnificent, Mr.J :wacko:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Radish on February 22, 2008, 11:22:16 AMSabre FB.10....new F-86Fs and all remaining F-86s brought up to F-86F-40 standard.

No chance of that Sabre FB.10 being an F-86H?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

That's a really eye-catching scheme.

Brian da Basher

noxioux

Striking scheme, there.  You might want to add some navalized Furies in there, too. . .

Captain Canada

Go for it, Radish ! The Sabre is one sexy aeroplane......a true classic !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dragon

Personally I think the scheme might look better on a D/K/L with either a black, white, or red nose. :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Radish

The F-86H can be figured in as an SABRE FG.14.

The "Blue Diamonds" of 92 Sqn are traditionally a Day Fighter unit, but an all-blue D/K/L Sabre Dog in Blue could look good.
As a variation, the upper fuselage could sport a large, distended white diamond?

How about the "Golden Wolves"....one for Mr.Wren....of all gold with a Black Wolf's head on the fin, black trim? Certainly on a Sabre Dog as radar is essential in the murky Black Country :lol: :lol: :lol:

kitbasher

I agree with the F-86D = Sabre F.7, it would have appeared a logical progression.  I only say that because my cheap 'n' cheerful Airfix F-86D wot wos got from Telford for almost nothing has been planned for  awhile as 112 Sqn F.7.  Why 112 Sqn?  Because of the sharkmouth possibilities - not the wet, smiley thing that adorned their Sabre F.4s but a snarling bitey version either based on the kit decals or from an Airfix Kittyhawk.  RAF Germany colours, of course - Dark Sea Grey, Dark Green and PRU Blue - because that's where the squadron flew Sabres in reality.
Armament?  I think the RAF probably would have wanted to stick with cannons rather than the rocket packs (which I guess means that actually what I'm talking about is a K rather than a D, but if British procurement is anything to go by the Govt would have possibly insisted on an Avon to power the thnig!)).  I think 2 IR missles would have been a reasonable assumptions - AIM-9Bs or Firestreaks, though?
I think the former is probably the more likely option (and my plot is to use spare/scrap Airfix F-84 pylons/rails), but if the 'F.7' was also used as guided weapons development airframes instead of Swift F.7s, then I guess Firestreak testing (as well as Fireflash trials) are not entirely beyond the realms of possibility.
OK so that's me finally committed to this project!  Do we want to see 'productions' on this thread as a theme (so not exactly a GB?)
  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Howard of Effingham

the drone conversion rad' has to be in that orange and yellow scheme that the meteor D.16's wore.

nice project line.

oh! just as a reminder modeldecal #97 which covers RAF sabres has a RAF wing cdr's markings which
naturally are a sabre....  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

Radish

There's of course the Raspberry ripple ones and I'm pretty sure the Drone has been done (same for the Ripple) by Mr.J earlier. :wacko:

Cannons seem the more likely route (hence the K") than just missiles, but remember, missiles were the favoured option of the period, so a D/L acquisition is likely too.

I've 3 "D" kits, but they're all dedicated to USAF schemes (me being in the USAF SIG), but I might acquire another for RAF purposes. I've lots of HobbyBoss kits to play with though.

And remember, the big sharky mouth can fit an F just as well as a D...look at some USAF and Taiwan ones!
112 Sqn can have Sabre F.6s.

Snow-camouflaged 54 Sqn ones in Norway on excercise?

And then there are the RAf "Free Polish Squadrons" that have red/white trim, etc.. and typical traditional unit insignia. Operating in Germany, at home (ie UK) and in the Middle East. :wacko:

Jennings

Did the drone a while back too...

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Radish

P1127

Remember the day-glo Javelin that was used by AAEE.............
It's not an effing  jump jet.